I don't understand

klfrodo

the complaints folks have regarding airfare prices. Maybe I'm just getting older :eek:

In 1978, I bought myself a round trip ticket on TWA to Jamaica for my 21st birthday (trip of a lifetime, or so I thought). I paid $500 for a RT ticket. Today, I can buy that ticket for $463. Price has actually dropped in 32 years.

According to the Consumer Price Index Inflation Calculator, that $500 ticket in 1978 should cost $1645.22 in 2010

But you're absolutely right. Airfare since deregulation in the US has actually gone down in "real" terms (i.e. inflation adjusted.) People have short memories (or they aren't old enough to have bought plane tickets 20 years ago.)

Unfortunately the price of fuel, labor, airplanes, etc. has not kept pace, hence no meals in coach, and pay for your suitcase.

In 2001 I traveled to Paris for $321 tax included. The same ticket today is $800-900.

So its not true that all tickets have gone down. What is down somewhat are advanced purchased tickets. Last minute ones cost more.

Almost all the legacy airlines have bit the dust and the small startups are as the crash near Buffalo shows....problematic...

Also you can hardly compare a 1978 ticket. Most of the people dressed up to fly. You would get full meals, blankets, pillows, free luggage allowances....now you may get peanuts thrown at you....opps no peanuts someone may be allergic.

I just saw a small feature bit on one of the morning TV shows that compared flying today with flying yesteryear, and as they pointed out, it's not the same world today. Airline travel is now mass transportation now, like commuter trains and buses. Even the OP noted that he/she thought a trip to Jamaica was a trip of a lifetime at that time.

My husband would like to preserve that "special" feeling and wants to dress up like you did back then for air travel, and I have pointed out to him that air travel simply isn't the same experience as when you flew in comfort, and had a hot meal served to you. Now you stand in endless lines, are herded onto the plane like cattle, only to end up sitting in cramped seats; not something I care to do in heels and a suit. I'm with the people on TV who would like to do it in yoga pants and easily removable flip flops (but it's too cold in Chicago for the sandals in winter).

BC

Thanks to company record keeping I can look back at what we paid for airfare over a very long time. Generally flights are less expensive in US$ now than years ago but people are earning much more money now than then.

I have a fairly good memory for what I've paid for cruises over the years as well and many cruises are less costly now than 20 years ago.

I'm not ocmplaining.

Also you can hardly compare a 1978 ticket. Most of the people dressed up to fly. You would get full meals, blankets, pillows, free luggage allowances....now you may get peanuts thrown at you....opps no peanuts someone may be allergic.

I would venture to say that if air travels prices had kept up with inflation rates (ie. $500 ticket in 1978 costing $1645 in todays $$) that the airlines would still be providing full meals, blankets, pillows, and free luggage.

and possibly flight attendants in mini skirts :eek:

I would venture to say that if air travels prices had kept up with inflation rates (ie. $500 ticket in 1978 costing $1645 in todays $$) that the airlines would still be providing full meals, blankets, pillows, and free luggage.

and possibly flight attendants in mini skirts :eek:

And 747's between New York and Boston. Once a day.

In 2001 I traveled to Paris for $321 tax included. The same ticket today is $800-900.

You can thank the increase in taxes for some of that. I have a paper ticket from a flight I took in 2002. The taxes accounted for just over 1% of the cost of the ticket.

I booked a transatlantic ticket between the US and London the other week and the taxes came to more than $550. I can assure that represents a lot more than 1% of the cost of the ticket!

Something's gotta give, right?

You can thank the increase in taxes for some of that. I have a paper ticket from a flight I took in 2002. The taxes accounted for just over 1% of the cost of the ticket.

I booked a transatlantic ticket between the US and London the other week and the taxes came to more than $550. I can assure that represents a lot more than 1% of the cost of the ticket!

Something's gotta give, right?

Most of it is not 'taxes' but instead a nasty 'fuel surcharge'. Some airlines (AC for example) have a fuel surcharge which ends up with the passengers paying nearly 80% of the total fuel cost to carry them, or to put it another way; a surcharge of 380% of the airlines portion.

Most of it is not 'taxes' but instead a nasty 'fuel surcharge'. Some airlines (AC for example) have a fuel surcharge which ends up with the passengers paying nearly 80% of the total fuel cost to carry them, or to put it another way; a surcharge of 380% of the airlines portion.

[PEEVISH TIRADE] I really wish that our (Canadian) Transport Minister would proclaim 'truth in advertising' regulations in effect to eliminate accessorial charges like 'fuel surcharge'; which in all truth should be re-labeled the 'how-can-we-obfuscate-our-base-fare-to-appear-more-competitive-than-we-really-are-when-we-advertise-our-prices surcharge'

It was included in Bill C-11 - An Act to amend the Canada Transportation Act and the Railway Safety Act and to make consequential amendments to other Acts (http://www2.parl.gc.ca/HousePublicat...3294543&file=4) The bill received Royal Assent in July 2007.

However, it was left to Minister of Transport to proclaim these regulations in force - which has yet to be done, owing to the very effective lobbying of the airline industry.

From the Canada Transportation Act: Section 86.1

Advertising regulations

86.1 (1) The Agency shall make regulations respecting advertising in all media, including on the Internet, of prices for air services within, or originating in, Canada.

Contents of regulations

(2) Without limiting the generality of subsection (1), regulations shall be made under that subsection requiring a carrier who advertises a price for an air service to include in the price all costs to the carrier of providing the service and to indicate in the advertisement all fees, charges and taxes collected by the carrier on behalf of another person in respect of the service, so as to enable a purchaser of the service to readily determine the total amount to be paid for the service.

Regulations may prescribe

(3) Without limiting the generality of subsection (1), the regulations may prescribe what are costs, fees, charges and taxes for the purposes of subsection (2).

Sorry, I am stepping off my soap box now. [/PEEVISH TIRADE]

Scott.

I started flying long-haul regularly in 1976: three or so round-trips between London and Hong Kong every year. A ticket then cost somewhere between £500 and £600 round-trip (in 1976 money).

Today, I can buy a round-trip ticket between London and Hong Kong for £474 round-trip (in 2010 money). And this is in a non-sale period.

I also find it baffling that anyone expects 1976-style service for 2010 prices. Indeed, the amazing thing is that airline service on this route is still recognisably similar to that available in 1976, only with some aspects pared down a bit. By any rational economic standards, one would expect to fly in slave galley conditions for the 2010 prices.

I'm not going to go over old ground again about scottbee's repeated assertion that AC's fuel surcharge is 80% of its total cost of fuel. Astute readers may simply want to know that this conclusion is derived from a statistically questionable approach, and I am very far from convinced that it's accurate.

But more to the point, which 100%-paying customer cares two hoots whether it's called "fuel surcharge" or "fare"? It makes no difference to the amount you pay.

Archived