UK-v US..the differences in culture?

Johnthed0g

It has become interesting, but some cruising differences please.....

Ok not cruise related but a nautical theme at least.

Buoy, if I have been listening right, we say 'boy' but appears to be pronounced 'boo-ee' over the pond

JTD, you have certainly got more replies on the Celebrity forum than you have over on P&O, despite their new cruise community forum being a dog of a system Could you be related?.:D

Anyway back on topic, I am looking forward to our Southampton based cruise on Eclipse, it will be interesting to see if the Brits outnumber North Amercians, and whether that changes the feel of the cruise. Currently the roll call is heavily weighted towards Brits.

So far all my American based ship cruises have had a majority of North Americans, although our last one, a full Panama transit on the Coral Princess did have 500 Brits, 25% of the ship. The one noticeable difference was that we Brits lost our usual novelty value with the Americans.

I hope this does not lead X to consider putting Americans together in the MDR, I do enjoy the banter that a mix of nationalities generates over dinner.

JTD, you have certainly got more replies on the Celebrity forum than you have over on P&O, despite their new cruise community forum being a dog of a system Could you be related?.:D

I reckon that must say something! dunno what, but I have theories...... I was "put to sleep'' over there.

I think the Eclipse will be mostly Brits somehow.

Personally I just hope the don't tailor the Eclipse too much for the UK taste. It will be my first taste of an American cruise line and I'm hoping that there will be an American feel to the experience and a multi-national clientele.

This is why I started the thread about the differences, to prepare people.

Oh..I don't mind differences, rather looking forward to them, enjoyed it on ''Connie'' last time, far superior product. By posting this I hope to let others see what to expect, you can imagine some of the dyed in the wool P&O'ers, you know the type I mean, moaning about this or that, particularly tipping I suspect.

I reckon that must say something! dunno what, but I have theories...... I was "put to sleep'' over there.

I think the Eclipse will be mostly Brits somehow.

There's another one!

When I watch BBC America, I'm always surprised how often Brits use the term "I reckon" in everyday speech. Over here, its mostly Cowboys (or actors playing Cowboys) who say that.......and maybe a few southerners. It's almost a Old West stereotype.

BTW, in the Chesapeake-Tidewater area of Maryland and Virginia, we have a few islands (Smith and Tangier) where the locals speak an Elizabethan and/or Scottish form of English which is believed to have originated with the original colonists. These islands are very isolated, but I'm sure satellite TV will do away with the accent soon enough.

Rich

We go to the sea-side' date=' I believe our US buddies go to the shore... ok, not cruise related but maybe a little bit nautical;)

Sue[/size']

In New Jersey, they go to the shore.

In Washington, DC, they go to the beach.

In Bawlmer, Merlin (Baltimore, Maryland) they go "downey oshun, hon" (down the ocean, my dear).

Linda

And thanks for YOUR tip. I was not aware of this service. The current rate you mention is very good. I shall have to think about what currency we need for our next cruise.

Can you tell me if you have to pay for the currency up front or just pre-order it? Thanks.

Sue

Sue, the trade off is that you pay up front when you place your order, but I personally think that with the terrible savings interest rates we are currently getting I can forsake the miserly interest for the better exchange rate...

I have been using them for 4yrs now, so can vouch for them.

Linda :)

Where I am from, it's the beach too. But I've heard people from eastern washington calling seattle "the coast." It really isn't, not like we are at ocean shores & can see the pacific.

We live on the coast. We go down to the beach.

Even if you live 15 kilometres inland, you still live "on the coast".

If you live "on the ocean" you have waterfront, but not necessarily beach.

Please don't ever remove Eggs Benedict from the US cruise-ships that sail out of the UK. When I get on a US cruise ship I feel I have gone abroad (to the US).:D And that's abig part of the appeal of cruising on non-British ships - meeting non-British people and making life-long friends.

Linda

Please don't ever remove Eggs Benedict from the US cruise-ships that sail out of the UK. When I get on a US cruise ship I feel I have gone abroad (to the US).:D And that's abig part of the appeal of cruising on non-British ships - meeting non-British people and making life-long friends.

Linda

When I go to Europe or any other country I try to eat their food. Heck, I can have American food anytime. My wife and I spent two days in London trying to buy real fish and chips without any luck. We ended up eating in an Italian restaurant in London(only thing open) and a McDonald's in Windsor(Sunday, nothing open). So so sad. I can find Italian food on any street corner in my hometown. Thank God you do have great tea. Hope we meet some Brits on our cruise.

We live on the coast. We go down to the beach.

Even if you live 15 kilometres inland, you still live "on the coast".

If you live "on the ocean" you have waterfront, but not necessarily beach.

Seattle is on the west coast, but it's more like 150 miles inland, not 15km.

In Florida it is the beach. If you live on the ocean it is ocean front or a beach house ( but a beach house can also be in an area close to the beach, not necessarily waterfront) and here in North Florida, which is pretty southern, we don't usually say "reckon". we do say y'all ( you all) and sometimes "Hey" instead of hi. Also we eat grits, which is corn meal mush for breakfast and sometimes with other meals. Also known as polenta but it seems different somehow than polenta. We also drink "sweet tea" which is a very sugary iced tea. If you ask for ice tea here, you will get sweet tea, unless you say unsweet tea. If you want hot tea, you need to ask for hot tea. If you just say tea, you will most times get sweet tea (iced).

Archived