Caution needed at Labadee's Barefoot Beach

trawnapal

Encounters with sea urchins can be very painful and worsen as the days go along making it almost impossible to walk. I know.

When it happened to us, a scuba diver told us of a little trick to remove the barb. WARNING: trick is a little disgusting. If somebody pees on it, it'll back out far enough that you can grab it and pull it out. Now, that sounds pretty straight forward...but the pee-er has to focus so as to not spray the pee-ee. If he or she is laughing while they are performing this necessary function, you can end up with a soaked leg, a wet bathroom floor, and a deflated dignity. But the dang barb does come out.

Lesson? Wear water shoes or travel with a very, VERY serious person who does not see the humor in such a situation.

OMG I am dying laughing here! Thanks for the image! :D

We just returned from a 10 day cruise on Royal Caribbean's Jewel of the Seas. The first stop was Labadee, Haiti where my wife injured her foot on sea urchins in the shallow water of Barefoot Beach. It ruined the holiday for her - our first cruise. There were no ropes marking off the area in which rocks and sea urchins were located, no staff were at the beach warning people to be cautious and nothing was mentioned about this in the daily news sheet. Staff at the beach who first treated her said she was the sixth or seventh individual who had had encountered similar problems that morning. So be VERY CAUTIOUS if entering the water there. Never go barefoot into the waters of Barefoot Beach. :(

I will going to Labadee in just a few weeks. Thanks for the warning. Will get myself and DH a pair of water shoes ASAP.

i don't think that people were calling the OP negligent....but honestly.....it wasn't the urchin's fault that someone stepped on it. I find it odd that people come here to research the cruise, from does anyone have pictures of my cabin, to the menus, and if it is really worth it to dine at Portofino, not do the same research on their destinations. There have been many threads on here about including shore/water shoes....check out the shoe thread! What I commented on was the implication that the cruise line SHOULD have warned the OP in someway. Is it terrible that the OP stepped on the urchin???? Yes for them and the poor urchin.....i'm sure that ruined there stay at barefoot bay as well. It is one thing to post a warning about a bad experience....it is another to suggest that the cruise line did not do their job by alerting passengers about the evil urchins, or what ever may be in the water.

Well if the cruise employee told OP 6-7 people had already stepped on sea urchins, yes, there should be signs warning people about them.

People do research their destinations but honestly, I would never think to research 'hidden ocean dangers'. If there was something to be warned about on a cruiseline's PRIVATE BEACH I would expect them to warn me.

And the threads on water shoes usually pertain to broken sea glass and rocky areas, not stinging wildlife. I really am glad this was posted because I learned something new.

Well if the cruise employee told OP 6-7 people had already stepped on sea urchins, yes, there should be signs warning people about them.

People do research their destinations but honestly, I would never think to research 'hidden ocean dangers'. If there was something to be warned about on a cruiseline's PRIVATE BEACH I would expect them to warn me.

And the threads on water shoes usually pertain to broken sea glass and rocky areas, not stinging wildlife. I really am glad this was posted because I learned something new.

the urchins are animals and move.....one day there, next they are gone. How is a cruise line supposed to know, private island or not, which wildlife is at that particular site, and warn people through signage, or the compass. I have friends that won't get into the water at the beach because she said "things" live there. Warnings are wonderful, and I am glad that people have been warned.....i am just saying that it is not the cruise ships job to say...hey you...see that spiky black thing down on the sand in the water?????? Don't step on it.

the urchins are animals and move.....one day there, next they are gone. How is a cruise line supposed to know, private island or not, which wildlife is at that particular site, and warn people through signage, or the compass. I have friends that won't get into the water at the beach because she said "things" live there. Warnings are wonderful, and I am glad that people have been warned.....i am just saying that it is not the cruise ships job to say...hey you...see that spiky black thing down on the sand in the water?????? Don't step on it.

I feel for the op because I know how badly a sea urchin sting feels. But I have to agree with your post. The ocean is the ocean. Today it's sea urchins, tomorrow it will be jellyfish, and the next day it will be the freakish Great Whites that are starting to appear down here.

Anywho, thanks op for the heads up. I'm sure it will raise a little awareness in people who don't normally think of these things.

If only everyone knew what all was actually swimming around them! ;)

At one beach in Florida we went to there was a sign advising people to shuffle their feet while walking in the surf due to hidden sting rays. If sea urchins are common in the area, which happens to also be a private beach, I think they should put a sign up advising people of that fact.

"Things live in the ocean" is not specific enough in this particular case.

We were told about using urine to remove sea urchin spines many years ago on one of Spains islands,our young daughter was the beneficiary , but it was easier to put it in a container then dip the sole of the foot in! than try to do it any other way :rolleyes:

I don't think the OP is blaming RCI. He's warning others to be careful in that area. If his wife was the 6th or 7th person injured, then the area should have been roped off or a staff member should have been in the area warning others.

Can't rope of the ocean. That's where sea urchins live.

Do you all think that these shoes are protective enough?

I actually wear thick hard-soled sandals constructed entirely of man-made material. They are not that expensive but I feel they provide better protection on coral rock surfaces and from things like urchins. They are also suitable for general use.

If the Labadee resort was in the US or Canada then the cruise line would have one or more people inspect the beaches each morning, posting signs where they found potential dangers. If they didn't they would be sued out of existence. Given the cost of labor in Haiti It baffles me that this isn't done in Labadee. Heck, what would it cost $10 / day?

If the Labadee resort was in the US or Canada then the cruise line would have one or more people inspect the beaches each morning, posting signs where they found potential dangers. If they didn't they would be sued out of existence. Given the cost of labor in Haiti It baffles me that this isn't done in Labadee. Heck, what would it cost $10 / day?

Sued over sea life? I really think this is a bit of a stretch.

I have been to Labadee twice and have seen signs at all the beaches warning guests to enter the water at their own risk. Signs say that sea urchins, jelly fish and barracuda inhabit the waters. Maybe those signs have been removed now?

"Snorkeling was offered at just about every port, so our grandson tried this sport out at Labadee. This location also had parasailing and jetskis available.

Although we planted ourselves on the first beach, a water playground for kids was located further up the shore which looked like it would have been alot of fun.

After the BBQ, we discovered a surfing beach with a large sign announcing the possible appearance of sharks, barracutas, jellyfish, sea urchins and other creatures (picture 2). No, don't think so! Since calmer seas appealed to us, we returned to our original beach."

Encounters with sea urchins can be very painful and worsen as the days go along making it almost impossible to walk. I know.

When it happened to us, a scuba diver told us of a little trick to remove the barb. WARNING: trick is a little disgusting. If somebody pees on it, it'll back out far enough that you can grab it and pull it out. Now, that sounds pretty straight forward...but the pee-er has to focus so as to not spray the pee-ee. If he or she is laughing while they are performing this necessary function, you can end up with a soaked leg, a wet bathroom floor, and a deflated dignity. But the dang barb does come out.

Lesson? Wear water shoes or travel with a very, VERY serious person who does not see the humor in such a situation.

OMG...that is the best advise I have read on these boards...LOL Hubby was just telling me about someone we know many years ago stepping on a sea urchin on her Honeymoon. The locals told her to have her new husband pee on it but she chose to use lemon juice.

The visuals are just too gross!!!!:eek:

I think the whole peeing thing is an urban legend. I was stung on my ankle by a jellyfish a few years ago. I climbed on to my boat, untied my trunks, and dowsed my ankle in urine. It did absolutely nothing. I was later told by a nurse friend of mine that it was a myth.

However, the look on DW's face was priceless! :D

OMG I've been reading these boards about Labadee and never saw anything about sea urchins--I wouldn't know what one looked like if it was right in front of me. I was concerned about cuts from rocks or coral but now know that I'll be wearing some kind of water shoes if I go in the water at all.

I've been to Coco Cay and Disney's private island and never needed water shoes so they weren't even on my radar.

Thanks to the OP for bringing this up.

I think the whole peeing thing is an urban legend. I was stung on my ankle by a jellyfish . . .

Sea urchin spines are likely different than jelly fish stings. Not saying that you aren't right about the urban legend thing though.

OMG I've been reading these boards about Labadee and never saw anything about sea urchins--I wouldn't know what one looked like if it was right in front of me. I was concerned about cuts from rocks or coral but now know that I'll be wearing some kind of water shoes if I go in the water at all.

I've been to Coco Cay and Disney's private island and never needed water shoes so they weren't even on my radar.

Thanks to the OP for bringing this up.

a13fig01.jpg

Sea urchins and other sea dwelling critters aren't bound by roped off areas, signage or any other manmade item.

When you choose to enter the sea, you are at the mercy of that sea and all life in it.

Mommy shouldn't have to tell you to "watch out"unless you are under 18...

Don't blame the cruise line. Either watch where you are going and wear water shoes.....or stay out of the water,

We have been going to the Caribbean since 1972 and have never had problems as the hotels or cottages we stayed at either marked off the beaches or explained to guests the condition of the beach. As this was a private beach owned by RCI, one assumes the beach conditions would be monitored closely and guests alerted to any infestations. We are independent travellers and aware, despite suggestions here to the contrary. As someone mentioned, there were several others that day who had problems. This was our first cruise and we simply thought that a private cruise line property would be similar to that of a hotel. Guess we learned a lesson, that that is not the case. After the fact we too heard of the peeing remedy!! Also a piece of sword fish!

that's the same as trying to sue disney over a bee sting, i would hope that any judge would throw it out and tell the people to get a bit of common sense.

It really stinks that the OP's wife had such a bad experience, but I have to agree with all the "evil, horrible, sarcastic meanies" here.

It's the ocean... things live there. Some of those things bite, sting or eat you. What sort of nanny state do people want to live in where they have to have a sign for everything that could possibly happen? Sea urchins are mobile and they live in the ocean. I don't understand the "someone else is at fault" mentality. No one is at fault. She accidentally stepped on a creature in it's natural habitat. That stinks.

Oh, my, I would have hated for something like that to happen!

We were just at Labadee on Monday this week; our first time there. We were over on Dragon's Head beach and it was very rocky there. We had lounges right by a sign that indicated "swim at your own risk" clearly for the entire beach, and said "no swimming" in that particular area. There was a female cruise passenger intent on swimming there who had quite a "discussion" with a Haitian RCCL staff; the staff finally won out. The cruiser's position was that it says "swim at your own risk" and she was aware of that; the staff position was that the sign says "no swimming" in that area. I'm sure for RCCL it can be a no-win situation trying to balance warnings with freedoms for people to swim where they want.

Archived