Legend or Dream?

wuzzled

It sounds like a crazy question, I know. But the itinerary is the same. One leaves Saturday, one leaves Sunday. Is the Dream worth the extra $200?

Spirit class is a wonderful class of ship. Dream is the newest in the fleet. Who can decide but you if that is worth $200. What kind of room do you want? Is there something that the Dream offers that is not on the Legend that entices you?

If it's only 200 total, I might check out the Dream; but if your talking 400 extra for the cabin; go with the Legend; nice ship with virtually everything that the Dream offers except no canti-levered hot tub over the ocean, and no Big Screen by the pool (but also less people to contend with)..

You will have a great time on both but the newer ship is not worth 400 bucks extra; but I have only been on the Legend, others may differ.

Mitch

jimbo--That's what I'm trying to find. I can't come up with much that is worth the difference, but I thought I might be missing something. (My husband's answer was "burrito bar!")

mtchg--I think you're probably right. It's 200pp. New ship would be fun, though. :-)

And slight correction--The itineraries aren't completely identical. The Dream goes to Costa Maya instead of Cozumel. So maybe we need to read a bit about Costa Maya. We've done Cozumel a few times.

I just had a friend get back from the dream said there was to many people. Had to wait for seating in anytime dinning every night and the pools were really full during the day. We were on the legend this past Oct and it was great never had any problems and not to mention Tampa is a great port to leave out of only one ship at a time in port and very easy to get to!!

Legend has a great layout and is just the right size. The only thing you will need to get used to is the decor. You need to really really really like urns. They are everywhere and part of everything. The only place you will not find them is in your cabin.

I've been on the Pride and the Spirit and love that class of ship, so I'm dying to get on the Legend, whatever the decor. That said, I've been to both Cozumel (several times, actually) and Costa Maya (once). If you're not concerned with the size of the ship or the extra cost, then I think Costa Maya should be your tie-breaker. We enjoyed it very much. Whichever ship you choose, I'm sure you'll have a great cruise!:)

jimbo--That's what I'm trying to find. I can't come up with much that is worth the difference, but I thought I might be missing something. (My husband's answer was "burrito bar!")

mtchg--I think you're probably right. It's 200pp. New ship would be fun, though. :-)

And slight correction--The itineraries aren't completely identical. The Dream goes to Costa Maya instead of Cozumel. So maybe we need to read a bit about Costa Maya. We've done Cozumel a few times.

Burrito bar is great, we were on the Dream for the naming ceremony in November and loved it (also loved it on the Splendor last year as well). I am sure there will be more people on the Dream than the Legend, but that would not dis-suede me from sailing on her. As I said prior, I love the Spirit class, you won't find me knocking it at all. The decor on the Dream is significantly toned down in the public areas and I love the 5th floor layout. Costa Maya is one of our favorite stops, very relaxing (you can just walk off the ship and relax). LOL, so I am all over the place and probably have not helped at all.

I just had a friend get back from the dream said there was to many people. Had to wait for seating in anytime dinning every night and the pools were really full during the day. We were on the legend this past Oct and it was great never had any problems and not to mention Tampa is a great port to leave out of only one ship at a time in port and very easy to get to!!

I just returned from the Dream - only had to wait once for Anytime Dining, the aft pool was always empty and didn't notice there were 4000+ people sailing with me.

My point being, no one can tell you what is worth the extra $200. If you want to check out the new ship, then spend the extra. If you can use the $200 to do a fun excursion on the Legend, then try that.

No matter what you decide to do, have a great time!!!

We sailed Legend this past April. 6 of us in 2 Cat-11 cabins (one an aft-wrap) and LOVED the ship and the itenerary.

All 6 of us are sailing on the Dream this coming April so hopefully when we get back we can provide some direct comparison.

The Legend with a two person per stateroom capacity is roughly 2600 people. At 86,000 grt that gives a space ratio of 32 tons per person.

The Dream with two person per stateroom capacity is about 3,700 people. At 128,000 grt that gives a space ratio of 34.5 tons per person.

The Dream and Legend should feel about the same as far as crowds during the day when people are dispersed. Maybe at night when a show is getting out, and everyone is leaving at once, the Dream will be more crowded.

A Bigger ship feels bigger too, especially when in a dinning room that spans the width of the ship.

I am partial to big ships, so my view is slanted anyway!

Spirit class is a wonderful class of ship. Dream is the newest in the fleet. Who can decide but you if that is worth $200. What kind of room do you want? Is there something that the Dream offers that is not on the Legend that entices you?

We've been on both and given the price difference, we vote THE LEGEND!

Dear Devoted:

I just got off the Carnival Dream. It is a beautiful ship. Apparently there were over 400 hundred children on our sailing. I say apparently because you rarely saw them. Camp Carnival seems to be a huge hit with the kids and keeps them very occupied.

I have also cruised Royal previously which I also enjoyed. I do have to say for the price difference between Royal & Carnival, I will probably chose Carnival next time.

It sounds like you are getting for the most part helpful info. No is being too mean. Other things to consider would be how are you getting to the ship? I didn't notice and you didn't say. Are you equal driving distances from each? I would consider the different rate for parking at each location.

I have heard the Burrito bar is great. We are looking forward to the Pasta "bar" option. Our last two sailings have been Fantasy class so we are looking forward to the big ship. And NEW!

Also, just because there is only a $200 difference - there is the costs involved with each port. Think about what you would do in each port and how much you would spend. Also, can you get the same catagory cabin on each ship. Sometimes, do to limited numbers, catagories sell out.

We have been to Costa Maya - prior to rebuild from hurricane - so we are eager to get back there BUT there is not much there. There is an excursion to see the Mayan ruins. If you have been to Chicheniza (spelling wrong) then the ruins at Costa Maya can be skipped. They are fun but not as good as others. Good trip if you haven't seen some.

Also, having Sunday at home before heading back to work is nice.

Sounds like either one will be great. Next time pick the other. (And the Dream alternates each week to Eastern so there is that to consider).

Absolutely loved the Legend! Favorite ship to date.....but sailing on the Dream in October :D

A new ship is always fun but Costa Maya was the tipping point. We were there before the hurricane blew it off the map and are excited to go back.

We were scheduled to go there last November on the Fantasy, but NON-hurricane Ida canceled that plan :mad: our 6 day cruise became 5 days and Costa Maya was canceled.

Had an awesome cruise anyway and are hoping for better luck this year.

The Dream, when 2 people are in a cabin, carries 3,646 passengers. At 130,000 G.R.T. that gives each passenger 35.65 space ratio. Now, the Legend, based on double occupancy carries 2,124 passengers. It is 88,500 G.R.T. That gives you a 41.67 space ratio. Bottom line? On the Legend, expect less lines, less crowding, and a more "intimate" feel. An RCI equivelant would probably a Radiance class vessel to a Voyager class vessel.

Archived