Caribbean Princess, overcrowded? And deck chair availabilty?

Slimcorn82

I will be going on Caribbean Princess for a 4th of July cruise. I have read a lot of reviews of peopel who went in late July (peak travel time) who said that ship was very overcrowded and deck chairs were impossible to get. Is this true? Has anyone had this same experience with summer cruises?

My other question is what is the deal with the adult sanctuary? Is it worth buying a pass for. My wife and I are in our late 20's and don't want to spend our vacation with splashing kids. Should we pay for adult sanctuary pass or is there something else we can do to avoid the crowds?

Thank you!

You've picked a time to sail that is peak family vacation time so ships do tend to have more passengers with more 3rd and 4th berths filled with children than off peak times of the year. I tend to beleive that the phrase "deck chairs being impossible to get" is an overstatement. They will likely be difficult to get in what some consider the prime spots near the pools which can be agrevating if that is where you wish to be but lounge chairs can usually be found by looking in other less popular areas of the ship which if you are looking for a quieter more relaxed experience may be a better location for you anyways;)

Every sailing is different so it is impossible to know exactly what you will find on your sailing. Certainly more children on your cruise than I will find on mine coming up in a few weeks but that in itself doesn't mean those sailing with you won't be polite with no problem being around either.

Booking the sanctuary will certainly assure you of a quieter more peaceful time while enjoying your lounge chairs. It's a matter of if the dollars involved are worth it to you or not.

It may be imposible to always avoid the feeling of crowds while on a cruiseship as after all, there are a lot of people occupying a limited amount of space BUT if you attempt to avoid having to do things at peak times it can go a long ways to limit that crowded feeling. Things like not feeling that you have to rush off the ship as soon as its docked in port, or choosing to go to the dining room for breakfast instead of going to the Horizon court especially on port days when it feels as if everyone is trying to eat breakfast at the same time. Fewer people attempt to attend the shows in the theater the second night of a show vs the first night. Don't do lunch in the Horizon Court between 12:30 and 1:00 but go a bit later. I may have seen some pretty long lines at the pursers desk in the morning or afternoon but never have a wait when I go late at night. We've never found a ship yet that doesn't have plenty of quieter places to relax away from the crowds if we just spend a bit of time looking for them. And most important, remember to pack your patience and sense of humor;) You're on island time, there should be no sense of rush and hurry and there is no doubt that other passengers always find ways to make us laugh, even if they're not intending to do so!:eek::D

Don't think I will be as diplomatic.

The Caribbean Princess along with it's twins on the 4th of July will more than likely be very crowded. With space rations of 37 on double occupancy then add about 500 more in 2nd and 3rd and guess what?

If the Island is doing r/t Panama at that time you might look at it with a space ratio 45 even full it won't be crowded. Not MO a mathematical fact.

We found the ship to be very crowded - its public space ratio is not large enough for the number of passengers it carries. For example, the theatre only holds 800 people (approx) so you need to get there 20-30 minutes before the main show in order to get a seat. Public restrooms only have 2 or 3 stalls, resultining in long lines. The buffet is very crowded. Etc. However, this didn't put a damper on our enjoyment of the cruise, and in fact, we've booked a second cruise on this ship. We just accepted the situation for what it is and planned accordingly.

Yes the ship is crowded, but I never feel like it's overcrowded. We go every July. It will be full. We do have to search around for a good deck chair occasionally, but we don't like to sit right at the pool and we don't like to be in the middle of people. We like to sit just the 2 of us and perhaps in a more shady spot. If those things don't matter to you, it's not as hard. Unless you are out real early, a chair right at the pool is hard to come by.

We did not find the CB crowded,, there are alot of places to find quiet areas. The main center pools can be crowded,, but the Aft pool is alot quieter and adult only,, no need to pay for Santuary.

There are always free deck chairs away from pool, on upper decks ,, if you are not needing to be right by pool you should be fine. I tend to leave the seats around the pool for adults with children,,so they can supervise them in the pool. I kind of think its funny that some people complain the kids are not supervised in the pools, yet they are putting stuff out on chairs and saving the ones all around the pool, by 8 am, and they don't even have kids!

I have only taken my kids on one Princess cruise,, but we have been on them 3 times without kids, and we have never noticed the kids being that rowdy at all, even at spring break.I personally think some people are very intolerant of kids and expect them to be "seen and not heard" all the time. Really,, mean people.

The issue is passenger space ratio, do the math if someone posts there is not a problem with crowding.

We are big Princess fans but there is a space ratio problem on the Caribbean Princess and her sister ships. They added an extra 500 passengers, an extra deck of cabins but the remainder of the ship size is the same as the Grand Class size, 3100 people instead of 2600,.. We felt the extra 500 passengers, it was crowded especially at the pools and in the evning. We have avoided this class ever since our one sailing on the Caribbean. The ship itself was lovely, the food was good, the activities entertainment fine.

We were on the Christmas sailing and we kept saying, "Where is everybody?!" the whole week. Seriously, we only saw it really crowded once and that was in the HC. We waited a half hour to eat and it was cleared out by then.

It depends about deck chair crowding. If you are the type that shows up to lay out at 11:30am on a sea day and expects to find a chair next to the pool, you will be out of luck.

We laid out every day by the aft pool - two decks above it -and NEVER saw it crowded the entire week - even on the sea day. It was convenient to the aft pool and the bar too. We've bought The Sanctuary for the whole week in the past, but for this cruise, it really wasn't necessary since it is so port-intensive. I suppose if we had tried to get chaises right next to the main pool, we would've had trouble finding them. Frankly, it's too noisy there for us, so we always head aft.

BTW - it will be extremely humid and hot in July, so even those that do lay out won't be out there for long.

We only cruise in the summer and, yes, the ship will be packed and there will be a ton of kids. However, a few tips: Get up early! While everyone is still sleeping, you can beat the rush at the morning buffet, and then still find a good spot by the pool. You can still keep your chair most of the day, or as long as you want, and grab lunch or a snack, bring it back to your chair, without being labeled a chair hog. You'll beat the lunch crowd by visiting the buffet or restaurants early or later. In the heat of the day, go inside where it's cooler, rest, grab a drink in the lounge, etc. Dinner and shows at night will be crowded. Be patient, relax and try to take it all in stride. If you want a seat at the show, grab a drink, a seat, and sit and relax at least 30 mins. before. Have fun and enjoy!:)

Thank you for the responses everyone. Really helpful. I am glad to hear that the Aft pool is adults only, I think that's where we will be spending most of our time!

It is one of our favorite spots on the ship. This is where we are sometimes able to find two chairs together under the Skywalkers overhang. Very nice and relaxing back there staring out into the wake!

Enjoy!

We were on this past 4th of July sailing on the Caribbean Princess. Yes, the mathematics of the passenger space ratio do make the younger Grand-class vessels more crowded than the earlier ones, but we never found the CB to be extra crowded if you know what areas to avoid and when (as someone mentioned earlier).

Were there a lot of kids? Yes, there were a lot, but most seemed well-behaved. We also liked hanging out at the aft decks (we're definitely wake-watchers), but the Lotus Spa pool is also usually quiet.

The itinerary is a great one (hopefully you'll get to Bermuda, we didn't...sigh) and I'm sure you'll have a good time.

Since the ship tends to be full every time it sails July should be no different from any other time. There will however be many more kids. That can be a blessing or a curse. A blessing if they are all in the kid's club a curse if they are running all over the ship.

As to getting a chair that depends on how many hogs there are and that does not depend on the month. The only way to get rid of the chair hogs is fro everyone and I do mean everyone to keep turning them in.

So I am reading this post and trying to figure something out. We have been on the Crown and just booked a trip this summer on The Caribbean. Are you saying that they somehow added 500 rooms to the same ship style as the Crown? Wow, that could be scary. We have been on the Grand, Saphirre as well and had never felt like it was really crowded except for the pool spots you try to get near the pool. Those dreaded chair hogs. Never had a problem getting a seat in the show. Would usually show up 15 minutes before it would start. Maybe the Caribbean will be different

Ok, I give?

Sorry, i don't understand what you're saying...

Lew

Do a Google for the definition.

The lounges are all crowded, so is the HO, bars, they even do Captain Circle party in shifts.

I do not necessarily want to get up early or late, I do not want to avoid this place or that place.

I am on vacation I want to enjoy myself, I paid for it.:eek:

Our cruise on Caribbean Princess was the most intensely crowded vacation of my entire life.

It felt as though there were about 1000 too many people onboard.

The packed feeling around the pools & the buffet was really bad, and finding a seat for a show was just ridiculous.

If you hope to relax in the sun, the Sanctuary might just be a good investment.

Wow, Usha you took your trip in May and it was stilll that crowded? I was thinking that the Caribbean Princess was like the Crown. Need to do my research. All of the ships seem to be blending together. Doing Traditional Dining so won't have to deal with AD crowds. Pool always seems to be a problem. Those dreaded chair hogs. Maybe we'll see the shows at the later time slots. Did you like anything about the trip?

I will be going on Caribbean Princess for a 4th of July cruise. I have read a lot of reviews of peopel who went in late July (peak travel time) who said that ship was very overcrowded and deck chairs were impossible to get. Is this true? Has anyone had this same experience with summer cruises?

I have been on the Caribbean Princess in July twice.....plenty of chairs available, although not two feet away from the pool as I don't get there till about 10:30 on sea days.

As for the ship being overcrowded, each time I found the usually areas being crowded.........the atriums on formal night, photo gallery, and the buffet on sea days at prime time. Really no different than other mass market lines.

Ok, I give?

Sorry, i don't understand what you're saying...

Lew

I believe that was a typing error and what the poster wanted to say was space ratios.

It depends about deck chair crowding. If you are the type that shows up to lay out at 11:30am on a sea day and expects to find a chair next to the pool, you will be out of luck.

Perhaps these are the type of people who write reviews (that the OP is referring to) that deck chairs are impossible to find ANYWHERE.:rolleyes:

So I am reading this post and trying to figure something out. We have been on the Crown and just booked a trip this summer on The Caribbean. Are you saying that they somehow added 500 rooms to the same ship style as the Crown? Wow, that could be scary. We have been on the Grand, Saphirre as well and had never felt like it was really crowded except for the pool spots you try to get near the pool. Those dreaded chair hogs. Never had a problem getting a seat in the show. Would usually show up 15 minutes before it would start. Maybe the Caribbean will be different
The Crown also has the extra 500 passengers than the Grand and the Sapphire, did you notice that difference??

Thanks for the clarification Roe2. No, I did not notice any big difference in crowds when I was on The Crown vs. Sapphire. You are right. This is a big mass market ship with a lot of people. Is the Caribbean Princess the same size as the Crown? I had thought that the Crown was a newer ship with more space. It is so funny to me. I have been on the Grand, Sapphire and the Crown. The lay out on all of them seemed the same to me. The amount of people seemed the same to me as well. Why is it that I always spell Sapphire wrong? Ha Ha!

Thanks for the clarification Roe2. No, I did not notice any big difference in crowds when I was on The Crown vs. Sapphire. You are right. This is a big mass market ship with a lot of people. Is the Caribbean Princess the same size as the Crown? I had thought that the Crown was a newer ship with more space. It is so funny to me. I have been on the Grand, Sapphire and the Crown. The lay out on all of them seemed the same to me. The amount of people seemed the same to me as well. Why is it that I always spell Sapphire wrong? Ha Ha!
Yes the Caribbean Princess is the same size and same amount of passengers as the Crown. The Crown is newest of the three mentioned. The Caribbean Princess was the first ship to have the extra deck of 500 pax than the original grand class ships and also still has the Skywalkers (handle) like the grand class ships. When Crown was built, and the two ships (Emerald and Ruby) after that, the extra deck of pax was also added but the Skywalkers (handle) was moved back.....just like it is on the Sapphire.

Ok, that is the only difference. I love these ships. I think they are beautiful ships, easy to get around in, love the cabins ie minisuites. I was lost when I was on the RC Grandeur ship two summers ago. I guess I am used to the Princess layout.

Wow, Usha you took your trip in May and it was stilll that crowded?Honestly, the crowded feel was intense.

I was thinking that the Caribbean Princess was like the Crown. Need to do my research. All of the ships seem to be blending together.

I haven't been on Crown Princess, so can't compare the two.

Doing Traditional Dining so won't have to deal with AD crowds.

We had anytime dining, which really worked out quite well for us. We didn't have reservations, and yet were able to be seated almost immediately at tables for 2 each night at about 7:00. When we were leaving dinner, we noticed a LOT:eek: of people waiting in the hall & on the stairway with those light-up thingys. I think we got to dinner just before the throngs.

Pool always seems to be a problem. Those dreaded chair hogs.

The pool areas were oh, so crowded. We just chucked the idea of sitting in chairs, and sat in the shallow overflow around the MUTS pool. Stayed cool, got lots of sun, and enjoyed the movies.:)

Maybe we'll see the shows at the later time slots.

We never did get to see a show. We got there about 10 mins before showtimes, & theater was already packed to the gills. I'd be willing to wait longer to see Clapton or the Pretenders, but not a cruise ship show.:o

Did you like anything about the trip?

We had a very nice cruise. The reggae band was really good; we had seen some of the members play in bands on prior Celebrity cruises. We also really got a kick out the MUTS, which I hadn't expected I would like. The ship itself was really pretty, and the weather was HOT & sunny (perfect). I also liked the mid-afternoon cookies & milk; that was a nice homey touch.:) I enjoyed most of the food, although my husband wasn't too thrilled with it (usually, I'm the picky one, go figure:confused:).

Really, the only bad thing about that cruise was the crowding issue, IMO.

Archived