Venice/Barcelona Hotel/Travel Guide Tips

Chatain

I wanted to thank everyone for taking the time to respond to my questions and for providing so many recommendations - which I'll be checking out. I'll also check out the other CC board. Thanks also for the web links. CC Members are the best and have a vast amount of knowledge. Thanks Lorrie:D

• 5 months later...

Topmost hotels of Venice are:

Hotel Al Ponte Mocenigo

Hotel Canal Grande

Al Ponte Antico Hotel

Hotels with some special packages:

Ca' Gottardi

Hotel Al Vagon

Hotel Elite

Staying in vacation homes rather than hotels is quite cool and interesting. Also easily avail at affordable prices.

Looking for rental villas

villa majorque

location mallorca

location villa ibiza

Hello:

We were in Barcelona for 3 nights pre-cruise last fall. There were 3 couples..I booked us a 5 bedroom/3 bath apartment in the L'Exaimple area (beautiful to walk through - just near the Sagrada Familia - lots of fresh food markets, etc.).

It worked out to be about $125Cnd per night/per couple. We had lots of room - were sent flowers and wine by the owners. They sent a fellow over to our apartment armed with brochures, maps, info for us. We couldn't have been happier with the service.

We bought a two day pass on the hop on hop off bus - and used it as transportation all over the city. We had dinner one night down on the beach - watched the fireworks (we were lucky enough to be there during the Merce festival) and saw all of Barcelona .

I think an apartment is the way to go - and there are lots of them. Ours had air conditioning - and as I said - the owners were wonderful. (He is from Barcelona and she is from Dallas, Texas!- no communication problems for me!)

QG

Fellow Canuck:

We are booked for Sep/11 and was wondering what the name of the apartment was that you stayed in. I like the location and price and we would only need a 2 bedroom which may make it cheaper yet. Also, do you have a website for the apartment ?

Dave

Hello:

We were in Barcelona for 3 nights pre-cruise last fall. There were 3 couples..I booked us a 5 bedroom/3 bath apartment in the L'Exaimple area (beautiful to walk through - just near the Sagrada Familia - lots of fresh food markets, etc.).

It worked out to be about $125Cnd per night/per couple. We had lots of room - were sent flowers and wine by the owners. They sent a fellow over to our apartment armed with brochures, maps, info for us. We couldn't have been happier with the service.

We bought a two day pass on the hop on hop off bus - and used it as transportation all over the city. We had dinner one night down on the beach - watched the fireworks (we were lucky enough to be there during the Merce festival) and saw all of Barcelona .

I think an apartment is the way to go - and there are lots of them. Ours had air conditioning - and as I said - the owners were wonderful. (He is from Barcelona and she is from Dallas, Texas!- no communication problems for me!)

QG

For Venice - Buy a vaparetto pass. You can even visit Murano. We just loved riding around. For tips that will save you time and money and help you plan efficiently - check out the Rick Steves books from your local library. He even tells which line to take to reach a certain stop/museum and, if I remember, gives a link where you can download info to MP3 and take with you. He gives the prices, hours of operation, days closed, reservation information, etc. I used note cards to have specific info that we would need. (There is a book for Barcelona as well).

Rick Steve and other travel websites also have podcasts for foreign cities (many of them free) and you can download them to your ipod and listen on the plane or in the city. He has several walking tours of Venice http://www.ricksteves.com/news/travelnews/0602/italy_downloads.htm for free download. Just do a search for those related to Barcelona as Rick Steves doesn't have Barcelona on his website.

I spent 4 days in Barcelona last year and loved it, however, please be sure that you have some kind of hidden travel wallet as pickpockets are rampant especially on Las Ramblas. I stayed in the Atrium Palace Hotel which is centrally located and is a good value. Enjoy

I can't answer for Venice, but I loved Barcelona.

We stayed at the Silken Gran Hotel Havana when were were there in 2004. The rooms at the hotel were large enough for 3 people (this may make it possible to only need 2 rooms for your group of 6...depending on the group of course). The price of our room included an all you can eat breakfast with fantastic food....a great start to the day.

The Hotel was located within a few blocks of 2 Metro Stops. Public Transportation is easy in Barcelona. We traveled on our own the whole time, using the Metro and trains.

Barcelona is wonderful. Have a great trip.

• 7 months later...

Want a 'reasonable cost' way of getting from the airport to our hotel just outside the Realto Bridge - that is stress free or 'somewhat' stress free. Any suggestions? thank you. Marc

For your Venice pre cruise look at Mestre. It will be much cheaper if cost is a criteria. It is a short train ride into Venice (all trains to and from Venice stop in Mestre). You also do not need to schlep baggage on a crowded vaporetto or pay for an expensive water taxi.

It is also convenient to the airport. We stayed right across the street from the train station.

mestre-marghera.gif

Here is one more vote for Locanda Orseola. We stayed there for 2 nights in October, 2010 and it is charming. The location is excellent, the staff is kind, helpful and omnipresent without being imposing. The entry into the hotel through 'the window' is a real treat and my husband and I still smile when we look back upon such an unexpected entrance. The breakfasts are wonderful too.

We had a room that looked over the canal where each day there was a caravan of gondolas going by with one of the singers on the gondola singing a catchy tune -- Ciao, Venezia. Wonderful, wonderful time; happy memories and a hope to be able to repeat the experience again. Until then, "ciao, Venezia!"

Here's yet another one for Locanda Orseola! We were there is 2006, so it is great to hear that it is still getting these great reviews!

Here is one more vote for Locanda Orseola. We stayed there for 2 nights in October, 2010 and it is charming. The location is excellent, the staff is kind, helpful and omnipresent without being imposing. The entry into the hotel through 'the window' is a real treat and my husband and I still smile when we look back upon such an unexpected entrance. The breakfasts are wonderful too.

We had a room that looked over the canal where each day there was a caravan of gondolas going by with one of the singers on the gondola singing a catchy tune -- Ciao, Venezia. Wonderful, wonderful time; happy memories and a hope to be able to repeat the experience again. Until then, "ciao, Venezia!"

This may be helpful. I've posted a travel guide for Venice area on my comcast site. It has a set of maps, photos, sources of information, etc. including:

• How to get to your hotel, a ship, the airport or train station with heavy luggage.
  • Information on boat transfers from Marco Polo Airport to Venice hotels.
  • Photos, maps, and a description of the People Mover which became operational late in 2010.
  • A detailed review of the new Actv website on Vaporetto (public water bus) routes, times, etc.
  • Information on the new Venice Connected Card which replaces the former Venice Card.
  • Tips on how to find the Vaporetto boat stops nearest your hotel or travel destination.
  • Details on how to create your own custom maps for travel in Venice.

You can read, print, or save/download it from this link: http://home.comcast.net/~Thomas_Sheridan/VeniceTravelTips2-21-2011.pdf

When viewing the file, click on File Save As to save it to your computer. It's a small pdf file which you can attach to emails.

I wish you a great vacation in Venice,

TeddyBearsDad (Teddy Bear is my golden retriever)

Thank you very much for this excellent advise for Venice. I will be on the Voayager 8/27 and have some pre and post days in Venice. This information will be invaluable. Thanks again :)

We stayed at a hotel in Barcelona which was very close to the HOHO bus, and also close to the public bus that can be taken directly to the airport if you have a need for that. We had to walk 1 block to the stop with our heavy luggage but it wasn't so bad.

I did, however, have a not so wonderful experience at the hotel due to a non-functioning air conditioner that night, but I don't suppose you'd run into that issue necessarily. We booked their best room as well. The hotel was Catalonia Albinoni located on Portal de l'Àngel, 17. 08002 Barcelona. They did end up refunding me 1/2 my room price for my inconvenience, though I did only get that after returning to the states and sending a few emails to their manager.

Barcelona is a great city, and I hope to one day return! So much i didn't see in the day and a half we had there.

This is the first time I've ever posted on Cruise Critic - I always find great information from the members of CC, so I'm hoping you can help me.

We're booked on Ruby Princess Aug 21 Venice to Barcelona. We're planning on spending 2 days pre-cruise in Venice and 2 days post-cruise in Barcelona. I'd appreciate any tips/recommendations for hotels anyone has for either location. There are 6 of us, so we'd need 3 rooms. Will we need to hire a travel guide to take us around the city(ies) since we only speak English? Or will we be able to figure out the transit system? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. Lorrie

I'll post to the Barcelona hotel (Jazz). We (19 y/o niece and I) stayed in Jazz Hotel. Loved it. We loved that it was close enough to the action, yet far enough away to avoid noise. Niece's usual breakfast (on college campus) is grabbing something from Starbucks on the way to class. She loved that there was one very nearby. Also loved our Venice hotel as well (in St Mark's Square) but it did require crossing a few canals/bridges. So if that's a concern, definitely use one of the hotels suggested that avoid that. Otherwise, realize that there are a lots of steps, bridges to cross in Venice (and no ramps so you would literally be bouncing your luggage up and down steps and over bridges)!

In both cities, (Barcelona,Venice), we found that we were able to do much of it on our own. Barcelona was a lot of walking around, cabs and Metro while Venice it was best to just walk, get lost in all the back alleyways. Language barrier was not a problem in the actual city center of either port. If your intent is to use a tour guide to take you to some tourist spots, then yes, I'd request one that speaks english but we did these two cities all on our own.

Loved the cruise but realize that 10 ports in 12 days is totally totally exhausting. Start a month out walking, walking and more walking! In Florence, Rome and Naples you can be up at 5, meeting the tour at 7 and not return till 6:30pm - making for almost a 12 hour day since Rome and Florence require 1.5 hour drive to get to the city where all the tourist sites are located.

Have fun, you'll love it. We'd do it again in a heartbeat.

This is the first time I've ever posted on Cruise Critic - I always find great information from the members of CC, so I'm hoping you can help me.

We're booked on Ruby Princess Aug 21 Venice to Barcelona. We're planning on spending 2 days pre-cruise in Venice and 2 days post-cruise in Barcelona. I'd appreciate any tips/recommendations for hotels anyone has for either location. There are 6 of us, so we'd need 3 rooms. Will we need to hire a travel guide to take us around the city(ies) since we only speak English? Or will we be able to figure out the transit system? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. Lorrie

Barcelona is my favorite place...ever! We stayed at the Barcelona Hilton and it was beautiful, right on the sea and conveniently located.

The city of Barcelona is relatively small. We opted to take the hop on hop off bus and it got us everywhere. Don't worry about not having a car.

You will have no trouble speaking only English there.

Don't miss the Monserrat Monestary tour...but I think it's closed on Mondays.

Don't miss Guell Park or La Sagrada Famiglia. There is also a nice replica of old Catalonia on the hill, overlooking the city, that was cool. (The bus will take you there.)

You're going to want to come back. Have a great time.

This may be helpful. I've posted a travel guide for Venice area on my comcast site. It has a set of maps, photos, sources of information, etc. including:

• How to get to your hotel, a ship, the airport or train station with heavy luggage.
  • Photos, maps, and a description of the People Mover which became operational late in 2010.
  • A detailed review of the new Actv website on Vaporetto (public water bus) routes, times, etc.
  • Information on the new Venice Connected Card which replaces the former Venice Card.
  • Tips on how to find the Vaporetto boat stops nearest your hotel or travel destination.

You can read, print, or save/download it from this link: http://home.comcast.net/~Thomas_Sheridan/VeniceTravelTips2-21-2011.pdf

When viewing the file, click on File Save As to save it to your computer. It's a small pdf file which you can attach to emails.

Through a recent thread about Venice info, the link to your PDF file was posted. What a great source of updated info for anyone cruising Venice...grazie mille!

I clicked on the link to your Halifax info but unfortunately it's expired since you posted it in September. :o

• 2 weeks later...

What a wonderful link, Teddybearsdad, thanks so much! We'll be in Venice for 3 days pre and 3 days post cruise...can't wait!

Barcelona..we stayed at the Hotel Regina. Right at the top of the main drag, Las Ramblas, quiet, little balcony that overlooked a cute street, half a block from a nice square, big room for three of us, huge bathroom, don't remember price but it was very good...would stay again in a minute.

Teddybearsdad, you are a life saver. Thank you. I will be in Venice in 4 weeks for a 2 day pre cruise and I have not planned anything. I just fractured my wrist and I'm in a cast as well to slow me down. With your pdf it tells me everything I need. Thanks again!!! Now to find something for Athens and I'll be all set!

I have stayed at the H10 Raco del Pi hotel in Barcelona. It is close to everything and the breakfast is great.

When you arrive they give you a glass of champagne also.

Good reviews on Trip Advisor, that is where I found it.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Tom (aka Teddybearsdad) for great mini guide.

One question regarding the ship shuttle ($15) that you mentioned.

Since we're in port over night in Venice at the end of a cruise, does anyone know if this might be an option to get some luggage to St. Marco sq and, to the hotel, a day before, to avoid toting it overland. ant thoughts appreciated.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Thanks Tom (aka Teddybearsdad) for great mini guide.

One question regarding the ship shuttle ($15) that you mentioned.

Since we're in port over night in Venice at the end of a cruise, does anyone know if this might be an option to get some luggage to St. Marco sq and, to the hotel, a day before, to avoid toting it overland. ant thoughts appreciated.

In Venice I would stay around Piazzle Roma. It will make it so much easier. There is the Santa Chiara and Ca Doge right there. They would be the best pics. If you are flying into Venice there is a public bus that drops off at Piazzle Roma Its easy to use 3 Euros per person and you pay the driver. Luggage is stored under the bus and no tipping is allowed. Its a deal.

If you want a guide there are lots of tours available. Just do a search of tours in Venice and there will be lots of them. Venice is a museum all to itself and it is fun just to ramble along the streets, especially in the early morning and late afternoon when all the day-trippers are gone. I especially loved Burano, the lace making island. Don't bother with Murano. If you want to see free glass blowing, there is a store in St. Mark's square that gives free demonstrations and does not do the high pressure sales pitch.

In Barcelona, I really didn't care for La Ramblas. It isn't the prettiest part of the city like I imagined it would be. We stayed at the Hotel Arts near the port and there is a hop-on-hop-off bus stop there, which was really great. I loved circumnavigating the city. I highly recommend this hotel and HOHO bus.

I have been to both cities within the past 9 months, and both are wonderful.

You have received a lot of great advise, but most people have you staying in the Hilton or a moderately expensive hotel. I don't know what you are looking for, but a good three star seems to work for me. Both in Venice and Barcelona, I found a great three star hotel substantially lower than the hotels recommended.

Check out the Venere website, which has hotels all over Europe. It is reliable and you can read the reviews of people that stayed there. I suggest that you study the two cities, look at maps showing the sites, transport systems and decide where you want to stay, but be flexible.

Venice will cost more than Barcelona, but our hotel there cost about 80Euro, and our Barcelona hotel about 68Euro per night. The Barcelona hotel was near the Diagonal Metro stop, with many great restaurants around and about one mile from the Playa Catalyana. The Metro is great in Barcelona. As for Venice, we found a hotel a quarter of a mile from the train station, which required dragging baggage some distance, but saving on an expensive water taxi.

I don't recommend staying in Mestre, since you will miss staying in Venice itself. That is just my preference. If you want to save $$$ get a Rick Steves guide and do Venice yourself, or in the alternative take a tour at first. The Doges' Palace, Bell Tower and St. Marks are a must in my opinion, and the lines can back up. A tour will expedite your time. There are other sites and museums as well.

Barcelona has many great sites, but don't miss the Bari Gothic area, Las Ramblas Sagrada Familia, Parc Guell, Picasso Museum and city museum in the Gothic area. Also, you might want to see the Olympic village and Fortress on the Mountian overlooking the port (not a big deal, but if you have time). There are many museums, check out Rick Steves.

Be sure to find a good Catalonian restaurant and eat a late dinner, afer 8 PM like the locals (of course they eat at 10PM). The food is great there.

We stayed at the Barcelona Hilton and it was beautiful, right on the sea and conveniently located.

The city of Barcelona is relatively small. We opted to take the hop on hop off bus and it got us everywhere. Don't worry about not having a car.

Chixsngr, was this the Hilton Diagonal Mar? If so, how close was the Ho Ho bus stop to the hotel?

Archived