UK-v US..the differences in culture?

Johnthed0g

I haven't sailed on a UK line yet but from looking at these boards and speaking to friends that have it appears drink prices are much more reasonable compared to RCI & CC anyway.

How about baked beans with breakfast

Baked beans? Used to like them, but too sweet now.

Pinto beans are very good, always on the breakfast plate in Mexico.

Don't be fooled, richsea. Canadians call "Canadian bacon" ham. Our bacon is no different than what your version of bacon in the US is. The term 'Canadian bacon', I think, must just be for the amusement of non-Canadians.

We also only say "eh" for the amusement of our American friends as well.... ;) :D[/quote

They mark the price up higher than bacon or ham.:(

Sue, the trade off is that you pay up front when you place your order, but I personally think that with the terrible savings interest rates we are currently getting I can forsake the miserly interest for the better exchange rate...

I have been using them for 4yrs now, so can vouch for them.

Linda :)

Linda

Thought you may have to but, as you said, worth it at the moment. Thanks for getting back to me on this. Nearly lost it in all the chatter!

Sue

• 1 month later...

A tip when talking to someone from the UK

Question, Where are you from

Answer, Leeds in the UK

Don't be tempted to say 'Is that near London'.

This always gives us Brits the best laugh.

Answer, Leeds in the UK

The best laugh I had was when I told someone I was from Wales. He replied - My grandfather was from Wales, he lived by the Post Office!

On the knife and fork subject. We were always taught that leaving your knife and fork at 6.30 meant you were satisfied with your meal. Leaving your knife and fork at 4.20 meant you were not satisfied!

Living in Scotland I've been asked things like:

Do you have electricity in Scotland? :eek:

Do you have trees in Scotland?

Do you have horses in Scotland?

Are there bare knuckle fights in the streets of Glasgow everyday? :eek:

My aunt/uncle/cousin was from Scotland do you know them? (5 million people live here - let me think!)

There have also been assumptions that men ALWAYS wear the kilt (everyday!) :p

I'm going on the Eclipse soon and I am kinda hoping that I will meet a nice mix of folk from all over the world and not just the UK :)

This is why I started the thread about the differences, to prepare people.
Okay, you may cause quite a commotion at security if you mention that you are bringing a torch on board the ship, but nobody will mind in the slightest if you bring a flashlight or two.

Answer, Leeds in the UK

This is so true!!! Also, when we tell you that we live near London, please don't ask us if we have met Prince Charles....:p

This is so true!!! Also, when we tell you that we live near London, please don't ask us if we have met Prince Charles....:p

I guess we all have asked and been asked silly questions.Just goes to show we are more alike than different

:cj

• 2 weeks later...

4/5/10 in the states = April 5, 2010. In the Uk it is the 4, May, 2010.

A qustion about eating out: Often in the states my husband and I would share a starter (appetizer here), and then share an entree as we find it is to much for us to each have an entree. Is that acceptable in the UK? thanks deb

I don't know if this has been mentioned, I find the date recording very difficult, For example here in uk we use date/month/year. This is especially a problem on the roll calls. When is 4/5/10? 4th May or 5th April

The US Military uses Day/Month/Yr also. Very handy and makes more sense than Mon/day/Yr. For computer file designations that are time sensitive, I use the Yr/Mon/Day designation so they all line up properly - but that would confuse everybody!

Denny

Yesterday I spent 3 hours in THE hospital with my sister...True!!Next Monday we are going back to THE hospital for her results....And it is my English sister not my USA sister....(Not sure how she would phrase it these days after 20 years there)!!!!

Hope she's feeling better

A qustion about eating out: Often in the states my husband and I would share a starter (appetizer here), and then share an entree as we find it is too much for us to each have an entree. Is that acceptable in the UK? thanks deb

Deb

Traditionally, NO! Many places would have been judgemental and think that you were doing it on cost grounds! As life here becomes Americanised, it is becoming more acceptable to share a desert and, even, a starter but I cannot imagine a shared entree [main course] being seen as acceptable in too many places. Having said that, often a dish will be served as both a starter and a main and you could normally ask for two starters and no main, especially at lunch time. The best thing would be to ask when you enter the restaurant if it would be acceptable to choose what you want.

Sue

A qustion about eating out: Often in the states my husband and I would share a starter (appetizer here), and then share an entree as we find it is to much for us to each have an entree. Is that acceptable in the UK? thanks deb

I do this regularly now - but only since I have been travelling to the states on holiday (vacation). I think prior to that I would have accepted just about anything and not liked to "upset the apple cart".

You will find however the portions here considerably smaller than the ones that I have encountered in the US.

Also re the battered mars bars - I'm Scottish and never had one and never want to. Also what we call a mars bar is what you call a milky way, but with better chocolate.:D IMHO

Archived