Carnival Valor Review - 10/1/10

Geek Squard

Our itinerary

I have/am putting together a review of our fantastic vacation on the Valor. The net net is that we had the BEST time ever. There are a few observations in here which I don’t want to be perceived as negative, nothing stopped us from having a great time!

Our cruise was scheduled to set sail from Miami on Sunday January 10. Residing in Michigan and seasoned travelers my DW and I didn’t want to leave anything to chance:

Thursday Jan 7 – Head to Detroit airport, overnight at the Marriott Fairfield in by the airport

Friday Jan 8 – Afternoon flight to Miami

Saturday Jan 9 – My birthday!!

Sunday Jan 10 – Set sail

Monday Jan 11 – Day at sea

Tuesday Jan 12 – Grand Cayman; Waverunners to Sand Bar

Wednesday Jan 13 – Isla Roatan; Seaplane Adventure to deserted island

Thursday Jan 14 – Belize; Cave Tubing with Major Tom

Friday Jan 15 – Cozumel; Extreme Xrail to Jade Caverns

Saturday Jan 16 – Day at sea

Sunday Jan 17 – Home L

Thursday

We begin our journey in driving snow around 2:00pm on Thursday leaving Smalltown, MI for the 2 hour drive to Detroit. Despite the conditions, the journey is fairly pain free although ultimate concentration was required on I94. It took us about 45 minutes longer than usual to get to DTW which wasn’t too bad given the conditions.

I have Platinum with Marriott and a bunch of Marriott points that I spend wisely on leisure trips and the Fairfield was cheap on points and although no bar/restaurant in the hotel it is right next door to the Crown Plaza and on the other side a Sports Bars. The hotel is in great condition, very clean and 2 miles from the airport. Perfect location! The Sports bar (Merriman St Grill) gets our vote and we head for dinner and our first vacation drinks. Good times!

100_2875.jpg

First vacation drinks – there will be lots more!!

100_2879.jpg

The Fairfield Inn

100_2880.jpg

More Marriott

100_2881.jpg

More Marriott

Friday

After a great nights rest we pack up all excited and head to the airport. With snowy and cold conditions we need no incentive to get to Florida. The forecast in Miami is good for Friday but on Saturday they are predicting record lows!! L However, nothing will dampen our spirits.

100_2889.jpg

Snow, snow everywhere – take me to the tropics!

100_2890.jpg

Flight was good, and we get in on time. Collect our bags and jump in a cab to the Courtyard Marriott in Southbeach. It’s a pleasant 65 degrees on Friday night and walking the streets in January wearing short sleeves is fantastic. Our trip was a belated honeymoon and we have dinner reservations at Emeril Lagasses restaurant.

100_2895.jpg

The food in Emerils was, for the most part, excellent. I made a note on our reservation that it was our honeymoon and we were greeted with a complimentary dish from the chef and champagne. Good stuff. The meal as I said, for the most part was great. The disappointment was that DW’s chicken entrée was undercooked. I mean, come on! A restaurant of this type and the chickens not cooked? It was soon remedied and the food was delicious. The chef apparently thought we were graduating (I take that as a compliment) hence the spelling on the desert!

100_2901.jpg

Congradulations?? Either way, great gesture!!

Saturday

We get coffee from Jerry’s Deli and are saving ourselves for an Irish breakfast in Waxy O’Connors. It is cold and wet and wet and cold! We find a store to fill our rum runners and buy some soda. And then it’s off to Waxy’s – for the day. Well, it’s my birthday after all!! It was too cold to do any sightseeing especially as we left our coats in the car in Detroit (after much whooping and hollering about how we wouldn’t need them for a week)

100_2903.jpg

Palm trees and rain? Not the combination I was hoping for!!

The Irish breakfast was worth the wait and was demolished in about 3 minutes flat. Supper from Five Guys Burgers topped off a great birthday.

100_2904.jpg

Before

100_2905.jpg

After (I don’t like tomatoes – way too healthy)

A note about the Courtyard Marriott in South Beach. The hotel is very clean and reasonably modern; seems as though it has undergone a recent facelift. There is a roof top pool which I think would be great in the summer. In terms of eating there – not good. I had some Marriott cash to use up which is the only reason that we ate breakfast there on Sunday. A very poor buffet amd at $11.95pp a complete rip off. My choice would be to take a walk around, there are plenty of places to go eat within walking distance.

Sunday

We get a cab to the Port of Miami and (nervously) leave our bags at the side of the road. We got to the port about 11:15am and there is a line out the door to get through security into the Carnival waiting area.

100_2909.jpg

First glimpse of our vacation vehicle

I thought that this was run very poorly as only 3 of the 4 scanners were in use and the line that we were was also being fed by the VIP line who naturally got preference, and another line so getting through was a little tiresome. After about 30 minutes we got through and headed upstairs. I wasn’t aware that you were supposed to collect a zone number at the top of the stairs and we headed straight to get checked in. I asked one of the people working on the floor where to get one and she was good enough to get one for us; this was kind of her. I thought that the embarkation process worked efficiently by zone number but it took us until about 2:15 to get onboard. The ship was late back into port that morning as there was congestion so I’m going to put the experience down to that. We’re eager to get on and start having fun!!

100_2911.jpg

Excuse me Sir, do you have contraband in your case?

100_2913.jpg

First impression of the Valor – wonderful. I thought that the way that the mirrored pillars when you looked at them reflected back the American flag was great. I thought the décor was good, I know some have said it was a bit gaudy but to us the most important thing was that it was in great shape and looked bright and cheerful.

100_2925-1.jpg

100_2926-1.jpg

Once on, we check out our stateroom and are delighted! It’s clean, roomy and we’ve got a nice big window. Maybe we're easily pleased! We are on deck 2 forward.

100_2923-1.jpg

100_2924-1.jpg

That done, we’re off to the Lido deck for some lunch and a cheeky cocktail. First meal was at the grill, a delicious burger with all the trimmings washed down with the drink of the day.

100_2930.jpg

The dreaded muster drill came and went. We were tempted to hide in our room but felt like schoolkids bunking off so we went up there. It was fairly pain free and didn’t last too long. Our bags were delivered to our room about 6:30 with everything intact – including our secret beverage supply. We took 2 cases of pop on too, put them in a duffel bag and checked them too so we didn’t have to carry them around the ship.

Back to the Lido deck to set sail and off we went!

100_2938.jpg

Can't remember what the guy said when he took our picture but it was funny!

100_2942.jpg

Fore

100_2945-1.jpg

Aft - see how I've got the cruise lingo down!?

We had late dinner seating in the MDR so we spent the time getting acquainted with the layout of the ship and unpacking our bags. We were assigned table 539 in Washington Upper and the table was just the two of us. We were happy to get this although sharing a table would not have been a problem either although I think if sharing I would have preferred an 8 rather than a 4. All in all we’re liking things thus far!

Next up (if you're still with me), first day at sea and Grand Cayman.

Day at Sea

On Monday we’re still feeling the chill that we felt as left Miami so we take the opportunity to explore the ship. There is an orientation meeting in the Theater which we’re all encouraged to attend. We went along; our main reason was to get information about Tenders. All of our excursions are non-Carnival so we’re keen to get info about this. We got we needed and left as it was, understandably with a captive audience, a selling mechanism. No big problem, they’re running a business after all!

We load up our Carnival cups with our own drink of the day – Fruit Punch (Crystal Light) and Banana Liquor – and head to the deck to read our books and chill.

100_2952.jpg

The bar is open! Banana Liquor, Vanilla Vodka, Raspberry Vodka, Crystal Light packets and water bottle

100_2951.jpg

The mandatory picture of a towel animal

100_2953.jpg

100_2955.jpg

My beautiful wife

100_2956.jpg

Cuba - which for the Americans amongst us is as close as you might get. As a Brit, I have been and can tell you it is a beautiful island.

100_2961.jpg

True love - my wife, soccer (real football) and beer - in that order!

We arrive in Grand Cayman bright and early on Tuesday morning.

100_2976.jpg

100_2982.jpg

Representing 2 great nations! My DW is American and I'm English

100_2985.jpg

Our excursion is a Waverunner trip to the Sand Bar to mingle with the Stingrays. We were very excited, got to our meeting point only to find out that due to the wind the Sand Bar was closed. We are disappointed but hey-ho, what can you do? I should add that Island Marketing had no issue refunding our deposit. It just took a quick email when we got home.

100_2977.jpg

The Legend was 'in town' too

100_2978.jpg

100_2984.jpg

The driver kindly takes us to 7 mile back and we’re there for 8:45 which was too early to drink – even for me! Although the bar was closed so that played a factor too. We walk down the beach for about 30 mins. The sand is deep and it’s a great workout as my calf’s tell me for the next 2 days.

100_2991.jpg

The pictures do not do the beach justice. It was beautiful!

We found a great place for some breakfast and head back to where we got dropped off. It is not 10:30 and the place is PACKED! The sunbeds are for hire and laid out inches from the next one. We hang out at the bar and I take a few dips in the water after sampling some local brew. On reflection, we should have wandered further down the beach, laid our towels out and enjoyed a little more tranquility than was offered here. However, we were caught off guard by the cancellation of our trip and weren’t very well prepared.

P1120005.jpg

After the beach we do the typical tourist thing and head to Margaritaville where it is going off!!

100_3011.jpg

100_3019.jpg

100_3013.jpg

100_3012.jpg

We enjoyed our cocktails and head back to the ship. A good day despite the disappointment of the excursion cancellation.

100_3028.jpg

100_3029.jpg

100_3033.jpg

As a cruise noob, the size of the ship was overwhelming! I was fascinated. What a feat of engineering!!

100_3039.jpg

Flying to the Cayman Islands - quaint approach!

100_3040.jpg

If you're not on, you're not coming on; the ships a-sailing! I have to admit that when we heard the call for two passengers DW and I did go out on deck to heckle them as they frantically tendered towards us. We were expecting a drunken bunch and we disappointed! BTW, if it was you we heckled - sorry!! :o

Isla Roatan

This is the day we’ve been looking forward to the most. Our excursion is a Seaplane tour above Roatan, we then land at a deserted island (and it IS deserted, just me, DW and the pilot), spend an hour or so chilling, snorkeling before continuing the tour along the other side of the island. It was simply amazing!!

100_3064.jpg

At the 'airport'

100_3066.jpg

We're excited but mildly annoyed that there will be no in-flight drinks and that the meal has been canceled!

100_3068.jpg

Err, who's driving this bad boy and where's my cup holder?

100_3072.jpg

The views were spectacular!

100_3082.jpg

100_3087.jpg

The pilot was very informative and gave us a running narrative as we flew along the coastline.

After about 25 -30 mins in the air we go to our island

100_3107a.jpg

'Our' island - no chair hogging here!

100_3112-1.jpg

Do you have any quarters for the meter?

P1130046.jpg

P1130047.jpg

As I said, we booked this through Island Marketing. After the deposit, the balance is due to the tour operator and the transportation cost is extra and paid directly to the driver. Our driver took us in her own car which was in great condition and very clean. She gave us an insight into her life and the island and was a really nice lady. She was there to drive us back to Mahogany Bay as we landed. Everything ran very smoothly.

We do a spot of shopping in Mahogany Bay and, as we are starving, get back on board and go eat. Mahogany Bay looks great, it just wasn't our thing. There's an artificial feel to the whole thing and I'd rather get out amongst 'em and see some of the island.

100_3138.jpg

What a great start - can't wait for more. We're on the Valor May 30 and love reading the reviews!!!

Thanks for a great review and pictures!
Yay! Great start - loving all the pictures!
OK, I'm hooked, going on the Valor in April....of course I'm ready.
Enjoying your review, and looking forward to the rest. Great photos, thanks for sharing. I enjoyed my cruise on the Valor in 2007 very much.:)
Nice review so far and I love your pictures!
great review, we were on that ship last year. looking forward to the rest.
Thanks everyone. I'll get onto the rest soonest! :)

Enjoying your review and pictures. It seems like you have a great attitude, so I don't doubt you had a wonderful experience.

Thanks. We are fairly relaxed and while it's great for everything to go according to plan sometimes you have to accept hiccups and make the best of it!

Belize

Our excursion in Belize was cave tubing (with Major Tom). The tendering process was a little chaotic. We were told to go to the Eagle Lounge to get a Tender ticket and that all must be present. So we go down there but didn’t realize that once you’re there you are effectively in line to get the next available tender out. Even though our excursion was non-Carnival, we got out on one of the first sets of tenders. After waiting in the Lounge we made our way down to deck 0. There was already a huge line and the stairwells and walkways soon filled up (we could only get as far as deck 1) and it was very claustrophobic and got warm real quick. We waited here for about 20 minutes; the experience wasn’t that pleasant and I would have thought there are safety issues with the amount of people huddled in the walkways.

Once on the tender we made our way to the dock. There was a guy with a Major Tom sign waiting for everyone, we checked in and talked to the Major himself. We got onto our bus and headed to the caves. The tour guides were very helpful, knowledgeable and amusing. They helped create a very lighthearted atmosphere throughout the journey.

We were told that our possessions would be safe on the bus so we left our cash, S&S cards, drivers licenses in our beach bag on the bus. When we got back to the bus the couple in front of us found that their cash, S&S cards and driving licenses had been stolen. I’m not entirely sure but I heard that they left them in view on top of their stuff which may not have been the wisest move as an opportunist could have struck. The Police were involved (or the local authorities at the tour stop) and Major Tom was really, really sorry and apologetic to them. He assured them that he would reimburse the cash taken. He was genuinely concerned and I thought he handled it very well. It’s not a reputation that one would want. That was the downside of the trip and I felt bad for the couple involved. I certainly didn’t think him or his team bore any responsibility and the way he took ownership underlined the fact that I would book a future excursion with him.

The cave tubing itself was a great experience. After a leisurely walk through the jungle of around 30 minutes we were in the water. The walk was broken up by our guides giving us great information about the surroundings, natural remedies, animals, etc. It was very interesting.

P1140018.jpg

Holy Cave Tubing Robin - we're in the Bat Cave (OK, weak pun, sorry!)

We noticed that most of the other tours sprinted past us to get in the water so if you don’t want the culture information too then another company may be for you. We liked Major Tom’s approach.

P1140002.jpg

P1140005.jpg

Sploosh! In I go! A bigger splash than would've been made 3 days earlier following all the great grub we ate!

The caves were simply breathtaking. Keep your mouth closed when looking up so you don’t get bat poop in your trap!!

P1140028.jpg

The water was a little cool but I thought it was refreshing. Again, lots of information when we were traveling through the caves. Our guides knew their stuff!

P1140050.jpg

P1140085.jpg

We opted to pre-purchase lunch which was a smart idea. By the time we got finished we were starving hungry! Lunch was chicken, rice and beans and coleslaw. It tasted great!!

I have to say' date=' this is one of my favorite reviews so far! My DH and I are headed to the Valor at the end of March, 2nd cruise, but 1st just the two of us (already missing the kiddo.. :( )

I'm really enjoying reading this!![/quote']

Thank you. We had such a great time it seems only fair to share and to whet the appetite of others! :D

Archived