CIGARS N BALCONIES What say you?

pnjkeith

Smoke can trigger a flare up......which could cause someone with asthma to have a hard time breathing..........you call it irritating........

Unless that person with asthma is standing on my balcony with me, they will not have an asthma attack..there is no way enough smoke will travel from my balcony to the balcony next to me and cause an attack..you my catch a whiff of my smoke, but that will only enough to irritate you.

Unless that person with asthma is standing on my balcony with me, they will not have an asthma attack..there is no way enough smoke will travel from my balcony to the balcony next to me and cause an attack..you my catch a whiff of my smoke, but that will only enough to irritate you.

That was not the original argument;)

AFAIK it's been rebuilt downtown.

Oh really?!?

Edit:

Supposed to be reopened downtown late 2010 per http://scifiwire.com/2009/02/confirmed-new-contract-to-keep-star-trek-the-experience-alive-in-vegas.php

(I had a great time trying to get my wife to rub the lobes of a Ferengi... She's not a treki, but wouldn't do it, because I wouldn't explain what it was LOL.)

Old enough to know better........Where did I say it did:confused: There is no myth except in your mind of confusion......

I'm not confused. Second hand smoke is a MYTH, now I hear on the radio this morning that they have third hand smoke. Does it ever end?

"he's" not calling smoke an irritant;the medical professionals are.

If someone with asthma is that sensitive to smoke....then why would that person choose to cruise on a ship where the smoking policy is liberal?

There are other options.

I'm calling it an irritant......from personal experience with an asthma sufferer;)

You second question has nothing to do with my quote.....

I beg to differ...I have no sense of smell but always know when there is smoke around cause I can't breath. If it isn't a true allergen but does the same thing as an allergy I don't think it matters much...kinda like arguing how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Beg all you want......smoke doesn't cause asthma attacks...it is NOT an allergen. Anyone with asthma should know that. If he doesn't the info is readily available on the internet.

Think what you wish. As John Adams said "Facts are stubborn things".

I beg to differ...I have no sense of smell but always know when there is smoke around cause I can't breath. If it isn't a true allergen but does the same thing as an allergy I don't think it matters much...kinda like arguing how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

You have something else you are allergic to then - smoking is just irritating that allergy. Read the link I posted earlier.

I'm not confused. Second hand smoke is a MYTH, now I hear on the radio this morning that they have third hand smoke. Does it ever end?

Next it will be 4th hand smoke.That happens when somebody thinks about cigarette smoke.....:D

I used to keep asprin in my locker at work (work in a restraunt) just in case a customer would light up a cigar because it would always cause me to get a headache. Those headaches disappeared when we went to a non-smoking restraunt.

I do feel bad that smokers rights are being curtailed in certain areas but I do enjoy smoke free clothes and no headaches. Both my parents were heavy smokers (both died at any early age of lung cancer) and I never realized how bad your clothes smelled until I lived away from it.

My husband enjoys cigars but he has to smoke them outside in the backyard. Hopefully, my neighbors do not find it annoying when they are enjoying their patios!

Love the Star Trek reference ;) My wife and I honeymooned in Vegas, and visited the Star Trek experience. Which I'm sad to say has been removed completely. Ate @ Quarks bar, stumped the staff with a TNG question about their dessert called "One moon circles", which was really good and tasty lol.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Future_Museum

I used to keep asprin in my locker at work (work in a restraunt) just in case a customer would light up a cigar because it would always cause me to get a headache. Those headaches disappeared when we went to a non-smoking restraunt.

Some would say headaches are just irritating:D:p

Maybe we'd rather try to convince Carnival to change their policies.

On the Dream they have this to say:

Although smoking is permitted in cabins and on balconies, it is discouraged as a safety precaution and courtesy to the next occupants of your stateroom. Please note all Spa Suites are smoke free.

This is the first step in making cabins and balconies smoke free. :confused:

Dream on...no pun intended.....

Carnival tried that nonsmoking ship business and it was a flop. They aren't going to turn away business...it's all about the bottom line.

I think their nonsmoking sections on the Dream, Splendor and the new Magic is a wonderful thing. At last, nonsmokers have a whole area of the ship where they can enjoy their own smoke-free atmosphere.

Of course, that section comes at premium prices....which means many will not book those cabins. They will continue to put "wallet" over "health" and continue to book the cheap seats - and continue to complain about smoke.....

Now you are picking at words - an irritant that can irritate an existing allergy.

The leap to allergic to smoke isn't that far...

Does it matter if anyone is actually allergic to smoke or just irritated?

Doesn't sound pleasant to be irritated by smoke!

It's not pleasant to be irritated by anything. I am irritated by the smell of perfume that has been liberally sprayed from head to toe....and I have to ride in an elevator with it,,...or sit next to someone like that. (I move)...

But, it's not going to kill me....nor ruin my cruise....

You know what "they" say: "Into each life some rain must fall".

Carnival tried that nonsmoking ship business and it was a flop. They aren't going to turn away business...it's all about the bottom line.

It was ahead of its time.

There is a huge difference between a nonsmoking ship and banning cigar smoking on balconies.

The number of smokers continues to decline, as does their economic impact on the bottom line.

i am not a regular poster, but am an avid reader of cruise critic.

just curious, exactly how much smoke can one possibly smell on the balcony of a moving ship. if i recall correctly, as i have stayed in the balcony rooms several times, there is constant wind. so unless someone is right beside you exhaling in your face, how is the smoke so overwhelming that it's a problem? the only time where i could possibly see it being bothersome is if the ship were in port and no breeze blowing.

Beg all you want......smoke doesn't cause asthma attacks...it is NOT an allergen. Anyone with asthma should know that. If he doesn't the info is readily available on the internet.

Think what you wish. As John Adams said "Facts are stubborn things".

Do you have asthma?? I can attest to the fact that cigarette smoke is a trigger for asthma. It may not be an allergent but it is a trigger and unless you have been brought to your knees gasping for breath by an asthma attack brought on by cigarette smoke, you have no right to judge.

i am not a regular poster, but am an avid reader of cruise critic.

just curious, exactly how much smoke can one possibly smell on the balcony of a moving ship. if i recall correctly, as i have stayed in the balcony rooms several times, there is constant wind. so unless someone is right beside you exhaling in your face, how is the smoke so overwhelming that it's a problem? the only time where i could possibly see it being bothersome is if the ship were in port and no breeze blowing.

If you have a chain smoker next to you it is very possible;) There are just dividers next to you not interior doors.....

Do you have asthma?? I can attest to the fact that cigarette smoke is a trigger for asthma. It may not be an allergent but it is a trigger and unless you have been brought to your knees gasping for breath by an asthma attack brought on by cigarette smoke, you have no right to judge.

Agree completely but then she uses the internet as the basis of her empirical evidence. We all know what an expert Dr. Oz is since he does have a TV show. Right up there with Dr. Phil!

Archived