Hlitner, Need Your Advice Per Favore

Maineac

Good day Hank,

I've been a lurker for years and have always found your knowledge extremely helpful......I would appreciate your advise in a few areas.

Our cruise ends in Venice. We're planning on renting a car at Piazzale Roma and driving to Bergamo, which will be our home base for 5 days.

If I understand correctly, Piazzale Rome is within walking distance from the port area.....Is this correct? If so, how far of a walk is it and is it doable with luggage?

Also, do you think it's necessary to reserve an auto before disembarkation day, which will be Saturday June 5th, or could we "wing it" ?

Grazie,

Judy

Are you interested in input from anyone else?

Edited to add:

Sorry, came back because I read my own post and it could come across pretty snotty, which is not what I intended.

But I was seriously asking, because if you truly are only interested in Hank's perspective, others won't waste your time (or their own) responding.

The walk will take 15-20min. depending on your speed. "Doable" depends on the amount/type of luggage you have.

I would always prebook a rental car in the USA so would do the same in Italy. I suppose the only reason a person would NOT book a car ahead of time is if they were not sure they would actually want one.Perhaps decide to stay in Venice a few days or decide to try the train instead?

As Riff said, it can be walked but it isn't a particularly pleasant walk with luggage. By June the new People Mover will be running from Tronchetto (the island next to the cruise ship terminal) to Piazzale Roma, but it is unclear if the cruise ship stop for the People Mover will be open by then. If it is, that will be the quickest, easiest and least expensive (1 Euro) way to get to Piazzale Roma.

I would reserve a car, but do it with a company that allows you to cancel the reservation without penalty.

I agree with the other posts. It is about a 15 min walk and if you can roll your luggage for that distance (there is an upslope getting over the bridge outside the port) you would be fine. As to car rentals, we have always saved significant money by reserving in advance from the states. For rentals of 3 or more days I strongly recommend checking out both autoeurope.com and kemwel.com. Both these companies are "consolidators" which means they get hefty discounts from both Europcar and Hertz. They happen to be sister companies with US offices in Maine (they have good web sites and toll free numbers) but they each negotiate their own contracts with the major rental car companies so it is important to check both sites and also pay attention to insurance deductables. If you have any questions or need help their folks at the toll free number are very good. They also have toll free numbers from all the European countries which is handy if you have a problem in Europe. You might actually be able to simply grab a land taxi from the port right to the rental car office....depending on the exact location of the rental car company. A land taxi would not be too expensive (should be no more than 15 Euros if you are a good negotiator).

Hank

"I strongly recommend checking out both autoeurope.com and kemwel.com. Both these companies are "consolidators" which means they get hefty discounts from both Europcar and Hertz. They happen to be sister companies with US offices in Maine (they have good web sites and toll free numbers) but they each negotiate their own contracts with the major rental car companies so it is important to check both sites and also pay attention to insurance deductables. If you have any questions or need help their folks at the toll free number are very good. They also have toll free numbers from all the European countries which is handy if you have a problem in Europe."

Hank,

Extremely helpful information, thank you.

Just a note, this is an uphill walk and a narrow sidewalk.

After a few margaritas, I do digress! Part of the walk is on an up slope (from port to the crest of the bridge) but than its a downslope. As to "narrow sidewalks" once you leave the port the sidewalks (on either side of the bridge) are more than enough wide for a few folks rolling luggage. But as I said in a prior post, this part of Venice is also accessible by using the reasonbly priced land taxis which are usually in queue at the port. If we were trying to get from ship to a rental car office we would grab a taxi just to save the effort and time. Do not confuse the land taxis (just regular cars) with the water taxis...which our very expensive.

Hank

Agree, a land taxi is the way to go.

Hank, thank you again for the Autoerope recommendation....I love the fact they are located in Maine.

Judy

I did notice your Maine location when I made the recommendation, but it was just a coincidence. As to Autoeurope and Kemwel, the last time I talked to them it was mentioned that they are actually owned by a very large European tour conglomerate although we are not sure who currently owns the company.

Hank

Archived