A pier in Belize?

holdon216

I havent heard if they are building one or not, but I sure hope so. The tender ride from ship into Belize is quite long, ( if my memory serves me correctly about 20 mins or more ). So I sure hope they are building a dock.

It has been in the works for several years to build a 4-ship cruise village. There used to be a website (I cant find it right now) which showed conceptual images of the completed complex. A channel was going to have to be dug with a turning basin for the ships to arrive. In addition, the port village was going to be built off the shore a bit.

Dave

That was an ambitious project! If Belize continues to see the tourists come in droves, they may well have justification to attempt something like that.

In Dubai, they created entire cities out of the water, in the shape of palm trees and earth! Just dredged up some sand and paved it over.

I've been there and it beats the Caribbean a hundred times over. They are kind of particular about alcohol (though foreigners can legaly buy it), and it's a very long flight, but man is it nice! I'd love to see Carnival do Dubai.

But I digress... sorry, did not mean to hijack!

We were in Belize recently and there were 5 ships in port. We got out of town on a public water taxi to a very laid back and bohemian island named Caye Caulker. It was a total madhouse at the port village... we shopped for 10 minutes and took the next tender back.

I can't find the website either anymore.

It was originally supposed to be done January 2010. It's not! Big surprise! :D

Our Carnival docs for our Jan stop in Belize even listed it as a non-tender port. It most certainly was tendered.

We were in Belize recently and there were 5 ships in port. We got out of town on a public water taxi to a very laid back and bohemian island named Caye Caulker. It was a total madhouse at the port village... we shopped for 10 minutes and took the next tender back.

Caye Caulker is a nice place to go to. We have also been to Ambergris Caye which is a bit larger.

Dave

I read that they are building a pier in Belize. Is this true and would it be done by July so that The Dream will not have to tender? Anyone with info would be great. TY

It might be true that something has started, but it's not gonna happen by July...or any time soon.

I had no idea about the ordeal the big ships have to maneuver close enough to even tender. Even so the tender ride is 5-6 miles. The gps video trace (on tv) on our ship (Glory) looked like a snake before we finally dropped anchor.

I have an opinion about why there is no pier there yet, but its too much typing. ;)

I will say that environmental issues (reef, coral, etc) are way down the list.

Salty, Tell me more about Caye Calker. If you would, please :) How far is it by water taxi, how much $$$, what is there to do?

We will be a couple looking to snorkle, swim, rest, drink, shop some. Have never been to any of the Islands on The Dreams itinerary. Belize, Costa Maya, Cozumel and Isla Roatan. Anyones advice that has been there would be great. I am just now getting into the planning stage.

Lori

OH PS i e mailed a note to the link in Belize asking about the pier. I will let you all know if i get a reply. 4th cruise and i am a tender virgin :D

Here the pier dream link....

http://belizecruiseterminal.com/

This website is very out of date. As you can tell if you read the old thread on this topic, the "new pier" is heavily entrapped in local politics and accusations of graft. I wouldn't count on this happening anytime in the next couple years, if ever.

Archived