Ladies! Where do you buy your evening gowns?

FliLady

I second Nordstrom's. I buy online (usually at one of their clearance times, more selection than the stores) and if it doesn't work out the good thing is you just take the item and your packing slip and you can return it to the store. Done it a couple of times here in Anchorage. There's a Nordstrom's at the West County Mall in Des Peres.

Susan :)

One thing I like to do is buy them when they go on clearance at the end of the summer:) Great deals to be had - once got a $200 gown for $40 :p Gotta love them! PLUS have gown, will travel;) or Buy the gown and the cruise will come:D Dress Barn and the like are also good for nice looking but not too costly dresses and capris too!

I have to add to the Nordstrom's fan club. I got my last evening dress there - it was my souvenir from my trip to Hawaii! :o I know it was a long way to go and it's not something I would typically buy as a souvenir.

I've also gotten dresses at Macy's and Lord & Taylor (when they were going out of business here in Atlanta - great deals!). If you have an outlet mall near you, you may also want to try there. I got a really nice dress at the Off 5th Saks 5th Avenue Outlet.

I have posted my answer to this question on our Voyager thread and there are some photos of dresses I've gotten at Ross Dress For Less. You wouldn't believe the quality of some of these dresses. And the prices can't be matched even at sales with coupons. I've bought several for under $20. I don't mind posting one cuz there's nothing that thrills a lady like a good bargain. This one was $14.99, a black cocktail length crepe fabric and it is washable!

e0r1bb.jpg

My evening gowns are tired and I want to get a few new ones. Just recently moved to St. Louis, and I don't know where to begin looking. Where do you shop for yours?

The Salvation Army. Most women will wear a formal gown twice. After that it's been seen by all of their social set so they won't wear it again. They donate it to the salvation army.

Also, there are many lovely gowns that were once brides maid dresses (not all of them are tacky) and these can be quite acceptable for formal nights.

I'm just about tired of my black satin floor length gown that I wore on 3 cruises and paid $15 (plus cleaning) for at the SA. I'm donating it to a local program that provides prom dresses for disadvantaged girls.

Here's me in my Salvation Army gown. (I'm the one without the beard)

Lord & Taylor for me. A great time is shortly after the holidays when all the New Year's Eve dresses are on Clearance. Plus you can usually find extra 20% coupons in the newspaper or online. I bought a dress about two weeks ago for our up=coming cruise. Regular price $178, got it on clearance for $30. ;)

JC Penney, Dillards, Sears, Macy's. Any of those stores in the mall. I check them out and then buy them on sale. I have six fantastic full length gowns that I have purchased for under $60. Some, at Dillards I bought for under $30 and they are absolutely stunning - see my picture! Well, shoot, you really can't see anything, but this is a full length sequined gown. Gorgeous - for under $30

One thing I like to do is buy them when they go on clearance at the end of the summer:) Great deals to be had - once got a $200 gown for $40 :p

Early January is a good time to get them too. Stores stock on up on cocktail wear for Christmas parties and New Years parties and then mark it down to get rid of what's leftover.

I got a little black sequined sleeveless sheath at Banana Republic in early January last year. I think originally it was something like $170. It was marked way down to $35 or so. A few days after I bought it, the same dress was marked down again, and because it was less than a week later, they gave me another price adjustment. I think the final price I paid was $22.

Macy's, Dillards, Belk....almost ANY large dept. store will have a good selection, and they almost always have a big rack of discounted gowns/dresses....even when I don't NEED one, if I see something I like that fits (both body and pocketbook), I buy it!

Consider a day trip to Buffalo or the Premium Outlets in Niagara Falls New York. It is a fun shopping experience and just a day trip from TO.

My daughter got a beautiful prom dress for $29.99. Plus if you spend under $150 they ussually let you through without paying duty.

Archived