Disappointed in NCL

rs12065

Just found out late last evening that our 10/30/2010 cruise has been canceled in order to make the Sun available for a charter. I can understand the cancellation of our booking. What annoys me to no end is the lack of communication from NCL.

If our traveling companions had not found out about our cancellation, I would still be wondering if we were still on that cruise or not. "MY NCL" profile still lists this cruise as an active reservation for us.

For the last week or so we have read on these boards all kinds of speculation regarding this cruise, from drydocking of the Sun, to mistakes made by NCL regarding cabin costs to the chartering of the ship.

We have never before cruised on NCL, being very satisfied with both Princess and Celebrity, but we chose this cruise because of the exotic itinerary (Key West on Halloween, Guatemala, Belize City and Cozumel where I want my wife to see the beach at Tulum) and the fact that it fit into our schedule. However, NCL was never forthcoming as to the reason the cruise was cancelled until last evening. In the last week our traveling companion has called our TA repeatedly and even she was not able to find out anything concrete from NCL.

This is an example of incredibly poor customer service and is the reason that we might rebook a different cruise with another cruiseline.

We really did want to try NCL and "Freestyle" cruising, but we are wary of dealing with NCL again.

Dr. Bob

Just found out late last evening that our 10/30/2010 cruise has been canceled in order to make the Sun available for a charter. I can understand the cancellation of our booking. What annoys me to no end is the lack of communication from NCL.

If our traveling companions had not found out about our cancellation, I would still be wondering if we were still on that cruise or not. "MY NCL" profile still lists this cruise as an active reservation for us.

For the last week or so we have read on these boards all kinds of speculation regarding this cruise, from drydocking of the Sun, to mistakes made by NCL regarding cabin costs to the chartering of the ship.

We have never before cruised on NCL, being very satisfied with both Princess and Celebrity, but we chose this cruise because of the exotic itinerary (Key West on Halloween, Guatemala, Belize City and Cozumel where I want my wife to see the beach at Tulum) and the fact that it fit into our schedule. However, NCL was never forthcoming as to the reason the cruise was cancelled until last evening. In the last week our traveling companion has called our TA repeatedly and even she was not able to find out anything concrete from NCL.

This is an example of incredibly poor customer service and is the reason that we might rebook a different cruise with another cruiseline.

We really did want to try NCL and "Freestyle" cruising, but we are wary of dealing with NCL again.

Dr. Bob

Dr Bob,

I am not going to necessarily defend NCL on this one, but I am wondering how hard your agent tried to get the information. I am not doubting her or him either, I am simply wondering what really happened. You do have a right to be very upset, but as a travel consultant I do know how often this happens. As long as it is 6 months or more from sailing all companies do this from time to time. I think it is very unfair, but it is also business.

Nita

Dr Bob,

I am not going to necessarily defend NCL on this one, but I am wondering how hard your agent tried to get the information. I am not doubting her or him either, I am simply wondering what really happened. You do have a right to be very upset, but as a travel consultant I do know how often this happens. As long as it is 6 months or more from sailing all companies do this from time to time. I think it is very unfair, but it is also business.

Nita

i'm with you nita. had this happened within a month of the sailing date...sure, i'd be upset. but c'mon...we're talking october.

disappointing? yes.

pain-in-the-arse to figure out an alternate plan? yes.

worth sharing a fact of business on CC? yes.

necessary to slam NCL on CC? i think not.

Have you people not read my post? I know I can book another cruise, and fortunately we have much lead time to do so.

Yes, our TA called NCL everyday, including the department which deals with charters.

My distress rests with how NCL handled this, not in the charter or loss of the itinerary.

NCL handled this badly, leaving many people in the dark by removing this cruise from their website, and its disappearance from Travelocity, Expedia, etc, and not contacting people earlier.

I don't need to be lectured "that into life a little rain must fall". The point being made, which was missed by responders so far, is that my first experience with NCL is not a good one, and gives one pause to consider doing business with them.

I do not look at the cruise being cancelled as some sort of catastrophe or major disappointment, because there are many other fish in the sea (pun intended). My gripe is with how this was all handled, not in the actual chartering and cancellation. This was a complaint about customer service, not the loss of a particular cruise.

Dr. Bob

I do think NCL can do a better job of notifying booked customers when a change occurs.

We had a situation where we had booked a cruise specifically because it had a stop in Key West. We found out that the itinerary was changed and that Key West was dropped and a stop in the Bahamas was added. It was the way we found out that was disappointing. It was from the cruise critic message board and not from NCL directly or through my TA.

Dr. Bob

Have you people not read my post? I know I can book another cruise, and fortunately we have much lead time to do so.

Yes, our TA called NCL everyday, including the department which deals with charters.

My distress rests with how NCL handled this, not in the charter or loss of the itinerary.

NCL handled this badly, leaving many people in the dark by removing this cruise from their website, and its disappearance from Travelocity, Expedia, etc, and not contacting people earlier.

I don't need to be lectured "that into life a little rain must fall". The point being made, which was missed by responders so far, is that my first experience with NCL is not a good one, and gives one pause to consider doing business with them.

I do not look at the cruise being cancelled as some sort of catastrophe or major disappointment, because there are many other fish in the sea (pun intended). My gripe is with how this was all handled, not in the actual chartering and cancellation. This was a complaint about customer service, not the loss of a particular cruise.

Dr. Bob

so what's your real issue?

1) not knowing earlier?

2) not knowing WHY it's being cancelled?

3) poor NCL customer service in telling your TA what the deal is?

i have no idea when NCL decided to cancel your cruise. but don't you think that NCL needs time to organize themselves so they can properly give you all the details you are looking for? seems like a week was a pretty quick turnaround for answers. as for staying on top of your TA to do so...EVERYONE should do that regularly, right down to the week of sailing.

i also don't know if your TA was an online provider...nor will i speculate. all i know is...i'll pass up a good online deal simply so i can book directly with NCL where they have more control of my reservation.

SOOOO your upset because you found info on CC before it was released by the cruise line? Isn't that why we all use this website? You stated that NCL notified you last night, that's basically 10 months in advance. I would not blame NCL because you found the info before NCL officially announced it. Tell your TA to rebook a new cruise and ask NCL for an on-board credit. Problem solved!!! Dave

You think NCL would of learned after the Rosie cruises a few years ago where NCL continued to book the general public while the charter group was taking bookings at the same time. The interest NCL makes on deposits must be a factor.

Dr. Bob

Bob, don't want to start another world war, but I would love to know how your TA knew who was in charge of charters? I think you may have meant the group desk and they would not make that information available until everything was signed, sealed and delivered..I have never heard of a desk in charge of charters per say.

Barbgazz, you are right, Cozumel is anything but an exoctic port..In fact that intinerary, though one of my favorites doesn't have exoctic ports.

Coaster, booking while finalizing a charter is a little more involved than how you seem to see it.

Nita

You think NCL would of learned after the Rosie cruises a few years ago where NCL continued to book the general public while the charter group was taking bookings at the same time. The interest NCL makes on deposits must be a factor.

LOL yep all of the 3% per year. Plus they already had to pay the credit card company their upfront cut....

I don't think that the OP is being unreasonable in expecting NCL to notify him (or her) as soon as the charter has been contracted. Over and over again we see people on various CC boards finding out here that their cruise is canceled rather than having been informed directly and promptly by the cruise company.

The OP didn't whine about the fact that the cruise was canceled, just about the lack of notification. From my perspective, cruise lines are quick enough to fill your inbox and mailbox with a plethora of cruise offers, so they certainly know darned well how to contact people, and notice that your inbox and mailbox gets stuffed whether or not you booked through an agency. The reality is that it does not seem to be a priority for cruise lines to share this information promptly with customers, and that is a symptom of some bad customer service standards. (And in how many other cases have you read where someone learns on the boards that their cruise has been canceled, and then calls the cruise line only to be told -- in error -- that the cruise is still on, only to get the correct info days or weeks later.)

The OP has my sympathies. NCL didn't do a good job on this one, and there's no need to cheerlead and pretend they did.

i'm with you nita. had this happened within a month of the sailing date...sure, i'd be upset. but c'mon...we're talking october.

disappointing? yes.

pain-in-the-arse to figure out an alternate plan? yes.

worth sharing a fact of business on CC? yes.

necessary to slam NCL on CC? i think not.

I agree to a point. I would be p***** and the determining factor would be if I could not make another time (if necessary as there are probably other cruises available during the same time) and IF I booked airline tickets - which I'm sure they haven't......

As mentioned probably not a big deal though as it does happen from time to time regardless of line.

I don't think that the OP is being unreasonable in expecting NCL to notify him (or her) as soon as the charter has been contracted. Over and over again we see people on various CC boards finding out here that their cruise is canceled rather than having been informed directly and promptly by the cruise company.

The OP didn't whine about the fact that the cruise was canceled, just about the lack of notification. From my perspective, cruise lines are quick enough to fill your inbox and mailbox with a plethora of cruise offers, so they certainly know darned well how to contact people, and notice that your inbox and mailbox gets stuffed whether or not you booked through an agency. The reality is that it does not seem to be a priority for cruise lines to share this information promptly with customers, and that is a symptom of some bad customer service standards. (And in how many other cases have you read where someone learns on the boards that their cruise has been canceled, and then calls the cruise line only to be told -- in error -- that the cruise is still on, only to get the correct info days or weeks later.)

The OP has my sympathies. NCL didn't do a good job on this one, and there's no need to cheerlead and pretend they did.

I am not a fan of NCL (far from it). But it can take several weeks to get a signed contract between the two parties.

What seems to happen is that a company contacts a cruise line and express an interest in chartering a ship. Cruiseline puts a hold on taking new bookings for the cruise in question, while the contract gets ironed out. When chartering a cruiseship its not as simple as saying I want the ship for a particular week, both parties need to agree with what is included in the charter price and what will be ala carte that will be paid by the guests as they use services.

This could take a few weeks. Once the actual contract is signed, the cruise line notifies already booked guests that they need to make alternative plans.

Just think if the the Cruise line made unilateral cancellations before the contract is signed and an agreeable contract is not acceptable between both parties. The Cruise line would have to remarket the cruise, while people who were unilaterally cancelled would be wondering what just happened.

Maybe they handled it poorly. Maybe not.

I only say this as things might have been in flux at HQ. Maybe the charter group said they were going, but then hesitated. Or the deposit check was delayed leaving NCL in an awkward position.

I used to book hotels for large meetings and the constant shuffle of proposed groups and paid for groups and deposited, but not fully committed groups can drive a manager bonkers!

I would bet NCL could have done better, but also wonder if there were things going on that NCL could not really deal with until they got a good answer and were ready to announce a FINAL situation.

Dr. Bob

It was indeed handled poorly. I think what people are trying to tell you is, despite how terrible it is for things to be handled this way, what you experienced is not just something you get when booking a ship with NCL that winds up being chartered. I've never had this happen to me. I am sure the disappointment is terrible, especially since you chose your cruise for that awesome itinerary, but I have been a memeber here a LONG time and have read about this same thing happen on CCL and RCCL as well. It may happen on Holland and Princess on occasion too, but I don't read those boards so I wouldn't know.

I am very sorry for your disappointment and hope that you find another cruise that will make you just as happy. :)

I would agree that the lack of communication from NCL would be frustrating and they should have been more forthcoming with those already booked. That being said, I have not experienced great customer service on land from any of the mass marketed lines I've been on - and I've been on NCL, Princess, Carnival and Celebrity. I find a huge lack of parity between those who work on land versus those on the ships (though there have been a few incidents reported on CC where there was a lack of communication on board when it comes to unusual circumstances). I think all lines should be very proactive when it comes to communication with their customers. It would go a long way in fostering those relationships.

Be thankful you were cancelled. I went with my family last Christmas on NCL and it was the worst cruise I have ever been on. I have been on over 25 cruises. They nickel and dime you to death- regular dining room food was awful-so you almost felt forced to go to the pay extra places. Free choice dining is a joke- free choice to pay extra for anything decent. Stick to Celebrity, Princess or Holland America.

Be thankful you were cancelled. I went with my family last Christmas on NCL and it was the worst cruise I have ever been on. I have been on over 25 cruises. They nickel and dime you to death- regular dining room food was awful-so you almost felt forced to go to the pay extra places. Free choice dining is a joke- free choice to pay extra for anything decent. Stick to Celebrity, Princess or Holland America.

You come to this board just to tell us how terrible NCL is? Has it occured to you that most of us have sailed NCL (as well as others you mentioned) and are familiar with the product? :rolleyes:

Archived