Carnival Cruise Ship Collides with Dock in St. Kitts

LauraS

What is happening ? ? ? :confused: All these collisions, etc. I've never ever heard of ships colliding with anything until just recently.

They need to start renaming some of their ships. :confused:

as it was coming into port in New Orleans; at about 5am a barge on the Mississippi went

"rogue" and rammed into the Fantasy (not too far from our cabin)...VERY loud and a huge gash just above the waterline.

We disembarked on schedule; but heard later the next cruise crowd; after boarding; were told they could stay over night but the cruise would have to be cancelled to facilitate repairs. I felt bad for them; and this was NOT CCL's fault; I imagine the barge company's insurance paid out to Carnival big time.

Mitch

If I am correct about this, the Captain does not actually dock or depart the ship. We have witnessed the pilot coming onboard and departing (jumping onto a small boat alongside the ship). Maybe Carnival captains should pilot their own ships.

If I am correct about this, the Captain does not actually dock or depart the ship. We have witnessed the pilot coming onboard and departing (jumping onto a small boat alongside the ship). Maybe Carnival captains should pilot their own ships.

Captains do pilot their ships in port. The harbor pilot just provides advice. The only time a ship's master relinquishes control to a non crew member is transiting the Panama Canal.

The funny thing is, we were just on the Miracle on Jan 7th, and the CD Malcolm during the debarkation talk stated that the captain we had would be leaving after the following week which means that there is a 'new' captain on the ship right now.

Your statement is correct as far as it goes. The pilot has local knowledge and, in some ports like Savannah, there are even docking pilots. Ultimately, though, the Captain is responsible and has the right and duty to override any action of the pilot.

Doc

Captains do pilot their ships in port. The harbor pilot just provides advice. The only time a ship's master relinquishes control to a non crew member is transiting the Panama Canal.

The pilot provides more than advice. He/she gives direct commands to the helm and other crew members of the ship's crew when entering or leaving a port. The Captain has the duty to overrule the pilot if he/she thinks the ship is heading into danger.

I can think of many situations where a pilot is in direct control of a vessel. For example, a foreign flag vessel anywhere in the Great Lakes is under the direct command of the Great Lakes Pilot assigned to the vessel for the particular waters in which it is navigating.

Dinging a cruise ship is not good for the career prospects of either the pilot or the Captain.

Doc

The pilot provides more than advice. He/she gives direct commands to the helm and other crew members of the ship's crew when entering or leaving a port. The Captain has the duty to overrule the pilot if he/she thinks the ship is heading into danger.

I can think of many situations where a pilot is in direct control of a vessel. For example, a foreign flag vessel anywhere in the Great Lakes is under the direct command of the Great Lakes Pilot assigned to the vessel for the particular waters in which it is navigating.

Dinging a cruise ship is not good for the career prospects of either the pilot or the Captain.

Doc

Thanks Doc....some people think the pilot just hangs around the bridge looking at charts.

If anyone on these boards wants to know what a pilot does on a ship, they should do a little research on it. The captain or master is always in legal command of a ship and can override the pilot, but it is the pilot that takes the helm while in port and docking.

check out this link to see a pilot in action:

http://www2.tbo.com/video/2009/jan/15/harbor-pilots-in-tampa-bay-81184/

Thanks Doc....some people think the pilot just hangs around the bridge looking at charts.

If anyone on these boards wants to know what a pilot does on a ship, they should do a little research on it. The captain or master is always in legal command of a ship and can override the pilot, but it is the pilot that takes the helm while in port and docking.

check out this link to see a pilot in action:

http://www2.tbo.com/video/2009/jan/15/harbor-pilots-in-tampa-bay-81184/

According to the captains of the ships I have been on, the pilot goes to the buffet and eats donuts.

Pardon me for asking, but does anyone know if it was the bow or the stern where the gash is located? One picture looks like the bow and the other picture looks like the stern. Does anyone know?

According the the pictures in this article, http://www.sknvibes.com/News/NewsDetails.cfm/12969 it must be the bow. The ship is tied up in both pictures and the dock is on the right in both pictures so I would guess that it's the bow.

The funny thing is, we were just on the Miracle on Jan 7th, and the CD Malcolm during the debarkation talk stated that the captain we had would be leaving after the following week which means that there is a 'new' captain on the ship right now.

New is a relative term. Just like the other crew members, Captains rotate on/off ships for "vacation" time.

These type of things happen from time to time. A few years ago ship got a gash in Costa Maya, and a Princess ship got one in I believe in Vancouver.

According to the captains of the ships I have been on, the pilot goes to the buffet and eats donuts.

Gee.....making upwards of 300 grand a year to eat donuts. :confused:

Give me the names of those captains. I'll make sure to avoid the ships they're responsible for.

Gee.....making upwards of 300 grand a year to eat donuts. :confused:

Give me the names of those captains. I'll make sure to avoid the ships they're responsible for.

One was the captain of the Serenade of the Seas in April 2008. Another was the captain of the NCL Jade in February 2008. I know there is a third, but I can't remember which ship.

Who knows, perhaps the pilot was running late that day and didn't have breakfast. :)

Of course the only captains that say this are the ones that are on the same itinerary week after week. At that time the Serenade OTS was doing the same itinerary every week. Now I think it alternates between two.

One was the captain of the Serenade of the Seas in April 2008. Another was the captain of the NCL Jade in February 2008. I know there is a third, but I can't remember which ship.

Who knows, perhaps the pilot was running late that day and didn't have breakfast. :)

Of course the only captains that say this are the ones that are on the same itinerary week after week. At that time the Serenade OTS was doing the same itinerary every week. Now I think it alternates between two.

Cuizer2.....I respect your opinion. You've certainly been around here longer than I have and I don't doubt your word. I just think the pilots don't get enough credit for what they do. I know I wouldn't want the job.

happy cruzin....

Doc

Very true about the pilot. They give direct commands.... spent many years in Navy myself...

Cuizer2.....I respect your opinion. You've certainly been around here longer than I have and I don't doubt your word. I just think the pilots don't get enough credit for what they do. I know I wouldn't want the job.

happy cruzin....

I'm pretty sure the captains were kidding. Nonetheless, they did say it.

Archived