Would you buy insurance if you are not flying?

luv2gonow

Personally, I've never been rescued by the coast guard, but from what I understand, they don't charge for their services. I don't think the fire department charges to douse your house with water, either..

Too bad in an emergency at sea you don't get to pick who rescues you!:rolleyes:

So the Coast Guard would fly you out of that Belizean hospital? That would be a great deal because if you had to use any of the private medical evacuation services to get from that hospital in Belize to your hometown in the US it would cost you big. I guess I assumed the CG would just take you to the nearest medical facility.

Also if you are admitted to a hospital outside the US they won't let you leave before any bill accrued is paid in full.

I think it is foolish NOT to buy the insurance. On a recent cruise, there were two young men who rented mopeds in Nassau. One spin around the corner and one of them ended up on the payment. No big injuries.....but badly scraped and bleeding. So....he goes back to the ship and the medical people there clean him up, bandage him...and the cost for this first aid was over $200. Now, not a lot of money, mind you....but sure ruined his vacation in more ways than one. Sorry...if I had the option of paying $40 for a bandaid, or $200...guess which offer I would take?

I've had insurance on most of my cruises (should've had it on all), and we've always driven to the port. Even in my early 30s, you never know if some medical emergency might happen. But before you buy Carnival's insurance, check out "insuremytrip.com" to see what kind of coverage & prices you can get from the many many options there. In almost all cases, you'll find much better coverage for cheaper, compared to Carnival's.

I think it is foolish NOT to buy the insurance. On a recent cruise, there were two young men who rented mopeds in Nassau. One spin around the corner and one of them ended up on the payment. No big injuries.....but badly scraped and bleeding. So....he goes back to the ship and the medical people there clean him up, bandage him...and the cost for this first aid was over $200. Now, not a lot of money, mind you....but sure ruined his vacation in more ways than one. Sorry...if I had the option of paying $40 for a bandaid, or $200...guess which offer I would take?

Only a moron would rent a moped in Nassau. Insurance or not! That's foolishness! If I was gonna rent a moped there, or most any port, I'd insure my balls.

I never have, and I've been fine. It is not something that even think about. I always fly in the day before so I don't have to worry about delayed flights. I am in my early thirties and don't worry about medical issues. I have excellent health insurance if something were to happen on my trip. If I get robbed, well that could happen at home too.

Ok....I will check with my health insurance about being covered out of the country and evacuation...

I'm almost ready to buy because like a previous poster said....."Murphys Law"....Oh yeah....thats me.

OK...now to add another thing to the mix....I don't have Passports:eek: I should by then......

If I get hurt in another country.....I'm screwed right....insurance won't help me leave....I need to get a passport right????

I let ours expire and since Carnival dosen't need it to cruise....ahem....i've been lazy...AND.....procrasinating:rolleyes:

thanks for all the responses everyone:D

K

A few years ago I had a TRANSAT planned with my sister .My husband/not going / got assaulted at work ,broken nose ..etc etc etc..1 month prior to cruise Long story short I had to cancel my cruise.My insurance kicked in paid for everything .Remember to ALWAYS cancel with cruise line first to not be penalized

I was relieved I had insurance .Sometimes bad things happen to OTHERS not just you and THAT changes your plans

Be safe not sorry

Michele

Get the insurance.

Luck eventually runs out.

Flying is NOT the only reason to buy insurance.

Kids get hurt all the time.

You have to be filty rich to be self-insured.

Insurance is insurance and the old saying, while such a cliche, is absolutely true.

It is better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

Get the insurance.

Hi,

I've never bought insurance and so far i've been lucky. Although last year cruising out of NY....we followed a hurricane up to Canada:eek:

I was terrified....almost didn't go....but the Captain was great and the trip was perfect....rocking yes.....but not at all what i thought. And Sunny:D

I am leaving out of NY....(no fly)....6/24....very early hurricane season.

I am going to P.R...St Thomas, and Grand Turk.

Do you think it is a big mistake to not get insurance????

Thanks

K

yes, I think it is a big mistake. Insurance covers lots of stuff.....accidents, illness, home issues..i.e (flood 2 days before embark) etc. etc. It is money well spent.

Ok....I will check with my health insurance about being covered out of the country and evacuation...

I'm almost ready to buy because like a previous poster said....."Murphys Law"....Oh yeah....thats me.

OK...now to add another thing to the mix....I don't have Passports:eek: I should by then......

If I get hurt in another country.....I'm screwed right....insurance won't help me leave....I need to get a passport right????

I let ours expire and since Carnival dosen't need it to cruise....ahem....i've been lazy...AND.....procrasinating:rolleyes:

thanks for all the responses everyone:D

K

It sounds like you are looking to commiserate here, right?:) That's not a bad thing...but...it doesn't change anything....so yes, get the insurance and get the passport and call your medical insurance carrier and ask them about what happens if you are out of the country. People do trips like you are planning to do everyday...so please stop for a moment...and.. ...do what you need to do and enjoy your trip.........You do want to go, right?

We were on a "Bad Luck Cruise" a few years back

we witnessed ALL ON ONE CRUISE

a 13 year old get hit by a taxi and go to the hospital. Thank God she was not seriously injured.

a gentlemen trip and fall up the steps of the entrance to the cruise port and really banged up his face and broke his glasses.

a woman slip and fall in the lido area and got cut on her knees and arms

and I was recovering from an appendix operation six weeks earlier.

Though we had fun :eek:. We NEVER traveled without insurance ever again.

I didn't start buying insurance until after our 3rd cruise. We had so many close calls on that trip that I decided it was worth the peace of mind to have it.

First, we were driving from Michigan to Florida with 2 vehicles since it was the 4 of us plus DM and DSF and 2 DB's going. In Atlanta something happened to DM's car and we couldn't get her trunk to open. Not good since all their luggage and DSF's wheel chair was in there. We found a dealer service center in Atlanta that was able to get us in but we spent a good 5 hours there. Luckily we had built in enough time so we could visit DGM before the cruise so this just put us behind the eight ball.

Then, we were on our way to the port in Tampa, when a cooler flew out of the back of a pick up truck and smashed my DM's windshield on the driver's side. Luckily we were close enough to port so DH took over driving her car to the port and the people in the parking garage assisted us in getting someone out to repair it while we were on our cruise. If we had been further away from the port when this happened we could have had some serious issues.

Finally when we got back from our cruise we found out that my DGM went into the hospital right after we had left but was now doing better and my DF caught an infection while we were gone (he went in the hospital about a month before our cruise for heart problems and this is where he caught the infection) and he ended up passing away 2 days after we returned.

We had too many close calls for me to take that type of risk again.

I still can't figure out where theft is covered under these policies, but I've heard so many stories of things coming up missing that I feel compelled to start buying it now.

I can't say that all policies cover theft, but those that do include it in their baggage/personal effects clause. There are (as there always are!) some limitations to this coverage.

As mentioned in an earlier post, I filed a claim for a theft that occurred while in port. I didn't have any trouble filing or getting paid. You do need to make sure you file a report with the appropriate authorities.

I neglected to mention in my earlier post the importance of the type of insurance you purchase. Always make sure a policy is for Primary coverage. If you get Secondary coverage, that means you have to exhaust ANY means of coverage you have before the insurance pays out. That could delay payment of your claim or prevent you from filing one. In my case, the theft would have been covered under my home owner's policy. If I had purchased secondary insurance, I would have had to file a claim with my HO insurance and the travel insurance would have reimbursed my deductible. But filing a home owner's claim usually results in your premiums going up, which may make filing a claim at all cost prohibitive.

You can get Primary coverage for pretty much the same price as Secondary, so there is no good reason to settle for Secondary.

My parents were to leave on thier 14 day Hawaii cruise yesterday. Well, on Friday night my mom fell and broke her arm in two places and broke her rotator cuff and had surgery on Saturday. They had to cancel the cruise and if they didn't have insurance they would be out of luck. We NEVER cruise without insurance. Some people take their chances but I would not recommend it. I like having that peace of mind, it's a small price to pay.

Happy Cruising!

Toni

Before I had to use the insurance I would buy it about 50% of the time. The cost of the vacation drove the fact if I would by the insurance.

Then we experienced major flight delays. My kids were very upset that we would have to turn around and go home. I called the insurance company and they gave me two options. 150% refund or they would reimburse my out of pocket costs to fly to the first port of call and stay in a hotel until the ship arrived. We spent two great nights in a hotel in Cozumel - all inclusive including drinks. They sent a boat to come get us and our luggage with the ship arrived. It was fantastic.

From that point forward we got the insurance. My mom used it for lost luggage - which meant shopping guilt free.

Thank goodness I have not needed it for medical - but I could now see that there would be needed peace of mind if that happened.

Do any of you whom have posted in this thread buy the Cruise line insurance and have you had any experience with a claim with them? I have only had one cruise and did insure my self with Carnival..but wondering if I should do the same with this cruise?

Thanks

I do not purchase from the cruiseline. It is definately more expensive.

Before I had to use the insurance I would buy it about 50% of the time. The cost of the vacation drove the fact if I would by the insurance.

Then we experienced major flight delays. My kids were very upset that we would have to turn around and go home. I called the insurance company and they gave me two options. 150% refund or they would reimburse my out of pocket costs to fly to the first port of call and stay in a hotel until the ship arrived. We spent two great nights in a hotel in Cozumel - all inclusive including drinks. They sent a boat to come get us and our luggage with the ship arrived. It was fantastic.

From that point forward we got the insurance. My mom used it for lost luggage - which meant shopping guilt free.

Thank goodness I have not needed it for medical - but I could now see that there would be needed peace of mind if that happened.

Can you say the name of the insurance company if not email me at swilli2512 at rogers.com. They sound like a good company if you could just call them up and they gave you such great options..for the delayed flight..

We buy at least medical evacuation insurance. Our medical insurance cover's services in foreign countries except evacuation at sea. With that in mind it really isn't that much more expensive to get policies with trip cancellation and interuption insurance.

Archived