Need Advice - Rome Sightseeing

kate99

It is amazing to me that in this day and age, where information is at our fingertips there are still TAs out there drumming business this way.

Kate, is there any way you can get out of this extension and do your own hotel arrangements? Believe me, it is not brain surgery.

I've posted several times on our roll call board to find someone from the group who is extending the tour. So far I've found lots of people on the roll call and even two in the group I'm with, but no one who is on the tour extension. The TA told me there are 34 people, but apparently none of those 34 use cruise critic. I can't get any names from the TA (privacy, you know), which is why I tried these boards. I actually did find someone who wanted to share a tour and would be in Rome on the same day will be, but before I could email back, everything disappeared. Unknowingly OI had violated a rule here which does not allow you to post for tour shares. I hope this posting doesn't disappear! I'm trying to explain without violating the rules!

Can't you give permission to the TA to release your email to the others and have them contact you if they are interested in tour share. You might even introduce them to cruise critic so they can see the benefits sharing ideas and tours. This way the TA wouldn't be violating their privacy.

Come to think of it, why is the TA not willing to organize the private tours for those interested?

Kate, I agree with the others, your best bet would be to stay in Rome, if you can't however, keep in mind that Italy has fantastic public transport. From the airport there is a train that goes to central Rome, from there you can take the metro or bus to all of the sites you probably would like to see. Rome is very walkable if you're in good shape ( we walked pretty much everywhere) I suggest you 'divide & conquer' Do ancient Rome (Colosseum, Forum, Palentine Hill as early in the a.m. as you can, spend the afternoon seeing the Pantheon, & the nearby piazzas, hit up the trevi fountain in the early evening, & then head toward the Spanish steps, there are plenty of outdoor cafes to grab a bite to eat in & take in the atmasphere. On day 2 , I'd do the Vatican the first half of the day(be in line 2 hours before it opens) & the surrounding area the other half. Hit up your local bookstore, there are quite a few guidebooks that will give detailed instructions for Rome in 2 days. Good Luck & enjoy!

The extension really just gives us hotel accomodations and transportation to the places we will be staying, several nights in Montecattini, Sorento, and Rome. I think now that we are getting details, we would probably have elected to do this on our own, but the cost is non-refundable, so we'll have to live with it this time.

Cruise Kitty's suggestions sound the most doable. I've already gotten the books and some maps and have been reading like mad. It sounds as though if I can get to the Terminii Station in Rome I can get the HoHo buses. Does the train from the airport go to that station? Some of what I've read suggests that I don't want to be at the Terminii Station after dark, so I guess that means we have to be on the way back to our hotel by that time.

If you check out your hotel's website:

http://www.dominahotels.com/eng/roma_hotel_domina_capannelle/

and tripadvisor you will find that the hotel is near Ciampino Airport (the local airport) not the major airport (Leonard da Vinci Fiumicino) most of the posters are referring to.

I think you will find that this hotel is much closer to the city than you think. The reviews on TripAdvisor discuss the quick accessibility to "historical Rome" and the helpfulness of the concierges at the hotel.

Here is a description of transportation services from the hotel:

Fast connections are also availbale with Ciampino Airport,subway station and with Rome City Center thanks to the bus shuttle. For details and complete schedules of the departures please click here.

Fast connections are now available to Fiumicino Airport too from Euro 15, contact directly the hotel.

Apparently it runs a shuttle into Rome City Center. I think you will find that this hotel suits your needs more than you think--certainly much better than a hotel located near Fiumicino.

The Leonardo Express goes from the airport to Termini train station. I believe the train leave every 30 minutes and is about 12 Euros. The Termini train station at night is not the problem but the people hanging around outside. Nothing violant but potential pick pockets. At night, I would take a taxi back to Termini to catch the train back to the airport. Check online to find the train schedule and hours.

If your hotel is Hotel Domina, be sure to note what PatriciaF says: it is not near FCO but Rome's other airport, so you won't be able to make use of the Leonardo Express.

Hopefully the hotel's shuttle will work out for you.

P.S. Termini is not the most picturesque part of Rome, but it's not desperate. As Hank says, the biggest danger is pickpockets.

I was finally able to speak with another agent at the same agency who told me that whatever hotel the hotel at which we find ourselves (Domina or similar) it is closer to the city and not as far as the airport, which makes me think PatriciaF is correct. I did not realize that there were two airports. I really would like to get tickets in advance and you have all been so helpful, but I think I'm just going to try to be patient until they tell me exactly which hotel and then hope I can still get tickets for the day we will be there.

Archived