How far in advance did you book your cruise?

suec12

I was reading an article on the cruise industry / forecast the other day and it was noting how far out people usually booked their cruises. This year they are booking further out, therefore fewer last minute bargains. I've noticed that at least for me on Azamara and Oceania, its good to book faaar out - like a year ahead of time - to get a certain itinerary for a lower price. Just wondering when other cruisers booked their recent or upcoming trips. I'm thinking that the 2011 Europe season will be out soon and wondering if I should book something even it its only a "maybe".

We booked our B2B for Oct and Nov 2010 on AZ in May of last year

BTW, are you still on our sailing??

From the time we booked to now, our cabin has increased about $1,000pp

My DH and I wanted a specific itinerary and we wanted to make sure we had our cabin choice....

Otherwise, when I cruise with my mom...we have booked anywhere from 1 year to 1 month out...it just depends.

Being fortunate to live within a day's drive of all Florida and South Carolina ports has given us, in the past, the ability to have great flexibility in bookings. We have booked as close in to sailing as two weeks.

However, because we have been blessed to be able to be caregivers for our elderly parents, this spontaneity has been put on hold for a while since arrangements must be made with other family members for their care. When given a long lead time, plans A, B C and D can be formulated to address this to everyone's peace of mind. Now we are planning about a year in advance, as soon as other family members' calendars are in place.

We booked next week's AZ Quest cruise in Oct 2008, 16.5 months ahead. We booked next year's South America 19 months ahead. We like to get the cabin we want, plus with the low pricing that has been available, we didn't want to have to pay more by waiting.

I have also found that the best way to decrease post-cruise depression is to already have another cruise booked. That way I can get into the excursion research early.

Another planner like me!

I will have to remember that if we are on a cruise together

So I can step up my game, before you snag all the good private guides!!!

:D :D :D

Not another planner to worry about!!:eek: I will be careful to watch for you on future roll calls of ours. :D I normally avoid competition for the guides I want, since booking over a year ahead is normally pretty safe to guarantee that you are #1 in their reservation book.

We booked back to back cruises for Mar 5th 2011 Asia on the Quest when it first hit the market some 6 momnths ago Since then Azamara has now determined their new themes include the "Club" program and with that their fares incresed almost 100%. We saved about 5,000.00 in doing so. You always have the right to cancel within 90 days of the cruise without penalty, so why not book ahead.

Hi palamoh:

It's good to hear from someone else going on this cruise. I found a good price for this online and with the new club perks it is a great deal. I hope you join our roll call. I hope to be looking into private tours very soon. One advantage to booking early is having time to plan.

Booking early gives you a good selection of cabins...and you can cancel up to 75/90 days without penalty. Also, if the cruise only price goes down , you will get a refund. Airfare is locked in. If you wait until 3 months or less, you may get good deals. I waited last year to book...saved a lot...took a guaranty cabin. When the ship doesn't sell, there are usually deals in the last 3 months. In which case, you may consider different cruises which are selling off for cheap. Being flexible on dates and places is a definite plus to getting a good deal. These days there are still deals out there. Watch the prices daily.

I normally book the cruise line air to lock in a price until I can find a better deal on my own. On our first Med cruise, this worked out very well because RCCL had a promotion about six months before the cruise that included $199 air to Barcelona. When brought to their attention they adjusted our air price.

Booking early gives you a good selection of cabins...and you can cancel up to 75/90 days without penalty. Also, if the cruise only price goes down , you will get a refund. Airfare is locked in. If you wait until 3 months or less, you may get good deals. I waited last year to book...saved a lot...took a guaranty cabin. When the ship doesn't sell, there are usually deals in the last 3 months. In which case, you may consider different cruises which are selling off for cheap. Being flexible on dates and places is a definite plus to getting a good deal. These days there are still deals out there. Watch the prices daily.

It is loss of deposit if we cancel here in England

Booked April 2009 for March 2011 - the day it went on sale to get the cabin I wanted. Watched the price rise ever since! Especially since the ACC changes. Not holding out any hope for a price drop. :rolleyes: Just waiting for the flights to come out in a few months.

• 2 weeks later...

We booked Journey B2B for Jan/Feb 2011 in October 2009, about 16 months in advance and at the same time our friends booked these cruises.

Early booking gives us the cabin we want and we want the same cabin for both legs of the cruise, it locks in the price and gives us lots of time to look at shore excursions, book private guides and diet down to our cruise weights :o.

We like to have trips to look forward to so we have five cruises booked. When prices go down we take advantage of the new prices and when prices go waaay up (Azamara) we are locked in at the old prices. :cool: About $4,000 less. Our friends booked a penthouse early and saved $7,100.

We have to book early to take advantage of the prices,because unlike the USA or prices will not drop when the cruise lines offer specials,:( looking for the 2011 at the mo :):)

Our prices came down in January when Azamara announced price rewards for B2B cruises. We will take what they will give us. :cool: We are in Canada but book cruises through a U.S. agency and in U.S.$. Can you do the same?

We've just booked for April 2011 from Singapore > Dubai. I asked my TA to hold a balcony cabin on Thursday last week, and confirmed it this Monday - the price went up by £100 each over the week-end.:eek:

This wasn't bogus as I manage a large shopping centre, and she is one of my tenants. She showed me the screens on both days and it is correct. RCL say the price hike is due to demand with the new changes Azamara have made recently.

David

Varies, but 9-12 months in advance is about average for us. It depends on whether or not we are sailing alone or with friends and whether or not we are currently on a cruise at the time of booking. We have usually tried to book on board to pick up the credits, but there is much less incentive for us to do that now with the inability to combine with the shareholder benefit.

You can but run the risk of being refused boarding, its to do with tax i think :):)

Interesting, could be that you have VAT on cruise fees and/or TA fees? British Columbia is getting a harmonized tax system in July which applies taxes to a lot of things that were not taxed before. :eek: It should make no difference for services purchased out of country, I hope. Unfortunately there are special prices for residents of certain areas which does not generate much good will for people who cannot get the specials. Cruise prices in CND$ are always unfairly higher than the US$ price so we pay the US$ price.

I book cruises with a U.S. TA with a Canadian Bank US$ credit card and we save significant amounts by doing so. Downside is that we are not covered by the British Columbia travel protection fund but this has never been a problem. Also the credit card does not give any perks like travel points or cash back.

I am almost ashamed to say that we have booked quest for 19 Feb 2011. I like advance planning but even I think this is ridiculous. I was told that in the cabin grade I wanted there were only 4 cabins left! My DH and I now have one and our friends another - leaving only 2.

Even harder than booking the cruise was sorting out flights with our frequent flyer miles. We're nearly there!

I am almost ashamed to say that we have booked quest for 19 Feb 2011. I like advance planning but even I think this is ridiculous. I was told that in the cabin grade I wanted there were only 4 cabins left! My DH and I now have one and our friends another - leaving only 2.

Even harder than booking the cruise was sorting out flights with our frequent flyer miles. We're nearly there!

Similar story with me. My TA said there were 9 balcony cabins left, none on deck 6 at all. Now, I'm not sure if that is what was availabale to my TA, or what was available in total on the ship. I suppose that is the down side of booking onto a small ship as availability is relative to scale.

David

Amateur.;) We booked our Best of Italy cruise (last May) as soon as the itinerary was released in April of 2008.

Also some of the "unavailable" cabins may open up - travel agents will take them for group bookings and then release them 30-90 days later. So if your first choice isn't available, it's a good idea to keep checking.

Archived