What British comfort would you like to see on your ex-UK cruise on a non-UK ship?

kelly@

I hope the balance is struck right, there are loads of British people who go away abroad and still want to eat fish and chips, pork chops, pies etc but also many others who want to experience local cuisine.

Re Mushy peas, I'm as Southern as they come and love mushy peas with fish & chips.

Why limit it to food though?

I say a roaring log fire in each cabin with sheep skin rug.

Or for that true British experience maybe hire in groups of chavs to hang around outside bars to hurl abuse at passers by :)

I'm really looking forward to my Eclipse cruise in July but fear British style entertainment could mean an appearance by Jim Davidson :eek:

Sorry Jim not available but straight off the North Pier at Blackpool you can have "Roy Chubby Brown"...........The most vulgar comedian going ( worse than Bernard Manning).....please take him away from us....

We choose a non UK cruise line to get away from Uk "Chavs". If we wanted a home from home we would go to Benidorm!!! Where they have the Fish & Chip shops.....and English cafes....

I wonder who celebrity have been talking to to come up with the ideas ??

Scotslizzy

Dick Van Dyke's cockney voice coach maybe?;)

I'll echo what some others have said. I really like to feel I am away from the home comforts so none of the "British" add-ons would appeal. One of the only reasons I look forward to coming home at all is for a really good cup of tea and if I can get that on the ship (doubtful with the de-salinated water) together with a cheese and Branston Pickle sandwich I may never return at all.

I did go to see Roy Chubby Brown at Blackpool once. I can see where that could lead. Get him on the ship and Gordon #&^*!!! Ramsay could do the cooking.:)

Phil

I did go to see Roy Chubby Brown at Blackpool once. I can see where that could lead. Get him on the ship and Gordon #&^*!!! Ramsay could do the cooking.:)

Phil

Ha ha, all we need now is Basil Fawlty as head waiter and Ted Bovis as Cruise Director and we almost have the perfect experience. :D

Knobbly Knees competition anyone?

I also don't know who Celebrity have been talking to ?? mushy peas !!!!!

Are you listening Celebrity:

ENGLISH BACK BACON, ENGLISH BACK BACON, ENGLISH BACK BACON, ENGLISH BACK BACON........

I totally agree with tea/coffee making facilities in the cabin - not that I drink tea/coffee (hubby drinks coffee) but I would borrow the kettle for making my hot choc at night instead of having to go 'up-top'. I know I could get the room steward to bring me some hot water but it is never hot enough for me - I like it virtually boiling.

I also agree with lemon meringue and I make do with their apple pie but they never have CUSTARD - now why can't we get real custard???

Don't really want any British performers, we had a couple on our last cruise in Oct last year - didn't like them at all but the americans thought they were great - did have a very rowdy crowd on this cruise that might explain it!!

We had a 'British Night' Buffet on our Baltic Cruise a few years ago, X did OK, steak & kidney pie, had 'proper' chips, the fish was very small chunks in batter - very nice. Had loads of other 'British' stuff including scones, sherry trifle, muffins etc. etc. really enjoyed it until a german woman pushed in whilst we were waiting for the empty trays to be replenished - thought she hadn't eaten for a week - she took loads of stuff and then left it on a table. Think she realised why we were waiting after she had pushed us all to one side and she had made such an outburst that I don't think she was going to que again to get what she had really pushed in for!!!!!

We are on the maiden voyage(s) of the Eclipse in April, will report back on any 'British' additions to the menu.

Lyn

I can't see why it should be a problem getting proper bacon etc. On the Indy in Nov (which is of course effectively the same company) we had back bacon, proper thick sausages, black pudding (admittedly a bit over fried) and beans (which apparently Americans don't have for breakfast) each day. We then went on to a back to back on the Explorer. On the first cruise they had none of the above and we were back to those thin chipolata type sausages. We mentioned this to one of the 'white shirt' guys working in the Windjammer and he said this would be changed on the next cruise (Xmas and New Year), because there were so many Brits coming on. Sure enough, back bacon, proper sausages etc were in the (with a nice sign) "English Breakfast Corner", so heres hoping Celebrity sort it out for the Eclipse. There is nothing like a proper brekkie to set you up for the day!

Simon

hot water but it is never hot enough for me - I like it virtually boiling.

This is the real problem on ships or in the US, they never use boiling water. Proper tea can only be made with boiling water.

but they never have CUSTARD - now why can't we get real custard???

Sorry, yet again, they had reasonable real custard with English style deserts in the buffet eery lunchtime on Infinity in November.

I am beginning to wonder if they we experimenting in preparation for Eclipse on our cruise.

Personaly, I do not want too much home-style food when on holiday but eating British style curries followed by Bristish style puddings and custard in the buffet at lunchtime in the sun was naughty but nice.

I agree with the other tea "voters" here, as a decent cup of tea is what I would be after. Might even go so far as to be served in mug, as I do like a big cup of tea. If a mug is not to everyone's taste, they could maybe buy proper china mugs. Now, I have just hit on an idea, they could sell these in the shops with the logo. Sorry, if they already do this.

I didn't like the idea of British food on Celebritly, and then I thought of our trip transatlantic on the Queen Mary for our Silver Wedding anniversary. Yes, they served things like fish and chips in the bar at lunchtime and it was good. I suppose it all depends on how it is prepared and served etc.

Oh, for a decent cup of tea when you are on holiday.

Arlene

Kettle and coffee in the rooms with proper mugs and proper milk and proper teaspoons.

Otherwise I cruise X to get the USA service and style, and of course the gorgeous crispy crunchy cremated American bacon.... !!

So please don't make her too English. X is not P&O and long may it stay that way!;)

Welsh wizard that looks good. Just what I need after my lunch. As it's friday it was fish & chips with double (very) mushy peas.:D

Do you deliver as I am just getting ready to serve the comfort food to my customers and don't have time to make one before we open!!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Phil...your wish is my command...;)

Are you still sailing on the Eclipse TA in Nov. ?

Flippin' 'eck Jenny, thanks. I think I've just died and gone to heaven:D

Yes, still on for Eclipse later this year. I'm not roll called up for it yet, but I'm looking forward to seeing you and Mike again. We didn't get enough of a chance to chat last time.

Phil

English Muffin

The Aqualina chef cooked up the most amazing bread and butter pudding on Azamara Quest last May. Absolutely the best I have ever eaten!

Hello Project girl

Well being a "Brit " you would know what proper bread & butter pudding should taste like. The one on HAL on our last cruise you could use it to paste wallpaper. But saying this a lot of people like the American style B&B pudding. You cant win!

Sorry Jim not available but straight off the North Pier at Blackpool you can have "Roy Chubby Brown"...........The most vulgar comedian going ( worse than Bernard Manning).....please take him away from us....

We choose a non UK cruise line to get away from Uk "Chavs". If we wanted a home from home we would go to Benidorm!!! Where they have the Fish & Chip shops.....and English cafes....

here here.....

Just back from Millennium, which was our first ever cruise. Food was very good in the MDR especially the beef. I certainly would not be looking for pies and mushy peas. What I would have liked to see would have been a "local" dish per night - Given that we were in the carribean I was disappointed that we didn't have any carribean food.

Only "English" thing I would like is decent tea. It was OK in cafe as made own but in the MDR for breakfast they never put the tea bag in so the water is not boiling. Please note that tea bags only work if you put them in the pot then pour boiling water on them - order = tea, boiling water then milk or whatever you want to put in it!

Just back from Millennium, . . . Given that we were in the carribean I was disappointed that we didn't have any carribean food.

I felt the same way when we cruised on Millennium a year ago, from Australia to New Zealand. Both of these countries have beautiful fish, but what we were offered at dinner was fish that had been frozen, and it came from South Africa!

Thanks for all the comments! Reading through the thread, there are some great ideas!

Personally, for me, mushy peas are a no-no, but I definitely agree that tea making facilities in the cabin is a good idea.

Guests sailing out of Southampton on the new Celebrity Eclipse this April will be delighted to find a few home comforts onboard -- if you consider mushy peas and steak and kidney pie to be home comforts, that is.

Celebrity has unveiled a host of Brit-friendly aspects to the new vessel, sister to Celebrity Solstice and Celebrity Equinox. Menus have been tweaked, entertainment tailored to British tastes and onboard lecturers and "enrichment" made more appropriate to a U.K. audience.

So, we want to know -- what British comforts would you like to see on your ex-U.K. cruise on a non-U.K. ship? Vote in our poll!

Please please Celebrity, as they say in the song..Stay as sweet as you are!!

Archived