Would you buy insurance if you are not flying?

luv2gonow

Hi,

I've never bought insurance and so far i've been lucky. Although last year cruising out of NY....we followed a hurricane up to Canada:eek:

I was terrified....almost didn't go....but the Captain was great and the trip was perfect....rocking yes.....but not at all what i thought. And Sunny:D

I am leaving out of NY....(no fly)....6/24....very early hurricane season.

I am going to P.R...St Thomas, and Grand Turk.

Do you think it is a big mistake to not get insurance????

Thanks

K

Hi,

I've never bought insurance and so far i've been lucky. Although last year cruising out of NY....we followed a hurricane up to Canada:eek:

I was terrified....almost didn't go....but the Captain was great and the trip was perfect....rocking yes.....but not at all what i thought. And Sunny:D

Thanks

K

That is going to a personal choice. I buy insurance not only for the issues that come up with missing/delayed etc. cruise and /or flights but probably more so for the medical as you never know what can happen.

Ditto! I had a friend who was in an airport in Dublin getting ready to board a flight to return to the states. She tripped, fell and broke her kneecap - ended up in a Dublin hospital for over 2 weeks. It would have cost her a fortune but ultimately EVERYTHING was paid for. You just never know what life is going to hand you and $50 - $100 is not much to pay for some peace of mind!

That is going to a personal choice. I buy insurance not only for the issues that come up with missing/delayed etc. cruise and /or flights but probably more so for the medical as you never know what can happen.

Hi,

We buy travel insurance for the same above reasons. In our younger days we never even thought about it & it wasn't nearly as popular as it is now a days.

We mainly buy the insurance now just in case we would need a medical evacuation while at sea. Life happens so its better to be prepared.

Have a Great cruise.

Joyce & Of Course Harvey

Whether it's a mistake is open to debate. It is definitely a risk to not purchase insurance, and everyone's tolerance to risk is different. I always get insurance. I feel it's a small price to pay for peace of mind. I have had occasion to file a claim, as have others I traveled with. As to your question about buying insurance if you aren't flying, my claim was for a theft that occurred in port in Hawaii which was unrelated to flying. You have to consider everything that would be covered by insurance--trip delay or cancellation, injury or illness, medical evacuation, theft, etc.--and weigh your tolerance for risk of these events. You aren't flying to the port, so missed flights and misdirected baggage aren't risks, but an accident or serious illness during your cruise, or missing the ship when on an independent tour, would result in a big expense. On one of my cruises, a passenger had to be airlifted off the ship by helicopter and taken to a medical facility on land. Can you imagine getting a bill for that?

Hi,

We buy travel insurance for the same above reasons. In our younger days we never even thought about it & it wasn't nearly as popular as it is now a days.

We mainly buy the insurance now just in case we would need a medical evacuation while at sea. Life happens so its better to be prepared.

Have a Great cruise.

Joyce & Of Course Harvey

Yep... it is a personal choice. We didn't purchase it for our earlier cruises, but do now as we get older. Big reason for us is to cover risk due to medical situations, but also in case of a medical emergency back home. In our case, we have elder-care responsibilities for two mothers in their late 80's, one of which is not in the best of health. God forbid that something happen, but we do need to recognize the possibilities that we may find ourselves in a situation where we'd have to cancel at the last minute.

We aren't flying either, but I am thinking of adding the isurance tomorrow. It's $76 for our family. I think it's worth the peace of mind. I still can't figure out where theft is covered under these policies, but I've heard so many stories of things coming up missing that I feel compelled to start buying it now. I've never purchased it for any if our previous cruises.

We've had 33 cruises without insurance--so far--so good--we're now officially self insured.;)

So you've probably saved around 4K.

Lets assume you're at sea, you slip and fall down the stairs and hit your head. Suddenly there's an urgent need to get you to a hospital. An air lift will cost around 30K. Now you're in the hole by 26K. Add your hospital stay in there, rehabilitation, cost to get your loved ones from the ship to the hospital and on and on. You say you're self insured? You're not even close.

Hi,

Thanks

K

It depends. Will your health insurance cover you outside of the US? If not, can you afford the medical costs? What if you have to be evacuated? Can you afford that? Are you willing to take the risk if you are injured?

What if you get injured before the trip and thus cannot go on the trip because of your injuries? Are you willing to just kiss the money you paid goodbye?

Insurance covers more than just trip delay.

Will your health insurance cover you out of the country? and does it include evacuation coverage? IF the answer to these questions is YES than no I wouldn't purchase insurance. If you have no health insurance out of country or evacuation insurance then YES IMHO you should be purchasing insurance. Accidents happens and they don't give you warning ahead of time;)

We always make sure we have medical evacuation and emergency coverage when we are out of the country. For a typical seven day cruise we can usually get the riders we need for less than thirty dollars each. Compared to the extremely rare but incredibly expensive cost involved that seems like a bargain to us.

We have never purchased travel insurance because we think it is overpriced for the risk involved. If we were to book an early saver rate more than a year out we would probably view the trip insurance differently but the total cost of ES plus the insurance would need to be considered against booking at a different rate.

Some people are just too uncomfortable with the idea that they could lose their money. That's fine, but buying insurance means that they will lose their money slowly over time instead of potentially in one fell swoop. We are happy to self-insure (that means we are comfortable with taking the hit if something happens) as long as we can cancel before final payment is due.

Whenever I leave the country I buy the insurance, whether I fly or drive or get there by some other means (I was on AMTRAK a few years ago.) Health costs being what they are, and knowing that most health policies, including Medicare, don't cover out-of-country medical care, I don't travel without it.

I never buy it. I'm young, in relatively good health and can drive to the port of Tampa in 20 minutes. I just don't think the miniscule risk of a serious catastrope is worth worrying about. And if the unthinkable happenned, and I had to be evacuated due to a serious medical condition, I wouldn't be too worried about who's paying for it. Now, If I was an 80 year old drunk woman with high blood pressure, traveling alone, and flying in on embarkation day from North Dakota in the dead of winter and planning to spend the day shopping by myself in Ocho Rios, I'd probably buy insurance.

I never buy it. I'm young, in relatively good health and can drive to the port of Tampa in 20 minutes. I just don't think the miniscule risk of a serious catastrope is worth worrying about. And if the unthinkable happenned, and I had to be evacuated due to a serious medical condition, I wouldn't be too worried about who's paying for it. Now, If I was an 80 year old drunk woman with high blood pressure, traveling alone, and flying in on embarkation day from North Dakota in the dead of winter and planning to spend the day shopping by myself in Ocho Rios, I'd probably buy insurance.

The person paying for it will be you. If that isn't a concern, C'est la vie! :D

We're planning our first cruise out of Tampa for Jan, and even though we're not flying we bought insurance. I figure with two kids under 5, I want to make sure we've got medical insurance and I know our current insurance won't cover the cruise.

For me, I'm more concerned about the medical issues that could happen than I am about losing the money we paid for the cruise. Since we're not flying I'm not too concerned about lost luggage or being delayed getting to the port, but I am concerned about medical issues popping up.

Archived