Would you buy insurance if you are not flying?

luv2gonow

The person paying for it will be you. If that isn't a concern, C'est la vie! :D

And not necessarily true. If the coast guard medivacs me from a ship, it doesn't cost me a dime. Well, I mean it costs us all in taxes, but I won't get a bill from the coast guard.

I bought insurance for a cruise with my sister @ $51.00 pp. She was a dummy, packed her camera in her suitcase and lo and behold her suitcase got busted into by someone within the airline community and her camera was stolen...before our trip.

She made a claim and was reimbursed less some depreciation. So as you see, insurance isn't just for illness:)

I bought insurance for a cruise with my sister @ $51.00 pp. She was a dummy, packed her camera in her suitcase and lo and behold her suitcase got busted into by someone within the airline community and her camera was stolen...before our trip.

She made a claim and was reimbursed less some depreciation. So as you see, insurance isn't just for illness:)

But I think the OP, and as in my case, was for people who aren't flying..

And not necessarily true. If the coast guard medivacs me from a ship, it doesn't cost me a dime. Well, I mean it costs us all in taxes, but I won't get a bill from the coast guard.

I thought I read on another board just this week that the Coast Guard is in fact billing in some situations now. Maybe just a rumor.

It wouldn't be fun but I could absorb the loss of cruise fare and a few plane tickets. What I don't want to do is shell out $20,000 - $40,000 for medical evacuation costs. I don't want to be in a hospital on an island and have to stay there because I can't pay for a medical evacuation. And I don't think the ship would give me a choice, if they think I need to be taken off in a helicopter it is probably going to happen and I would be the one getting the bill.

Hi,

I've never bought insurance and so far i've been lucky. Although last year cruising out of NY....we followed a hurricane up to Canada:eek:

I was terrified....almost didn't go....but the Captain was great and the trip was perfect....rocking yes.....but not at all what i thought. And Sunny:D

I am leaving out of NY....(no fly)....6/24....very early hurricane season.

I am going to P.R...St Thomas, and Grand Turk.

Do you think it is a big mistake to not get insurance????

Thanks

K

Insurance is not only good for missed departure coverages but for (the unexpected) medical and MedEvac situations that (generally) your personal Health Insurance probably doesn't cover (out-of-country). ken

I'd gladly cough up 25 grand to save my own life. I'm too young to die. ;)

Depending on where you, airvac can cost much more than that. ;) Paying 50 bucks for insurance is nothing compared to out of your pocket if something happens.

Depending on where you, airvac can cost much more than that. ;) Paying 50 bucks for insurance is nothing compared to out of your pocket if something happens.

Well, I'll probably be in the Caribbean, and most policies have a standard $25,000 for emergency evacuations. I still prefer to go with the free coast guard plan and the I don't care how much it costs Belizean plan because I'd rather die than spand a night in a Belizean hospital. ;) I'll keep the $50 so I can be drunk while I'm in a coma.

Well, I'll probably be in the Caribbean, and most policies have a standard $25,000 for emergency evacuations. I still prefer to go with the free coast guard plan and the I don't care how much it costs Belizean plan because I'd rather die than spand a night in a Belizean hospital. ;) I'll keep the $50 so I can be drunk while I'm in a coma.

You surely are a Carnival cruiser...:p

I drive to port and still get insurance. Too many variables where the insurance could get us out of a jamb and it really isn't expensive. I just consider it part of the cost of the cruise just like gratuities and parking fees for my car.

Lost luggage, covered. Medical emergency, covered. Evacuation from the ship, covered. Trip delay (getting to port if I got in a car accident, had a flat tire, car problems), covered. So many things can go wrong and that $65 to $125 is well worth the cost I've paid even when I didn't need it.

We cruise the most frequently from Galveston, which is only an hour from our home...we always buy insurance. Sadly, we've used it once, when my dad passed away and we had to leave a cruise early. The insurance reimbursed us for plane tickets back to Houston and the unused days of our cruise. To me, it's a small price to pay to know if something happens we're not going to be out thousands of $$$.

We buy insurance for all our trips now. We don't want to have to worry about evacuation charges, nor do we want to lose our money for the cruise if a parent gets really ill or something of the sort.

Our cruise insurance has $50k for medivac or $1 Million, depending on which insurance we buy. $25k won't cover much these days in spite of how young you are. I know that purchasing insurance is a personal choice, but to us, it's just part of the cruise expense, so we get it all the time.

By the way, I am NOT an 80 year drunk old lady--just someone who doesn't want to spend my hard earned money paying for a medivac or a cruise that we can't go on because of family problems. When we spend money for a vacation, we want to enjoy it with not having to worry about anything. We also drive to our ports with the exception of Alaska.

Hi,

I've never bought insurance and so far i've been lucky. Although last year cruising out of NY....we followed a hurricane up to Canada:eek:

I was terrified....almost didn't go....but the Captain was great and the trip was perfect....rocking yes.....but not at all what i thought. And Sunny:D

I am leaving out of NY....(no fly)....6/24....very early hurricane season.

I am going to P.R...St Thomas, and Grand Turk.

Do you think it is a big mistake to not get insurance????

Thanks

K

We always get trip insurance, same as car, you'l never need it, right? Our last trip the wife the wife had to see the ship's doctor. The medical part payed for the visit,meds etc. Never know, do you.icon12.gif

Is it free? Does anyone have experience with this?

Personally, I've never been rescued by the coast guard, but from what I understand, they don't charge for their services. I don't think the fire department charges to douse your house with water, either..

We always make sure we have medical evacuation and emergency coverage when we are out of the country. For a typical seven day cruise we can usually get the riders we need for less than thirty dollars each. Compared to the extremely rare but incredibly expensive cost involved that seems like a bargain to us.

We have never purchased travel insurance because we think it is overpriced for the risk involved. .

Your response really intrigued me.:) Please explain how you accomplish purchasing your 'riders' and what the riders are attached to. This opportunity has never been available to me that I know of, and therefore I have gone thought the expense of purchasing travel insurance instead.

Personally, I've never been rescued by the coast guard, but from what I understand, they don't charge for their services. I don't think the fire department charges to douse your house with water, either..

Are they going to take you to a hospital close to your home? Just curious.

Your response really intrigued me.:) Please explain how you accomplish purchasing your 'riders' and what the riders are attached to. This opportunity has never been available to me that I know of, and therefore I have gone thought the expense of purchasing travel insurance instead.

You can buy many types of travel insurance. All inclusive, medical only, evacuation only, etc. I think he's saying that they get evac coverage only, not covering things like lost luggage, trip cancellation and such.

I still prefer to go with the free coast guard plan and the I don't care how much it costs Belizean plan because I'd rather die than spand a night in a Belizean hospital.

So the Coast Guard would fly you out of that Belizean hospital? That would be a great deal because if you had to use any of the private medical evacuation services to get from that hospital in Belize to your hometown in the US it would cost you big. I guess I assumed the CG would just take you to the nearest medical facility.

You can buy many types of travel insurance. All inclusive, medical only, evacuation only, etc. I think he's saying that they get evac coverage only, not covering things like lost luggage, trip cancellation and such.

I realize that, but I don't believe any of those things are riders - they are trip insurance policies. I'm looking for his (or her) explanation.:)

One never knows what could happen between your home and the ship, and then once you get on the ship. Even if you don't fly, you could get into some kind of accident between your home and the ship preventing you from getting onto that ship. Fear does play a part in deciding whether to get the travelers insurance or not. We always get the insurance--peace of mind is worth more than what the policy costs. JMHO.

So the Coast Guard would fly you out of that Belizean hospital? That would be a great deal because if you had to use any of the private medical evacuation services to get from that hospital in Belize to your hometown in the US it would cost you big. I guess I assumed the CG would just take you to the nearest medical facility.

I don't think the CG would pick me up in Belize, so if I code there, I guess I'll just have to die. I just hope it's after I get to snorkle Goff's Caye.. :)

Hi Everyone........

What I am about to say really happened and its why I am an advocate of getting trip ins.

Oct. 31st 2008 (Friday) Took off work this day to run some last minute errands and finish packing for the flight to Miami and the following Nov. 2nd Triumph cruise. First stop, 7:00 am Rite Aide drug store to purchase all those last minute "fun things". The drug store is located in a good sized "strip mall" and as I left the store and was WALKING to my car, I was run into by an SUV. I was hit on the right side and fell foreward face first onto the pavement. I spent about 15 hours approx. in Presbyterian Hosp. trauma unit. The damages you ask? I had 2 sprained ankles, stitches in left knee and foot, seriously broken right arm, and I lost all but 7 teeth in my mouth. I couldn't eat, walk or drive for sometime and needless to say, I missed the cruise and did NOT have trip ins. So I say to everyone, you never know what COULD happen, so for the little extra $ that travel ins. costs get the ins.!!! A year later (and 43 thousand in med. bills) the case was settled and all the bills paid. She admited guilt per the police report. I have dentures now but a prettier smile than I did

before and the arm is good as new!!! I hope noone goes through what I did, BUT pls. cover yourselves just in case!!!!!!

Thanks,

PS I lost a ton of $ by missing that cruise, I have been on 2 cruises since then and ALWAYS get the ins. now.

Archived