Need some help, going to miss San Juan embarkation.

neurosurg

It's a shame you missed the ship but I'm happy to hear that US Air is stepping up and doing the right thing.

Thank you so much for keeping us informed and if you get the change, let us know how things go tomorrow.

As others said, kudos to USAirways to getting you to Tortola and getting you hotel rooms. Glad to hear it is going to work out! Thanks for updating us--coming back to CC would've been the last thing on my mind. :eek: Hope you'll let us know how the rest of the trip goes. Safe travels the rest of the way.

I remember that cruise - we actually got in on Thursday - the snowstorm was on Friday (if I recall correctly) - and tons of delays on saturday boarding from folks that were due in, etc..... and it effected everyone from the midwest thru the east coast....

mother nature can be cruel sometimes! she must not have ever been on a cruise! she needs a vacation! :D

Yes, that was the one. It was funny watching people ON the plane calling people who were traveling from the midwest and advising them on connecting flights and coordinating travel.

I would not normally plan for a snowstorm in the DC area in mid-March although 1 - 2 inches of snow is enough to create havoc here.

BTW, this recent storm that caused these people to miss their sailing was only supposed to give us a dusting. I guess 6 - 8 inches is a dusting and I refuse to shovel a dusting of snow. Besides we leave Wednesday for our cruise so I don't care (and they are predicting another storm next weekend).

There was another thread with someone flying out yesterday, from Charlotte, for a cruise departing same day.

She got concerned about the weather reports, called the airline, and they let her change her flight to Friday without any fees....guess they figured it would be nice to have two less people to deal with when the weather hit.

Of course nothing one can do about equipment failure. We were delayed twice...once because of a cracked window in the cockpit and once because the plug hooking the plane to the terminal fused into the socket and they couldn't unplug the plane.

Great news! Enjoy!

Glad USAir stepped up.....since it seemingly WAS in their control they did the right thing to get you caught up.....(although, someplace in their contract of carriage it probably absolves them of the necessity to do that.all they had to do was get you to SJU..:eek: though i am not the CofC scholar by any means!)

Have fun on the rest of the cruise....while you missed a day, at least you know you'll catch up to the ship quickly!

thanks for keeping us posted!

Glad you guys finally make it to San Juan! I am a flight attendant on AA, and I actually worked our morning flight from Philadelphia to San Juan yesterday morning...we were right on time!!!! A little ironic!! Hopefully, you're on the ship in Tortola by now, relaxing and having fun!!

Wow read all or most all the post and comments, and glad things are turning out well. We are 2 1/2 hours from San Diego or Los Angelas and if flying out of Los Angelas will go in the day before. I think should we take a cruise during Dec out of the East coast, we will fly in 2 days before in case there are winter delays.

I am wondering the reason that RCI could not hold the ship. Seems like there were at least 70 passengers that were arriving late. I understand if it were only a few folks...but that many! I am glad the USAir stepped up to the plate to make it a little easier for the many disappointed passengers. I was also very impressed with the attitude of the OP...I probably would have been one of those lunatic people carrying on....:).

Hope RCI explains their decision.

I am wondering the reason that RCI could not hold the ship. Seems like there were at least 70 passengers that were arriving late. I understand if it were only a few folks...but that many! I am glad the USAir stepped up to the plate to make it a little easier for the many disappointed passengers. I was also very impressed with the attitude of the OP...I probably would have been one of those lunatic people carrying on....:).

There is only so much leeway in how long the Captain can hold the ship in port.

RCI cannot just decide to hold the ship as long as it wants. The port controls how long the ship can remain, as the dockworkers must continue to be paid to remain in order to assist with the departure of the ship. They cannot simply remain for hours unless the port agrees to allow it, and the line agrees to pay the significant costs it will incur to remain there.

RCI cannot just decide to hold the ship as long as it wants. The port controls how long the ship can remain, as the dockworkers must continue to be paid to remain in order to assist with the departure of the ship. They cannot simply remain for hours unless the port agrees to allow it, and the line agrees to pay the significant costs it will incur to remain there.

I expect the costs are significant. I wonder if it would be any cheaper or even possible to undock and anchor or hold station in the harbor or off shore. Then tender the late passengers?

I expect the costs are significant. I wonder if it would be any cheaper or even possible to undock and anchor or hold station in the harbor or off shore. Then tender the late passengers?

Again, even remaining at anchor in the harbor the ship remains under port control. Its their waters...their rules. Even leaving the port completely and settling offshore...they would be unable to run tender operations without permission and supervision of the port staff.

Besides...tender operations in the dark would most likely be considered very dangerous for both passengers AND their accompanying luggage.

Again, even remaining at anchor in the harbor the ship remains under port control. Its their waters...their rules. Even leaving the port completely and settling offshore...they would be unable to run tender operations without permission and supervision of the port staff.

Besides...tender operations in the dark would most likely be considered very dangerous for both passengers AND their accompanying luggage.

And let's not forget that they just can't anchor, willy nilly, wherever they wish.

Archived