Passport Help! SOS!

khowe

I submitted an expedited request for a passport on Jan 5. Booked my very first cruise ever on the Glory departing 2/21/10.

I was born in Panama as my dad was in the military and stationed there.

I knew I needed a little extra documentation to prove citizenship (having a social security number, paying taxes and working for the past 38 years should account for something) so I gave the passport agent my birth certificate, my baptismal certificate, both of my parents' birth certificates AND their marriage license.

Well, guess what? The day before my 3 weeks expedited time frame was due to expire, the passport people say my birth certificate doesn't count as it is not a "special long-form, Canal Zone certificate) :(:(

I was told I needed to contact the vital records agency in DC and the average turn around time is 4-8 weeks.

I have sent in the request with the fees for the copy and a pre paid return FedEx envelope along with a heartfelt plea for a "special consideration" in hopes to get the birth certificate in time for the cruise as I know that I can use the birth cert and my DL to board.

I have contacted both of my state senators for assistance in expediting my request and have done a ton of praying.

I know everyone knows "someone in that dept" or has a special connection somewhere and I was hoping that one of the veteran and helpful, compassionate members of this board might be that person.

Advice? Tips? I am just sick with stress as this will be my first vacation in 9 years and my very first cruise. I was only able to secure that one week off of work due to staffing constraints on my department.

I have insurance and am not worried about re-couping my payments, but I really need to go on this vacation. I forgot to mention that the entire family is booked as well and they shouldn't have to cancel because of me.

I apologize for the length of this post, but as you can tell, I am grasping for anything right now.

Sincerely,

Kiki

I submitted an expedited request for a passport on Jan 5. Booked my very first cruise ever on the Glory departing 2/21/10.

I knew I needed a little extra documentation to prove citizenship (having a social security number, paying taxes and working for the past 38 years should account for something) so I gave the passport agent my birth certificate, my baptismal certificate, both of my parents' birth certificates AND their marriage license.

Well, guess what? The day before my 3 weeks expedited time frame was due to expire, the passport people say my birth certificate doesn't count as it is not a "special long-form, Canal Zone certificate) :(:(

I was told I needed to contact the vital records agency in DC and the average turn around time is 4-8 weeks.

I have sent in the request with the fees for the copy and a pre paid return FedEx envelope along with a heartfelt plea for a "special consideration" in hopes to get the birth certificate in time for the cruise as I know that I can use the birth cert and my DL to board.

I have contacted both of my state senators for assistance in expediting my request and have done a ton of praying.

I know everyone knows "someone in that dept" or has a special connection somewhere and I was hoping that one of the veteran and helpful, compassionate members of this board might be that person.

Advice? Tips? I am just sick with stress as this will be my first vacation in 9 years and my very first cruise. I was only able to secure that one week off of work due to staffing constraints on my department.

I have insurance and am not worried about re-couping my payments, but I really need to go on this vacation. I forgot to mention that the entire family is booked as well and they shouldn't have to cancel because of me.

I apologize for the length of this post, but as you can tell, I am grasping for anything right now.

Sincerely,

Kiki

Insurance will do nothing for you.If you or your family cancel they will loose probably half or more of the fare. Your situation is special.Does your birth certificate have an official seal? Raised?

STeve

Good luck and my prayers are with you.

I was also a military brat. My certificate of birth abroad worked. Is you dad still alive? Can he contact the militiary for a copy or rush a copy? I don't know if it would work but it was a thought.

:(

We all have our passports because I am paranoid. I was the only one of 5 children born on the states. All the others were born in Germany where my dad was stationed at various times. I know my sister had a hell of a time with her German birth certificate getting a passport too. You are a US citizen, correct? If it is a close ended cruise (begins and ends in the US), then my understanding is that you do not need a passport, only proof of citizenship.

Sincerely,

Kiki

Contacting your Senators was a good move Kiki. If your contact was by mail, I would suggest following up with a phone call in a few days. Push for specifics such as, what is being done and how he is going to help you. If you were a military 'brat' your Senator should be particularly knocking himself out to help you. You know they do have the power to make things happen.

Under the circumstances, it's probably OK to bug your Senator every few days for a status update, just to let his office know how important this is and to keep the problem fresh on his desk. Don't sit back and wait to hear from him unless his office says they will get back to you by a certain time. Be sure to follow up! This approach also keeps it from getting 'lost in the shuffle' and having time run out on you.

Now, try to relax. I am confident that it will work out. In fact, I know it will if you have a Senator on your side and cutting through the bureaucratic red tape. Just keep him well informed of everything that you have done.

You might be OK, even though you were born abroad as long as one of your parents was american, you are still considered a US Citizen (I think). If this is a closed loop cruise, meaning leaving from a US port and ending in a US port all you need is a certified birth certificate. I would contact Carnival and DHS as well and see if you might be OK.

We all have our passports because I am paranoid. I was the only one of 5 children born on the states. All the others were born in Germany where my dad was stationed at various times. I know my sister had a hell of a time with her German birth certificate getting a passport too. You are a US citizen, correct? If it is a close ended cruise (begins and ends in the US), then my understanding is that you do not need a passport, only proof of citizenship.

You can't use a foreign birth certificate - if your parents were US citizens and you were born abroad they had to fill out a Consular report of birth abroad. (think it's a FS-240?) THAT is what you need to get your passport. It would also work at the port probably. The canal might be different, but I'm not so sure.

You might be OK, even though you were born abroad as long as one of your parents was american, you are still considered a US Citizen (I think). If this is a closed loop cruise, meaning leaving from a US port and ending in a US port all you need is a certified birth certificate. I would contact Carnival and DHS as well and see if you might be OK.

CBP will NOT take a foreign birth certificate AFAIK.

My 2 friends and I leave in 3 weeks for our vacation. My friend was born in England (another military brat) and had exactly the same problem you have. But she had an expired passport from her teenage years that her dad still had.

She sent it, registered, to the guy she was dealing with and he processed her application, and she got her passport this past Saturday. Don't know if you're lucky enough to be in the same position, but if you are, try that- it means you were able to prove your US citizenship at one point!

Thank you all for the support! That means a lot to me in this very stressful time.

I am calling the Canal Zone Birth Certificate people tomorrow morning in the hopes that they have assigned my case to someone.

I also plan on calling my senators every other day as well.

The problem with the birth certificate that I have is it is not "certified".

No raised seal. The odd thing is that it has worked for every I9 I have ever filled out for an employer and also to get my social security card, etc.

It's so frustrating as I have paid taxes, worked, voted and lived in the US for 51 years...that should be proof enough!

I am losing sleep over this as I feel that none of this is in my control.

Thank you again!

Thank you all for the support! That means a lot to me in this very stressful time.

I am calling the Canal Zone Birth Certificate people tomorrow morning in the hopes that they have assigned my case to someone.

No raised seal. The odd thing is that it has worked for every I9 I have ever filled out for an employer and also to get my social security card, etc.

It's so frustrating as I have paid taxes, worked, voted and lived in the US for 51 years...that should be proof enough!

Thank you again!

I don't want to seem like the bad guy here but bugging a senator every other day? I would think they have more important stuff to do than to worry about someone who failed to plan ahead.

Next, if you are unable to go,the penalties get more and more the closer you get to sailing and insurance IS NOT going to cover you.

Steve

Senators and Congressional representatives have large office staff, and their job is to help constituents with problems like this...passports, veteran's benefits, whatever....so i wouldn't be concerned about the OP "bugging" his senator everyother day.

I don't want to seem like the bad guy here but bugging a senator every other day? I would think they have more important stuff to do than to worry about someone who failed to plan ahead.

Next, if you are unable to go,the penalties get more and more the closer you get to sailing and insurance IS NOT going to cover you.

Steve

Actually, Steve, most US senators and congressional reps have people on staff just to handle this sort of situation -- unpaid interns, low-level staffers, wannabe wonks. (I have friends who are congressional and senatorial staffers, and this is de riguer stuff for them.) They'll babysit a passport throught the process if need be.

Steve

Actually, you are quite wrong. They try to help constituents with issues with federal agencies.

And, how do you know insurance is not going to cover him? Have you read his policy? Do you know the riders he might have purchased?

I didn't know it either, but they are called Constituent Advocates and I hope that they will be as eager to help you if you need it, Steve as they are to help me.

It is not that I failed to plan ahead at all. My hospital birth certificate combined with my baptismal certificate had always worked to establish citizenship with government agencies such as the Social Security department and also every time I have to complete an I9 for an employer to satisfy the strict and stringent rules of the US Deptartment of Immigration. I work for a major Fortune 500 company and they are known for their own intensive policies for employing people with proper documentation.

Kiki

I have no idea what kind of BC you have or who issued it, but the WHTI does not require a certified copy.

If you look at the actual language of the WHTI final rule, it requires "an original or a copy". It does not use "official copy" or "certified copy".

This is from a FAQ on the WHTI:

Quote:

Does my birth certificate need to be a certified, original copy? CBP recommends that, where possible, an original or a certified copy of your birth certificate be presented. However, under certain circumstances, e.g., if you have sent the original in for a passport application, a copy may be accepted.

http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/...andsea_faq.pdf (emphasis added).

Actually, Steve, most US senators and congressional reps have people on staff just to handle this sort of situation -- unpaid interns, low-level staffers, wannabe wonks. (I have friends who are congressional and senatorial staffers, and this is de riguer stuff for them.) They'll babysit a passport throught the process if need be.

I am confused here???:confused::confused:

OP stated ...State Senator,not US Senator in original reply. I fully understand about a US Senator and all the aids,staff,interns,ect.But the State Senator does not have all the people,staff,ect.They will and have returned calls from either the Senator themselves or their aid.Bugging them every other day over a passport would be a pain in their neck.

Steve

I am confused here???:confused::confused:

OP stated ...State Senator,not US Senator in original reply. I fully understand about a US Senator and all the aids,staff,interns,ect.But the State Senator does not have all the people,staff,ect.They will and have returned calls from either the Senator themselves or their aid.Bugging them every other day over a passport would be a pain in their neck.

Steve

Read in context, the OP stated "both of my state senators". Do you know of any state that uses dual representation for its state senate districts? I don't, so the logical inference is that the OP meant both of his United States Senators.

I have no idea what kind of BC you have or who issued it, but the WHTI does not require a certified copy.

If you look at the actual language of the WHTI final rule, it requires "an original or a copy". It does not use "official copy" or "certified copy".

This is from a FAQ on the WHTI:

Quote:

http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/...andsea_faq.pdf (emphasis added).

Again - the CBP is not going to accept a foreign birth certificate for a US citizen. Certified or not. The only thing they'll except for a foreign birth is a Consular report of birth abroad (FS-240). I'm sure the previous mentioned military brat from England has one as well. (I do - as I was born in Germany - a military brat) - However if you have that previous passport that is considered proof enough and no birth certificate needed - that's how that person did it. However that person should go ahead and apply to get a replacement FS-240, but put it in a safe place as you can only ever get 1 or 2 replacements in your lifetime!

Sounds like the Canal zone had some special document, but the same rules apply here - that's the only document that can serve as a birth certificate in this circumstance - whether at the port or for your passport. If carnival tells you different DO NOT BELIEVE IT. They aren't the ones responsible for letting you back into the country. Reason being is that a foreign birth certificate does squat to prove you are a US citizen. If you have a US birth certificate it will prove you were born on US Soil and that automagically makes you a citizen. The FS-240 or the Canal Zone thing the OP is talking about proves that your parents or one of your parents were US citizens, but you were born abroad. A previous passport proves you are a US citizen, but only for the purposes of applying for a new passport.

DON'T take a foreign birth cert and expect it to work - I can't stress this enough!

Again - the CBP is not going to accept a foreign birth certificate for a US citizen. Certified or not. The only thing they'll except for a foreign birth is a Consular report of birth abroad (FS-240). I'm sure the previous mentioned military brat from England has one as well. (I do - as I was born in Germany - a military brat) - However if you have that previous passport that is considered proof enough and no birth certificate needed - that's how that person did it. However that person should go ahead and apply to get a replacement FS-240, but put it in a safe place as you can only ever get 1 or 2 replacements in your lifetime!

Sounds like the Canal zone had some special document, but the same rules apply here - that's the only document that can serve as a birth certificate in this circumstance - whether at the port or for your passport. If carnival tells you different DO NOT BELIEVE IT. They aren't the ones responsible for letting you back into the country. Reason being is that a foreign birth certificate does squat to prove you are a US citizen. If you have a US birth certificate it will prove you were born on US Soil and that automagically makes you a citizen. The FS-240 or the Canal Zone thing the OP is talking about proves that your parents or one of your parents were US citizens, but you were born abroad. A previous passport proves you are a US citizen, but only for the purposes of applying for a new passport.

DON'T take a foreign birth cert and expect it to work - I can't stress this enough!

Good information.

I will note that if he does manage to get on the ship somehow, he will be able to enter the country again. It might be a hassle and he would probably be subject to some type of examination/hearing, but the WHTI and CBP rules contemplate and account for a US citizen showing up at the border without proper documents.

Read in context, the OP stated "both of my state senators". Do you know of any state that uses dual representation for its state senate districts? I don't, so the logical inference is that the OP meant both of his United States Senators.

I am an idiot today I guess.:o:)

What you stated makes perfect sense and is 100% correct.

Thanks for setting me straight.

Steve

All true, but in this case the OP was born in what was the US Canal zone. US Territory up until 1979, with rights of citizenship by virtue of birth within the territory regardless of parentage. There would not have been a consular report of birth abroad in the case. OP has asked the appropriate US dept. for a certified copy....which apparently she did not have earlier.

Thank you again!

You will have much better luck with your Representative than your senator. They do this stuff every day, the senators don't usually, they pass it off to the reps.

I didn't know it either, but they are called Constituent Advocates and I hope that they will be as eager to help you if you need it, Steve as they are to help me.

It is not that I failed to plan ahead at all. My hospital birth certificate combined with my baptismal certificate had always worked to establish citizenship with government agencies such as the Social Security department and also every time I have to complete an I9 for an employer to satisfy the strict and stringent rules of the US Deptartment of Immigration. I work for a major Fortune 500 company and they are known for their own intensive policies for employing people with proper documentation.

Kiki

Kiki

The problem you have run into has nothing to do with you, as musch as it does with the times. Since 9/11 the rules have changed. What would have worked for documentation prior is no longer any good. The fact that you have been in the country 51 years, worked, paid taxes, etc. is great, but you don't have to be a citizen to do that, you just have to be legally here. Getting a passport however requires citizenship and a different level of proof.

Good luck with this whole mess.

Archived