CIGARS N BALCONIES What say you?

pnjkeith

But' date=' it's not going to kill me....nor ruin my cruise....

.[/quote']

Well, my son's asthma attack was brought on by cigarette smoke. His oxygen level was 35 when we got to the ER. BTW he almost died and only intensive respiratory therapy saved him.

Do you have asthma?? I can attest to the fact that cigarette smoke is a trigger for asthma. It may not be an allergent but it is a trigger and unless you have been brought to your knees gasping for breath by an asthma attack brought on by cigarette smoke, you have no right to judge.

Yes...smoke is an irratant and irratants trigger asthma attacks.

We don't smoke, and although I don't go out of my way to stick my head in puffs of smoke, or bring my kids to smoky areas, the smell doesn't bother me at all. I rather like some pipes and cigars. In CT, bars and restaurants have been smoke free for a few years now.

Live and let live.

I do have to wonder if the same people who complain they can't stand the smell of smoke ever sat near a roaring fire, either indoors or outside at a campfire, in complete bliss.

We don't smoke, and although I don't go out of my way to stick my head in puffs of smoke, or bring my kids to smoky areas, the smell doesn't bother me at all. I rather like some pipes and cigars. In CT, bars and restaurants have been smoke free for a few years now.

Live and let live.

I do have to wonder if the same people who complain they can't stand the smell of smoke ever sat near a roaring fire, either indoors or outside at a campfire, in complete bliss.

Your joking right? you don't know the difference between a fire and nicotine fire?:(

Celebrity does not allow smoking in staterooms, on balconies or in any inside public room save for one, I believe and it is restricted to a couple of designated smoking areas on the upper decks...

Guess what? It's not turning away business for them, if anything, it's driving it.

Your joking right? you don't know the difference between a fire and nicotine fire?:(

I guess I don't- why would I joke? Besides, I never heard of getting a second hand nicotine contact high.

I'm enjoying a snowy day home with my kids in front of the wood stove.

Again, I don't smoke so I don't understand a lot of the fuss. I also don't have allergies or other sensitivities so can't comment on any of that. My special needs sister has heart failure and a low oxygen saturation. Of course she never smoked and doesn't hang around smokers. She has oxygen 24/7 and sleeps with a CPAP so I do know about breathing problems.

My point was that people who are vehemently opposed to or repulsed by smokers have hung out in my backyard around a roaring fire, eaten meat that was cooked over flame and tastes of charcoal and gone home smelling like summer camp. To me, smoke is smoke. I think people know that smoking is bad for you and that affects their perception of smelling smoke in an outdoor public area.

Not trying to fan the flames more (bad pun intended) but unless you will have a serious anaphylactic reaction to getting a whiff of smoke from your neighbor's balcony, or the smoke is overpowering your sense of taste or you see minor children puffing on cigars, why complain? It's vacation.

I guess I don't- why would I joke? Besides, I never heard of getting a second hand nicotine contact high.

I'm enjoying a snowy day home with my kids in front of the wood stove.

Again, I don't smoke so I don't understand a lot of the fuss. I also don't have allergies or other sensitivities so can't comment on any of that. My special needs sister has heart failure and a low oxygen saturation. Of course she never smoked and doesn't hang around smokers. She has oxygen 24/7 and sleeps with a CPAP so I do know about breathing problems.

My point was that people who are vehemently opposed to or repulsed by smokers have hung out in my backyard around a roaring fire, eaten meat that was cooked over flame and tastes of charcoal and gone home smelling like summer camp. To me, smoke is smoke. I think people know that smoking is bad for you and that affects their perception of smelling smoke in an outdoor public area.

Not trying to fan the flames more (bad pun intended) but unless you will have a serious anaphylactic reaction to getting a whiff of smoke from your neighbor's balcony, or the smoke is overpowering your sense of taste or you see minor children puffing on cigars, why complain? It's vacation.

Well I can only speak for myself:D I don't complain about smokers on the ship........heck you can even smoke on my balcony with my dh:D....what I do complain about is the ignorant comments on this message board of how smoke is nothing more then an irritant to people............how because it is not an allergen it is therefore not dangerous to asthmatics........

Come over to my balony and have a brewski and smoke.......I'm friendly.........

Well I can only speak for myself:D what I do complain about is the ignorant comments on this message board of how smoke is nothing more then an irritant to people............how because it is not an allergen it is therefore not dangerous to asthmatics........

You are speaking for me too.

It was ahead of its time.

There is a huge difference between a nonsmoking ship and banning cigar smoking on balconies.

The number of smokers continues to decline, as does their economic impact on the bottom line.

HA!!

But, they still cruise.......

As for the impact on the economy......how do you think tobacco taxes would be replaced if smoking was banned? For instance, the 1 BILLION $$ a year collected by Texas or, even better, the billions collected by each state - and the Feds each year.

http://www.nocigtax.com/

Maybe they could move the tax over to alcohol...or candy bars...or Big Macs......HA

Well I can only speak for myself:D I don't complain about smokers on the ship........heck you can even smoke on my balcony with my dh:D....what I do complain about is the ignorant comments on this message board of how smoke is nothing more then an irritant to people............how because it is not an allergen it is therefore not dangerous to asthmatics........

Come over to my balony and have a brewski and smoke.......I'm friendly.........

You can't fix ignorant...but you can be entertained by them. :p:rolleyes::D

HA!!

But' date=' they still cruise.......

As for the impact on the economy......how do you think tobacco taxes would be replaced if smoking was banned? For instance, the 1 BILLION $$ a year collected by Texas or, even better, the billions collected by each state - and the Feds each year.

Maybe they could move the tax over to alcohol...or candy bars...or Big Macs......HA[/quote']

They are already doing that.

i am not a regular poster, but am an avid reader of cruise critic.

just curious, exactly how much smoke can one possibly smell on the balcony of a moving ship. if i recall correctly, as i have stayed in the balcony rooms several times, there is constant wind. so unless someone is right beside you exhaling in your face, how is the smoke so overwhelming that it's a problem? the only time where i could possibly see it being bothersome is if the ship were in port and no breeze blowing.

Well, you see, the laws of physics are suspended on the balcony of a cruise ship. Smoke wafts slowly and carefully to the nearest nonsmokers balcony, then gathers in a huge cloud that lingers for hours, becoming thicker and thicker--thereby driving the nonsmoker inside. The smoke then somehow finds a way to enter their cabin through the air vents or by creeping down the hallway and quietly crawling under the door. All this in spite of a brisk trade wind breeze and a ship traveling at several knots per hour.

It's a phenomena being researched and studied. I understand Steven Hawking is even involved.

haha. this thread is so entertaining. if smoking is such an issue for some people, then why do you vacation where smoking is allowed and tolerated. if it is done in designated areas, then you have no right to complain. if you have health issues brought on by smoking, then vacation somewhere it won't be an issue.

Do you have asthma?? I can attest to the fact that cigarette smoke is a trigger for asthma. It may not be an allergent but it is a trigger and unless you have been brought to your knees gasping for breath by an asthma attack brought on by cigarette smoke, you have no right to judge.

Both of my children are asthmatics...as is my grandson..but that's irrelevant.

There is NO argument that smoke is an irritant......It's been said already. The statement was it isn't an allergen...no smoke is an allergen.

As for judging, I don't. I merely question the mental health of anyone with a severe asthma condition who would choose to cruise on a ship where there was a relatively liberal smoking policy in place....especially when there are many options.....and then whine and complain about the smokers.

Makes no sense at all.

HA!!

But' date=' they still cruise.......

Maybe they could move the tax over to alcohol...or candy bars...or Big Macs......HA[/quote']

Fewer and fewer each year...

A big Mac tax wouldn't be a bad thing.

The tobacco lobby is indeed well funded and constantly blowing smoke. :rolleyes:

Now for some facts...

How does tobacco use affect the economy?

The tobacco industry is one of the most profitable businesses in the country, making billions of dollars every year. But the costs of smoking are far higher than the income from cigarette sales.

• Smoking causes more than $196 billion each year in health-related costs, including the cost of lost productivity caused by deaths from smoking.

• Smoking-related medical costs averaged more than $100 billion each year between 2000 and 2004. This translates to $2,247 in extra medical expenses for each adult smoker per year as of 2004.

• Death-related productivity losses from smoking among workers cost the US economy almost $97 billion yearly (average for 2000-2004).

• For each pack of cigarettes sold or given away in 2004, $5.50 was spent on medical care caused by smoking, and $5.32 lost in productivity, for a total cost to society of $10.82 per pack.

Both of my children are asthmatics...as is my grandson..but that's irrelevant.

There is NO argument that smoke is an irritant......It's been said already. The statement was it isn't an allergen...no smoke is an allergen.

NO...you stated that smoke can not cause an asthema attack.

And in questioning peoples mental health, you are judging them.

Just as you judged people from Podunk. :rolleyes:

NO...you stated that smoke can not cause an asthema attack.

Beg all you want......smoke doesn't cause asthma attacks...it is NOT an allergen. Anyone with asthma should know that. If he doesn't the info is readily available on the internet.

I believe you are right that is what she said......

Well, my son's asthma attack was brought on by cigarette smoke. His oxygen level was 35 when we got to the ER. BTW he almost died and only intensive respiratory therapy saved him.

Well, then....if you ever cruise with your son...choose a company with a severely restricted smoking policy....and don't book Carnival.

The attack was NOT caused by smoke......the severity of the attack is caused by whatever he is allergic to...

Well' date=' then....if you ever cruise with your son...choose a company with a severely restricted smoking policy....and don't book Carnival.

The attack was NOT caused by smoke......the severity of the attack is caused by whatever he is allergic to...[/quote']

Ashema is NOT an allergy or an allergic reaction.

:rolleyes:

Live and let live.

Oh, it's only tobacco smoke that nearly chokes them to death. Smoke and particulants from the funnel- or from trucks, cars, refineries, fireplace,barbeque grills....no problem.

Well' date=' then....if you ever cruise with your son...choose a company with a severely restricted smoking policy....and don't book Carnival.

The attack was NOT caused by smoke......the severity of the attack is caused by whatever he is allergic to...[/quote']

Practicing medicine without a license, again?

There are smoke allergies.

Archived