Best strategy for upgrading

CaliJohn

If you decide to go ahead and and book a balcony cabin, keep a close eye on the Princess website for fare reductions prior to final payment. If you find one for your category, a quick phone call to your TA, or Princess if you booked directly with them, should get you the reduction.

We book with Princess, and for some cruises I have found and been able to get fare reductions as much as twice for the same cruise. And have saved as much as $400 per person over the original fare.

I have a question if you have already made final payment will the still give you a up grade?

Final payment has nothing really to do with upgrades. Many have found when they checked in at the pier that they are in a better category stateroom then they were a couple of weeks before. So, no, final payment made has nothing to do with upgrades. ;)

When I upgraded for my upcoming cruise (after final payment date), I paid the equivalent of what I would have paid had I booked that specific category in the first place - even though the current price was significantly higher. If the current price had been lower, I'm not sure what price I would have paid since I upgraded after final payment date. So cancelling and re-booking (at a lower price) would not have been an option.

Since you are not past final payment date, ask your TA for the upgrade price - which should be either lower or at least equal to the current pricing. Then you can still benefit from future price decreases, if any, before final payment date.

Archived