Free Wifi Spot Anywhere Near Port???

M&MGirl1

I was wondering if anyone knows of a cafe or coffee shop within walking distance of the pier in Grand Cayman that has free wireless connection.

My sister and I will be on the Costa Fortuna March 14th sailing. My sister is enrolled in an on-line class and will have to take a test while we're on the cruise as her instructor wouldn't let her take it early. To purchase a block of wifi time on the boat long enough for her to take the test will cost around $70, which to my sister (who was recently laid off) is prohibitively expensive, but the test will be open the day we're in Grand Cayman.

Thanks in advance for all the help and advice!

Margaret

I did a couple of different searches online. I found 4 wifi hotspots. The first 2 were for resorts, which if they are like US resorts you have to have a room to be able to use the wifi. The 3rd was an office, so I doubt she'd be able to use it. The 4th was the airport in Grand Cayman. They have free wifi, which I'm sure she could use. If you're looking for something close to the port she will likely have to pay for it, but I bet it will be much cheaper than the ship.

I think there's an internet cafe near the port, on the same street but just past Senor Frogs headed into downtown (away from the water). I'm drawing a blank on the name at the moment. Drew, do you know the one I mean? Do I have the right location? It's relatively new, in the same storefront that I think used to be a market-type store/cafe...

I don't know about free Wi-Fi.

The public library on Edward Street has some computers for internet use. The last time I was in there they had some sort of problem and the internet was not connecting.

I think the various Cafe del Sol coffeshops offer wi-fi for a price. There is one on Fort Street (What bookbabe is referring to above. It is in the old Fort Street market location.) and another in the Aquaworld Duty Free Mall next to the Harley Davidson shop.

Computer Geeks in the Queen's Court shopping center 179 West Bay Road offers internet connection for a price.

When we were in Grand Cayman, we took a taxi to Sea Grape Beach, a few miles up the main road at the end of Seven Mile Beach. Much to my surprise and delight, I was able to pick up a free wi fi signal at the beach on my I-phone. I guess it was from the beach bar.

The cost of the taxi was $5.00 each each way per person.

If you were planning to go to the beach anyway, and have a laptop, this could work out for you

I don't know about free access points. You might want to check this resource. I have no idea how current it is. I do know that it's mapping function doesn't appear to work for George Town.

I do know that some stores offer free high speed stations to customers. There are numerous internet cafes and last I checked prices are US$8 - $20 per hour.

I think the various Cafe del Sol coffeshops offer wi-fi for a price. There is one on Fort Street (What bookbabe is referring to above. It is in the old Fort Street market location.)

Yup...that's the one I was thinking of. It's pretty easy to find, since it's just past Senor Frogs and you absolutely can't miss seeing them... :D Thanks, Drew...

• 3 weeks later...

In an experiment possible only on the ground

I can now confrm, free WiFi is found.

With laptop in tow, a morning stop I did make

And just a few minutes the effort did take.

Round Edward Street way I went this morn

To seek out a signal and download some.... email. (This is a family board, no?)

The George Town public library it seems, emits the signal you seek

From my truck in the parking lot, I took a peek.

Flipped open my computer and tried to connect

And got Hotmail and CNN and more I suspect

I found free WiFi, downtown I do say

The cruise ship docks only few blocks away.

Archived