What to do when we'll only be in Puerto Rico from 4pm-11:30pm

ntengwall

I'm not quite sure I understand the reasoning behind only stopping in Puerto Rico from 4:00pm-11:30pm but that's what the Explorer is doing so I'm wondering what to do in that time frame. I have 3 kids (7, 11 and 13) so touring the rum factory is kinda out of the question LOL Wondering if we should just stay on the boat since getting off would mean paying for a dinner somewhere in San Juan and I'd rather spend the $ on an excursion somewhere else. Any tips/ideas? Thanks!

I'm not quite sure I understand the reasoning behind only stopping in Puerto Rico from 4:00pm-11:30pm but that's what the Explorer is doing so I'm wondering what to do in that time frame. I have 3 kids (7, 11 and 13) so touring the rum factory is kinda out of the question LOL Wondering if we should just stay on the boat since getting off would mean paying for a dinner somewhere in San Juan and I'd rather spend the $ on an excursion somewhere else. Any tips/ideas? Thanks!

We will also be in PR in the late afternoon, and we are figuring on the Segway Tour. There is a lot of info on this on the PR boards. Sounds like something that you and your boys can do together, and have a great time doing it.

Hope you have a fun cruise,

If you're there on a Saturday, there is a concert/folk performance in the plaza near the port. There will be plenty of shops oepn if shopping is your thing. Once again, depending on the time of year (early or late sunset), a walk to the fort might be good. Just beware that it's all uphill. On the way there you could detour to the small overlook we call pidgeon park where there are hundreds of pidgeons just waiting to be fed. There is also a tourist trolley that wends it's way throughout Old San Juan. If you've never been there it is certainly worth your time. Bon Voyage!

Head to the El Morro Castle first. Enjoy that for a while (They close at 5:30 or 6:00; $3.00 per person admission). You can take a taxi or wait for the trolley. Then walk back to the ship through the Fifth Centennial Plaza, Plaza San Jose, down Cristo street. Halfway down you might want to stop at the San Juan Cathedral (or Basilica Menor). From here you might want to continue down Cristo, and then east on Fortaleza street for shopping, or cut down perpendicular Cristo street in front of the Cathedral, to the ancient San Juan Gate, and then stroll along the bayside promenade which takes you back to your ship.

That should complete your afternoon/early evening.

You shouldn't rule out dinner in Old San Juan. There are plenty fine places to eat.

We were in Puerto Rico last March for that amount of time with our 17 year old daughter. We walked up to the fort and looked around. Then watched the dancing. After that we walked around town and ate supper. It was a fun time but we wished we had been there during the day and into the evening. It was dark when we started downtown from the fort but we felt safe. The dock is not that far away from downtown. You could go back to the boat to eat and then continue back downtown but it would be a lot of backtracking.

There should be one particular excursion I would seriously recommend...the bioluminescent lagoon. You'll take a bus for an hour or two, then get in kayaks and paddle the bay. The organisms light up when disturbed, so you can see where you paddle and splash, and if you pour water over your boys, they'll light up. Book early as it's very popular.

Go have dinner at Barrachina where the original Pina Colada was invented. The food is quite good and they have a free show during the evening.

It's an easy walk form the cruise port. Google the name to get details.

There are 2 forts in Old San Juan. Our first time there, we did not realize this, and didn't got to El Morro, the one you see in the posters. Of the 2 forts, that is the most spectacular. I suggest that you either take a taxi or if you are lucky enough to grab the free trolley, take it up to the fort. I believe the fort closes at 5 p.m., but it is still spectacular from outside. Then, as others have suggested, wind you way back down through Old San Juan to the pier.

When you get off the ship, to your left is a plaza that contains a tourist information building. You can get a map there for your walk, or you can go on-line and find one.

Enjoy Old San Juan; with its narrow, cobblestone streets, it is like walking in Europe.

True, there are two forts. Very historical and great to visit. The stores normally stay opened if there is a ship on dock. The outlet street is good to shop. Otherwise, Aviator of the Seas described it very well. Read that posting.

For those on the Liberty 7-2:30. try the Bacardi tour or the El Yunque tour. Very good!! Otherwise, be careful planning on your own.

There is a restaurant at the Plaza, Cafe Puerto Rico, extremely good and very reasonable price.

When you sail in, be sure to be on the port (left) side of the ship. The view coming in is amazing and you and your kids will really enjoy seeing the fort. We sat at a little liquor store right next to the pier and people watched while drinking cheap Modelo, but I'm guessing that's not in the cards for you guys. :) Have a great cruise!

Going around hundreds of nasty pigeons is NOT my idea of a good time.....

I like the pigeon park! It's fun to feed them, and I've never been pooped on!

Photo: http://www.herbytoys.com/Vaca_Images/Cruise2002/Patti_Pigeon_attack.jpg

Depends on what time of the year it is. That's a difficult time to arrive, there is a walking tour of old San Juan or perhaps the Segway tour as somone else mentioned.

I like the pigeon park! It's fun to feed them, and I've never been pooped on!

Photo: http://www.herbytoys.com/Vaca_Images/Cruise2002/Patti_Pigeon_attack.jpg

Depends on what time of the year it is. That's a difficult time to arrive, there is a walking tour of old San Juan or perhaps the Segway tour as somone else mentioned.

They're pooping on people because people like you are feeding them!! :eek::D

There are 2 forts in Old San Juan. Our first time there, we did not realize this, and didn't got to El Morro, the one you see in the posters. Of the 2 forts, that is the most spectacular. I suggest that you either take a taxi or if you are lucky enough to grab the free trolley, take it up to the fort. I believe the fort closes at 5 p.m., but it is still spectacular from outside. Then, as others have suggested, wind you way back down through Old San Juan to the pier.

When you get off the ship, to your left is a plaza that contains a tourist information building. You can get a map there for your walk, or you can go on-line and find one.

Enjoy Old San Juan; with its narrow, cobblestone streets, it is like walking in Europe.

AOS will be at the port 7:00am and our flight is 2:30pm. when shoudl we get to the airport? do we have enough time to visit old san juan in the morning? does time permit if we'd like to the rainforest?

AOS will be at the port 7:00am and our flight is 2:30pm. when shoudl we get to the airport? do we have enough time to visit old san juan in the morning? does time permit if we'd like to the rainforest?

Joanna, in San Juan, just because you arrive, don't assume that you can disembark soon thereafter. There is a lot of paperwork that they do to allow us to disembark. If you do the option of sending your luggage ahead to the airline (I forget what this is called but it was $20 pp last cruise) you may have enough time to do a quick tour of OSJ. If you want to do the rainforest, there may be a tour through the ship that takes you there, and that would be okay to take. They know your flight schedule.

San Juan airport isn't the most user-friendly airport. I am sure others can help you figure out the timing for this better than I can.

Would you have time on the day your ship sails to do OSJ? That would be a better bet.

Archived