upgrade from an AA Mini-Suite question

pgmrdev

Booked in a AA Mini-Suite on the Caribbean Princess. Princess did make a potential upgrade available if I was interested based on availability. Don't want to wind up in one of those new WS Window Suites. Really need the balcony. Anyone know if standard is if you have a balcony type cabin you are upgraded to a balcony type? Would seem logical. Thanks for the help.

Keep in mind that most passengers keep themselves open for upgrades, so the chance is slim you will receive one. I have actually read more of those booked in AB and AC mini suites upgraded to full suites much more often than AA's. Since AA's are usually the highest priced mini suites, they don't seem to sell as well as the lower category minis so rarely oversell (which is one of the reasons upgrades occur).

BUT, I have not heard of anyone booked in a mini suite with a balcony upgraded to the WS suites without a balcony yet. Good Luck though!

I suppose it could still happen that someone in a minisuite would be upgraded to a WS, but so far here on CC anyone who has reported being upgraded to the WS had originally booked an oceanview (non balcony) cabin.

Actually, we've been upgraded on every Princess cruise we've been on. It hasn't mattered whether we were in an AC, AA, BA or BD. The only cruise we weren't upgraded on was the filler cruise when Princess was trying to fill cabins on an unplanned cruise out of NYC for 4 nights to Canada. But we paid $168 for an Oceanview. The ship was suppose to get some maintenance, but Princess decided it was unnecessary so they planned a filler cruise and it was all "run of the house".

Shhhhhhhhhhh, don't say that out loud. Had a friend once that used to say the same thing, to the point they actually counted on those upgrades. Then all of a sudden, the upgrades stopped and never started again. So, never think an upgrade will always come. That is unless you count any higher category stateroom (even within the same type of stateroom) would be considered an upgrade.

I consider an upgrade from a category to a higher category and not within a category. For example BA to AC or AB to WS. Not AC to AB or BC to BA. Those everyone seems to get. I think being Platinum has also helped. The jumps seem greater since we became Platinum. I do miss the butler service that was once part of mini-suite and higher ........

I consider an upgrade from a category to a higher category and not within a category. For example BA to AC or AB to WS. Not AC to AB or BC to BA. Those everyone seems to get. I think being Platinum has also helped. The jumps seem greater since we became Platinum. I do miss the butler service that was once part of mini-suite and higher ........

I think you are the first one I have seen that feels that platinum status has assisted with upgrades. Honestly, we received a true upgrade on our 1st princess cruise (24 Princess cruises ago), and nothing since. Us and many (if not most) of those with Platinum and Elite status that post here. It seems that from talking with others, and also those that belong to Cruise Critic, the higher you go on the Captain's Circle, the fewer those upgrades appear, especially in the mini suite and suite level.

Glad to hear they appreciate your cruising status. We finally gave up hoping that someday we would be upgraded again, and now we book only what we really want, and it sure has cost us over the years, ouch.

Butlers in a Princess mini-suite? What year are we talking about? Anyone else with butlers in Princess mini-suite?

Oh Yea, there used to be butlers with mini suites on the Grand Princess. Of course this is way back when it first debuted. I don't think it lasted more than a year before they stopped having butlers altogether. But our first mini suite on the Grand, we did have a butler.

Butlers in a Princess mini-suite? What year are we talking about? Anyone else with butlers in Princess mini-suite?

it sadly ended in 2002. Attributed to cost cutting ......

Back to upgrades, it is important to book what you are happy with to begin with and there are no guarantees anyway, but there are tricks to the trade .....

I'm just happy to get the free (Platinum) internet service and the speedy check-in (in Red Hook anyway)!

I didn't realize the butlers lasted that long, but you are probably correct. I remember when the Grand debuted, it was a big selling point for them with all the mini suites. They used a phrase to describe the service in mini suites, but I can't remember it right now. Enjoy the suite life? Something like that. Do you remember what phrase they used?

Do you remember what phrase they used?
make that gone, but not forgotten

Sorry, no, but our first two cruises it was wonderful. On the second cruise, my SO was not feeling well the first few days and the butler wait on her constantly, bringing her tea and whatever she needed as he knew she wasn't feeling well. Losing the canapes everyday was no big deal but the butler service was a nice touch. Even dinner portions have gotten smaller due to cost cutting ......

And don't forget, the mini suites also came with a mini bar set up, and it was REFILLED as you used it. :eek: Those mini suites really came with it all back then didn't they?

I had said to DH at the time, this won't last long..............it's too perfect! lol

Butler service in mini-suites and suites ended the week before May 5, 2001, not in 2002. I know because we were on that cruise and were really disappointed that the butler service had just ended.

In 2000, we had butler service in a mini. By the same week in 2001 in a Vista Suite, it was gone. It really didn't make that much of a difference in the long run though.

We've never been upgraded with Princess, ever. So, I would say that your CC status has absolutely nothing to do with being upgraded. I know more first-timers that have been upgraded than loyal past passengers.

Also, there is a very high likelihood that you will be upgraded into one of the poorly-selling Cat. WSs. If you do get upgraded to one, have your TA call Princess and tell them you don't want it. Hopefully, there will still be a cabin left in your original category that you can be put back into.

And don't forget, the mini suites also came with a mini bar set up, and it was REFILLED as you used it. :eek: Those mini suites really came with it all back then didn't they?

I had said to DH at the time, this won't last long..............it's too perfect! lol

You are correct. One free setup may now be the case now.

But only if you are Elite in the Captain's circle. No more mini bars in mini suites and there haven't been since the butlers were taken away.

We had a free setup since the butler service was taken away? But regardless, whatever is or was, it is much better than sitting in a hot tub with eight 10-14 year olds on Carnival!!

Yeah, I'm part of a DINK!!

I agree on the upgrades ... we got one on our honeymoon ... from an OV to a BA. Ever since ... nada. We're both Elite now, so I'm guessing our odds are just not that great.

We book what we like, i.e. a minimum of a balcony, mini on longer trips. But the perks are the same regardless of your location on the ship, and to me that's worth staying loyal to Princess.

I book what I like, and it's a good thing, because I've never cruised with any line but Princess, and have never been upgraded.

Every time we book a cruise, we hope maybe it will finally happen to us, but NADA!

Archived