lockers miami port??? or day pass miami hotels?

dutchlove20

At the end of our cruise (April 3rd) we have from 8 am to 8 pm in miami before our flight. Any tips on where we can store our luggage for the day or even hotels at the beach that offer daypasses??? Any info is welcome. I looked into renting a car but the cheapest for the day was $130!

Post this on the Florida board?? (Its under east coast depatures, then look for the sticky for florida).

I lived in S. Florida and read a lot of threads and this question has been asked before and no one knew of a day hotel. ... the lack of "tips" here is probably because people dont have a good tip. ... without a car ... how are you going to get around to the airport and put your stuff in lockers? but with the new security, I cant see them still having lockers at airports any more. (I lived in the area for over 13 years before recently moving here).

lol I do know of a hotel on the beach by the hour .. hookers use it. Not very nice.

I would keep looking for a better price to rent a car. I cant imagine a cheaper alternative.

Edited by firefly333

No lockers at airports any more! Best post-cruise excursion is the Everglades tour. Nice A/C bus with bathroom and knowledgeable tour guide. Great airboat ride and lots to see. Luggage is safely locked in bus. You'll be taken directly back to either FLL or MIA airports by 1:30, though, which leaves you lots of time. Too early to check your luggage for an 8 pm flight. I say rent a car and go to a nice FLL public beach. Check other car-rental sites. I'm sure you can do better than $130.00! Unfortunately, you're cruising right smack in the muddle of (shudder) Spring Break, so prices will be high. Good luck!

No lockers at airports any more! Best post-cruise excursion is the Everglades tour. Nice A/C bus with bathroom and knowledgeable tour guide. Great airboat ride and lots to see. Luggage is safely locked in bus. You'll be taken directly back to either FLL or MIA airports by 1:30, though, which leaves you lots of time. Too early to check your luggage for an 8 pm flight. I say rent a car and go to a nice FLL public beach. Check other car-rental sites. I'm sure you can do better than $130.00! Unfortunately, you're cruising right smack in the muddle of (shudder) Spring Break, so prices will be high. Good luck!

I loved the airboat tours. I laughed and thought it was one of the most fun things I did, even though it is touristy, and I took my friend visiting from Hawaii on the airboat. they feel like they fly they go so fast and are so noisy.

• 2 weeks later...

Check Hotwire to rent a car. I found one for $34 per day plus tax and fees for a total of $54 from Ft Lauderdal Air Port returning to Miami Air Port. I am arriving the day before my cruise and wanted to see some of Miami. Hope this helps.

Thanks everyone for the Everglades tour advice. I am going to book it.--Louise

On our last Carnival cruise we used Luggage Express - for $20 carnival transported our bags to MIA and checked them in for the flight. We were free to explore Miami without luggage for the day, taxied to the airport, and caught our flight home without trouble. Best $20 I ever spent!

Without luggage you are free to explore south beach, although this will not help you freshen up after a day on the beach. Good luck!:)

ARe you staying somewhere precruise?? We are going the end of April and when checking precruise hotels i called one and asked if we could come back post cruise, just for the afternoon and hang out by the pool. They said no problem. I just hope when the time gets closer they still give me the same answer. As we will not get a "day room" they said they didn't have any problem with us using the restrooms to change clothes before heading to the airport.

If you don't get a car, I would suggest just to start calling hotels you are interested in and see if any would do a day rate.

There is a luggage storage facility at MIA - it is located in Central Terminal E, Level 2, open 5am till 11pm. Fees are by size of bag but are quite reasonable.

However, this really isn't much use as you must then get a cab to wherever you wish to hang out for the day and a cab back - not cheap. Unfortunately, I don't think Miami hotels do day rooms - I have researched this quite a bit as there is only one direct flight home to Bermuda from Miami and it is early evening so I am always stuck with this problem.

I either take a post cruise excursion, or give up and just go to MIA from the ship and get to know the airport really well ...

P.S. I have just remembered that there is a brand new (started in Jan) express bus from MIA to South Beach - http://www.miamidade.gov/transit/seri_route_updates.asp#150 - Route 150 - Airport-Beach Express (NEW) - A new express route will start service from the Miami International Airport Terminal to South Miami Beach via 41 Street and Collins Avenue with a stop at the Earlington Heights Station. This new route is being funded by a grant from the Federal Transit Administration. The Route 150 Express will make limited stops in Miami Beach at the following locations: 41 Street/Alton Road, 41 Street/ Sheridan, all stops on Collins and Indian Creek between 41 and 17 streets, Collins/17 Street, Collins/16 Street, Washington/Lincoln, 17 Street/Convention Center Drive, and 19 Street/Meridian.

The Route 150 will operate every 30 minutes from approximately 6:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m., seven days a week. The fare is @$2 or $2.35 each way.

This might be something to try!!

Edited by jollyjones
More info

The Raleigh Hotel offers day rates at the pool for $25 per person. I'm sure you can use the bathrooms in the spa/gym to freshen up afterwards and the bellman will hold your luggage.

Most hotels, if not full, will let you purchase either a day pass or a day room but you must call.

There is a hotel in the airport that has been renovated recently.

You will not find out day rates online or either central reservations #s. Your best bet is to contact the hotel directly and ask. I have read posts that say the hotel will offer a room at half the rack rate. But this is also based upon availability too. They may not have any rooms available at 9AM. I emailed the Mandarin Oriental in Miami as they have a gorgeous resort right by the water/beach with great facilities. They do not offer day rates, but in order to gaurantee a room available at 9AM they were willing to reserve a room for me for the night before and offer me a very late check out time of 5pm. The Ritz Carlton FLL also offered this to me. However, it was a regular room rate and as nice as it would be, I am not prepared to spend so much for a place to shower/nap/swim! I would rather rent a car now for the day and drive around town or even go outlet shopping! With the new Rental Car Center opening up this spring at the MIA, it will give you plenty of options to shop for the cheapest rental all in one easy location.

At the end of our cruise (April 3rd) we have from 8 am to 8 pm in miami before our flight. Any tips on where we can store our luggage for the day or even hotels at the beach that offer daypasses??? Any info is welcome. I looked into renting a car but the cheapest for the day was $130!

Dutchlove,

The last time I took a cruise out of Miami I stayed at the Savoy hotel before I left on my cruise. I was then able to go back to them and purchase a day pass they day I came back. They stored my luggage for me and I had use of the pool, bathrooms, etc..

• 4 years later...

I booked a day room in Miami at the Sofitel hotel through a website called between9and5.com. The room is available from 10 AM through 5:00 PM and cost $107 for the day. We're going to head there, take a nap, lay out by their pool, grab some lunch, shower, and then head to the airport. They have a free shuttle to MIA.

I haven't stayed there yet (as our cruise is in two weeks), but saw this review on tripadvisor, which prompted me to go with them:

"Hi all,

We returned yesterday from our cruise so I thought you may be interested in how the day room at the Sofitel went - it was fabulous ! We got a taxi from the cruise port arriving at the hotel at 9.30am. Check-in time was 10am but they gave us our room straight away. it was a nice room with a lovely bathroom & plenty of good toiletries. The pool area was very pleasant with comfy padded loungers & chairs & tables + a few daybeds with canopies. A large chiller of iced cucumber water was available to help yourself to. Although no waiters came round to check if you wanted drinks the lobby bar was just a few steps away from the pool. The weather was perfect & we spent the whole day by the pool before showering & changing in our room for the journey home. The restaurant had indoor & terrace dining & we had a good reasonably priced lunch. At 5.30pm the hotel's free shuttle to the airport arrived bang on time & the receptionist gave us bottles of water to drink en route. It gave us an extra day on our holiday & was worth every penny of the $107/£70. We will do this again, thank you Carol for the information."

• 3 months later...
I booked a day room in Miami at the Sofitel hotel through a website called between9and5.com. The room is available from 10 AM through 5:00 PM and cost $107 for the day. We're going to head there, take a nap, lay out by their pool, grab some lunch, shower, and then head to the airport. They have a free shuttle to MIA.

I haven't stayed there yet (as our cruise is in two weeks), but saw this review on tripadvisor, which prompted me to go with them:

"Hi all,

We returned yesterday from our cruise so I thought you may be interested in how the day room at the Sofitel went - it was fabulous ! We got a taxi from the cruise port arriving at the hotel at 9.30am. Check-in time was 10am but they gave us our room straight away. it was a nice room with a lovely bathroom & plenty of good toiletries. The pool area was very pleasant with comfy padded loungers & chairs & tables + a few daybeds with canopies. A large chiller of iced cucumber water was available to help yourself to. Although no waiters came round to check if you wanted drinks the lobby bar was just a few steps away from the pool. The weather was perfect & we spent the whole day by the pool before showering & changing in our room for the journey home. The restaurant had indoor & terrace dining & we had a good reasonably priced lunch. At 5.30pm the hotel's free shuttle to the airport arrived bang on time & the receptionist gave us bottles of water to drink en route. It gave us an extra day on our holiday & was worth every penny of the $107/£70. We will do this again, thank you Carol for the information."

Thanks for the info. Did they provide pool towels?