Stuffed Cat ??? Noordam 11 Nov 2009

BJDownUnder

I have said many times that there is no better place on the face of this Earth for people watching than aboard a Holland America ship.

My wife is constantly reminding me "We're on a cruise. Relax. It's a vacation!" I'm a clinical psychologist. :D

I too don't have a clue about this--but have a question, was this a toy stuffed cat or a dead cat that has been stuffed (taxidermy)? I have a friend who had her beloved pet chihuahua stuffed after it died. Now, she has realized it is a bit odd, but is torn on how to dispose of it.

It certainly looked like a stuffed cat, our group thought it must have been a beloved pet brought along to holiday............to each his own

I too don't have a clue about this--but have a question, was this a toy stuffed cat or a dead cat that has been stuffed (taxidermy)? I have a friend who had her beloved pet chihuahua stuffed after it died. Now, she has realized it is a bit odd, but is torn on how to dispose of it.

It was a toy stuffed cat that had batteries for the animation. It looked real and the woman carried it everywhere. She was very strange.

OK, I'm confirmed for a table for 2 for early seating. That's a lock, right? They can't say they screwed up and I find myself at a table full of loonies and fish hats, right? RIGHT???

Nope - you're never confirmed for a specific size table --- just a time for fixed seated. We always request a table for 2, and the last time we were "Confirmed Early Upper" we were assigned a table for 4. We switched to Open. I suggest you do that too, shootr, if you don't get your 2. In open you can always get a 2 if you go early enough or are willing to wait.

I'm a fan of science fiction in books, and film/TV. I attend science fiction conventions.

An overwhelming majority of convention attendees are interesting people with interesting hobbies.

But at conventions, I've met more than my share of doll and teddy bear companions.

However, the blow up doll fans generally don't come out until after the midnight masquerade. :cool:

We sailed on Oceania with a couple (not WITH, but on the same ship as) who had some sort of doll with them. They were off the wall though, because the lido buffet was pretty full of people and the doll had its own chair. Someone asked if they could use the chair and were told no because it was occupied. My husband overheard them talking about taking the doll for a walk at one of the ports.

Esther, I think these same folks may have been on the Rotterdam Eastern/Western Med and Transatlantic this past Fall. The "doll" was used to reserve deck chairs at the pool and had its own chair at Lido breakfast and lunch. I can't say I heard them "talking" to the doll, so maybe it's not the same couple, but I wouldn't be surprised, as the couple leant new meaning to the term "narcissistic."

They ended up sitting in the front seat of the bus on every excursion, sometimes with doll, sometimes not, and they clearly did not wait for an excursion to be "called" to find their way to the bus. On at least one occasion, after boarding the bus first, "she" went off for pictures and held the entire bus up in departing, waiting for her. To make matters worse, she was a travel agent, probably on a FAM. Really quite annoying.

Some true confession time. Was on a Ladies Only Cruise and one person brought a stuffed bear on board. Each cabin took turns keeping her over night and taking pictures of the adventure of this stupid bear. The only picture my roommate and I took was one of this stupid stuffed bear smoking a cigerette and drinking a gin and tonic. And when it was our turn to keep it overnight, it was thrown into a corner. I don't cruise with those crazy people anymore.

Years ago our daughter was in kindergarten and the assignment was a bear that was to visit each student and the student took a picture or drew the bear doing something at their house. At school conference time, parents could see the adventures of this bear.

Maybe HAL will take a stuffed animal and have a cruise log of the adventures. Think of other companies like... the insurance lizard and the taco dog and.....good PR?

Wasn't there something about an egg that you had to take care of?:confused:

That was for high school kids, to practice parenting skills taking an egg everywhere like a baby and having to be careful with it, etc

I still think all these looney eccentricities are funny and make a trip interesting. Have also seen these oddities on Carnival and RCI.

Someone asked if this happens only on cruises.... NO.

I used to be a server at Cracker Barrel. WE had a woman come in with a doll. She put it in a booster seat, ordered it a meal, cut its' food up, had special silverware for him and talked to him the entire meal. Her husband acted like this was absolutely normal. :eek:

My wife is constantly reminding me "We're on a cruise. Relax. It's a vacation!" I'm a clinical psychologist. :D

Your cruises could be considered "education seminars" for business purposes. Do you suppose your IRS would see it that way?;) Probably not. It's just what popped into my mind.:) Income tax departments, however, aren't generally known for having a sense of humour.

Someone asked if this happens only on cruises.... NO.

I used to be a server at Cracker Barrel. WE had a woman come in with a doll. She put it in a booster seat, ordered it a meal, cut its' food up, had special silverware for him and talked to him the entire meal. Her husband acted like this was absolutely normal. :eek:

We also had an encounter with a "doll person" off a ship.

.Friends invited us to their golf club for dinner. While dining a woman with a very life like baby doll approached our table (both the woman and the doll were beautifully dressed)Our friends introduced us to the lady (a club member)the woman then proceeded to introduce us to the doll (Lucy).

Apparently Lucy thought we were such a "nice looking couple " she just had to come over and say hello. I didn't dare look at my husband,as he graciously greeted Lucy.:D :D

When the woman finally left the table our friends explained ,she takes the doll everywhere and is a just little eccentric.:rolleyes:

I suppose it could have been worse... Lucy might have snubbed us.:)

Your cruises could be considered "education seminars" for business purposes. Do you suppose your IRS would see it that way?;) Probably not. It's just what popped into my mind.:) Income tax departments, however, aren't generally known for having a sense of humour.

I really don't "practice" when I'm on a cruise but it's just part of me to observe people. I don't do it constantly and certainly not in a clinical sense. When I am in that mood I've found the Lido pool bar to be the best spot just to sit back and watch the "world" go by. I don't think the IRS would consider that a valid business expense. :)

Archived