Ladies! Where do you buy your evening gowns?

FliLady

Consider a day trip to Buffalo or the Premium Outlets in Niagara Falls New York. It is a fun shopping experience and just a day trip from TO.

My daughter got a beautiful prom dress for $29.99. Plus if you spend under $150 they ussually let you through without paying duty.

which certain stores you are saying? or anyone?

I tend to shop at Marshall's, TJ Max, Ross for Less and Dillard's. Talk about nice clothes for super prices. You will feel good and look good in them. Then you can spend the money you save on your cruise..... Gotta love it!........

I was in TJ Maxx this past weekend they had some gorgeous gowns in there at really good prices. I already have my formal dress, a black halter dress, it goes with everything, I love it.

anyone from Toronto? i have the same question here. those told us shopping online, would you please give us the website if you don't mind.

thanks

I've bought some short cocktail dresses from Coldwatercreek dot com online.

They also have a clearance section.

You really have to search for the shipping info on the US websites, since a lot I've looked at do not do international shipping. I now check the shipping policies before I fall in love with a dress.

I have bought mine online and at Macy's but my favorite things have come from Marshalls and TJ Maxx. I have a new Tahari dress I bought for $25- tag price $450. The dress is beautiful and so was the price.

I bought some Escada evening trousers on EBay and they are so nice for the cruise because I take a few dressy tops and I have three evenings' outfits.

Consider a day trip to Buffalo or the Premium Outlets in Niagara Falls New York. It is a fun shopping experience and just a day trip from TO.

My daughter got a beautiful prom dress for $29.99. Plus if you spend under $150 they ussually let you through without paying duty.

Hi Karen. What stores do you go to? I'm just a puddle-jump from the border.

With my casual lifestyle I don't get a lot of chances to really dress up, so when we book a cruise you better believe I am buying a new gown! I shop the regulars (Nordstrom, Macys, Marshalls, etc) and have found some great deals but the trick is START SHOPPING EARLY AND DON'T BE IN A HURRY. We all seem to book these cruises months in advance but wait till the last minute to shop for clothes. If you shop a lot (like I do) check out the formal section, you never know when a sale might come up or you might find a dress that fits like a dream and you "just have to have";)

I have found some dresses in store just after Christmas & New Years at great prices. Also, shopping just after Prom can yield some good bargains. My local Macy's tends to have some nice dresses in store, but Nordstrom features many more options on their web site. Once I bought a beautiful dress at Burlington Coat Factory for $20 (long, simple & elegent, black) but then in other years they didn't have much of a selection. I walked through there the other day and saw lots of floor length gowns on display but didn't have time to stop and look at them.

Also check spiegel.com and newportnews.com. They have beautiful dresses. Some are new arrivals, others are on sale. If you can, try and wait until a holiday weekend. I wanted a bathing suit (which I didn't need), so I was watching the price for awhile. Last July 4 weekend, I went onto the spiegel site. They were advertising 30% anything on the site! I bought the bathing suit.

I've looked at Dillard's and Macy's with no luck! A few finds, but not my size. There are so many beautiful gowns online, but they don't allow returns and with the price tags, I'd hate to not have it fit properly. I'm starting to get nervous!

I've looked at Dillard's and Macy's with no luck! A few finds, but not my size. There are so many beautiful gowns online, but they don't allow returns and with the price tags, I'd hate to not have it fit properly. I'm starting to get nervous!

With you being in the St. Louis area (the family lives there) have you checked TJ Maxx, Marshall. Dress Barn. How about Penney's (the one at St. Clair Square usually has a wide variety of evening clothes, so I'm sure the ones over in Missouri do) or even Sears.

Susan :)

I bought my 2 formal dresses online at pacificplex.com. It's an online plus size/junior plus size formal shop that has a great return policy. As long as the dress is returned in it's original condition (not altered, stained, or worn) then they accept full returns & exchanges within 30 days of purchase. It's the best return/exchange policy I've seen for online shops. They have great prices too. I bought 2 full length formal gowns. One was $60 & the other was $80 and they look exactly the same as the $200-400 dresses I saw at other shops. Also, shipping was only $10! :eek: I recommend to look online for coupon codes before you buy though because it can save you even more. I think I got about 10% off my order. Here are the dresses: The red one was $60, the blue one was $80...

Dress1.jpg.e92e1bad4f12ae72c1d3e56d117e782f.jpg

265183126_Dress2.jpg.f522be043e33658fc28766d0b828cc0e.jpg

David's Bridal has very cute cocktail dresses in many sizes

I too have used David's Bridal MANY times, they offer you the choice of cocktail dresses, tea length or floor length dresses. Find a dress you like and then you have your choice of colors and all sizes. I find them true to size, I either order on-line or over the phone and they mail them right to my house! I only had one that needed some minor alterations so I took it to a tailor that I have used many times that I know is very good. They have dresses for all age groups too.

Thank you! I've found so many beautiful ones online but with the no return policy, I'm not willing to spend $400!!! I will check it out. I've been to JC Penny, Nordstrom, Macy's, Cache all with no luck. I am finding it very difficult to find a size 14. It seems they only make gowns for sizes 2 - 8!!!

Thank you! I've found so many beautiful ones online but with the no return policy, I'm not willing to spend $400!!! I will check it out. I've been to JC Penny, Nordstrom, Macy's, Cache all with no luck. I am finding it very difficult to find a size 14. It seems they only make gowns for sizes 2 - 8!!!

Yes they make gowns for Size 14 but since that seems to currently be the average size American women are wearing they go first.

I have a sister in Plus Size and I'm a 14 and when it comes to shopping for her I have a bigger choice for her than I do at a Size 14.

Susan :)

Villy99,

Was the quality of the dresses you ordered good? I checked the site and found a dress I like, but I was just curious about the quality level...

I was impressed with the quality of the dresses I purchased, especially for the price. They also have a shop through amazon.com where you can see reviews of each dress that will help you with if the dress is made well & if the size tends to run large or small. One tip is that some of these dresses are in junior plus sizes so make sure you match up your measurements to the size chart before you buy. The only downside of the amazon page is that they don't have quite all of the dresses that their main website has. Here's the link to the amazon page for Pacific Plex. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_sr_apparel?ie=UTF8&search-alias=apparel&field-brandtextbin=PacificPlex

Archived