Stuffed Cat ??? Noordam 11 Nov 2009

BJDownUnder

I'm not sure if this counts, because none of the pax sees it; only the Lido crew and my cabin steward. But here goes:

I carry a few rubber cockroaches with me. On the second morning, before the steward comes in, I stick one of them under my pillow. Inevitably, when I return, he has left it on top of the pillow. All through the cruise, we play around with it in or on the towel animals. They get a kick out of doing that.

In the Lido (again, no pax sees this), I will hide it under my plate for when the waiter picks it up, or (if there is nobody in the buffet line) stick one in my salad and ask, "What is this all about?" The catch on quick and steer the unknowing over to me with a wink, whereupon I sneak it out of my pocket and pull another trick.

One time, they steered a waiter over and I pointed to it, he was startled, so I picked it up, put it in my mouth and started chewing on it. The other waiters just laughed.

One cruise, a waiter asked for it at the end. Months later, same ship, a Front Office lady said it showed up in her desk drawer.

I carry a few rubber cockroaches with me..

TomC -

Every few months my husband plays the same trick on me. And I keep falling for it. Jump and scream and he doubles over laughing. One of these days I am going to order some of that fake vomit and get him back. We have little kids, it would be totally believable.

When the woman finally left the table our friends explained ,she takes the doll everywhere and is a just little eccentric.:rolleyes:

I suppose it could have been worse... Lucy might have snubbed us.:)

I don't know, that may have been better than carrying on a conversation with a doll. Personally, I'd take the snub.

But of course, it could have been worse. When your husband 'addressed' the doll, the woman could have exclaimed: "Are you nuts. It's' only a doll and she's not even a Chatty Cathy!".

Wow, what a thread...I'm sitting here at work on a boring day and this has really entertained me. Of course, I can't tell my wife. She already thinks I'm nuts spending so much time on these forums.

Denny

I don't know, that may have been better than carrying on a conversation with a doll. Personally, I'd take the snub.

But of course, it could have been worse. When your husband 'addressed' the doll, the woman could have exclaimed: "Are you nuts. It's' only a doll and she's not even a Chatty Cathy!".

Wow, what a thread...I'm sitting here at work on a boring day and this has really entertained me. Of course, I can't tell my wife. She already thinks I'm nuts spending so much time on these forums.

Denny

He confessed later he thought we were being set up by our friends:)

The woman waving the doll's arm said "say hello to the nice man Lucy",

My husband just grinned and said "Hello Lucy". ( but that's my guy, he'd risk looking a little foolish to indulge a prank or a delusion :D)

I had to post this HERE when I saw the thread.

We cruised in '06 on Princess (sorry, I know this is the Holland thread). It was a very active roll call, and one of our fellow CCers even got flamed for double-booking a shore excursion - he had accidentally given away two seats on a Pompeii tour (to DH and me!).

We met everyone for the meet and greet (and were still on our best behavior then) and the next day, hopped into the van and headed off to Pompeii.

On the ride, the roll caller who got flamed, who was there with his girlfriend, his daughter and daughter's boyfriend, suggested I turn around in the van to say hi to Will's "little friend". I'm thinking "swingers" or god-knows-what, and I turn to see a five inch gnome with a pointy little red hat! :eek:

I don't know what got us all going, but the 8 of us laughed in that car, and cried when Will proceeded to photograph the Gnome EVERYWHERE! Altars in Pompeii, the Amalfi Coast, and as irreverent as it was, even in Vatican City. Wherever we went, Will, his camera, and the gnome followed, and it got funnier ever time!

We got to leaving notes on his door, with gifts ranging from "girlfriends" (little dolls we picked up in town) to togas (we were in Greece, possibly a little too long.) I even found him a tiny t-shirt in Katakolon!

The last formal night, the darned thing showed up for dinner with a bow-tie on, and all the ladies posed with the gnome for pictures. (Reading this thread I now know what everyone was thinking while they watched this debacle!)

Will turned out to be a helluva talented graphics artist, and he regaled us with a "Video finale" that I could not post on a family friendly forum, to music, of this gnome and his escapades, complete with costume changes into the toga and a few cigarettes for good luck (think Team America sex scene).

We laughed until we cried for the rest of the night, and spend three more great days in Venice with this great family from California and another incredible couple from Australia.

We were lucky enough to host them here with us in New York this past summer (and don't you know EVERYONE brought a gnome!)

We have been the dearest of friends ever since because we laughed together for fourteen days. Thank God for Kevin, Tanya, Nick, Pam, Will and Dawn - and all because of a gnome! Go figure!

1461670590_Europe2006382.jpg.8358d382f5af5f92a928871f50d355b8.jpg

This thread reminds me of someone I knew years ago. Her first grandchild, Marni, was born very premature, lived in the nic u for 6 months and died. Grandma went out and bought a doll who she named Marni and placed on her bed. I have no idea how long she kept her but while I thought this was sad, I also thought she was crazy. Imagine how her poor daughter must have felt seeing that doll on her mother's bed and knowing she named it for the baby. People come in all shapes and sizes. Don't think she ever sailed HAL.

I'm not sure if this counts, because none of the pax sees it; only the Lido crew and my cabin steward. But here goes:

I carry a few rubber cockroaches with me. On the second morning, before the steward comes in, I stick one of them under my pillow. Inevitably, when I return, he has left it on top of the pillow. All through the cruise, we play around with it in or on the towel animals. They get a kick out of doing that.

In the Lido (again, no pax sees this), I will hide it under my plate for when the waiter picks it up, or (if there is nobody in the buffet line) stick one in my salad and ask, "What is this all about?" The catch on quick and steer the unknowing over to me with a wink, whereupon I sneak it out of my pocket and pull another trick.

One time, they steered a waiter over and I pointed to it, he was startled, so I picked it up, put it in my mouth and started chewing on it. The other waiters just laughed.

One cruise, a waiter asked for it at the end. Months later, same ship, a Front Office lady said it showed up in her desk drawer.

You must be so much fun at a party!:)

I just caught up with this thread.....On Maasdam this past November, there was an older couple who had a beenie (sp) baby moose, named Bruce Moose.

He had a complete wardrobe, dressed for dinner every night, Kilt one night, Tux the next, etc...He had his own cell phone which rang periodically during dinner as well as his own small dinner plate, which they brought to the dining room.

Everyone was coming by to get a picture of Bruce Moose with his parents (owners).

One night in the theatre, this couple was sitting with vacant seats next to them. A rather serious looking couple came and sat down. Out came Bruce Moose and began this long conversaton with the man about Bruce and how he traveled, had his own wardrobe, etc, on and on....and would the man like to take a photo of Bruce.....

The man looked absolutely mortified, starred at Bruce for a moment, elbowed his wife in the ribs and told Bruce's owner he was crazy as hell and got up and stormed out of the theatre.

We were sitting nearby, down in the floor in stitches. It was one of those cruise moments we will never forget.

OK, now that I've read the whole thread, I have a question. I know it won't be acceptable on Celebrity since there hasn't been a thread such as this at any time, but since HAL seems so much more accepting, can I bring my Blow-Up doll to dinner and have her sit with us? I'll make sure she's properly dressed and all.

Denny

Ok Denny you've given me a brillant idea, I wonder if I could borrow her for use as a giant Rum Runner!

Archived