Would you buy insurance if you are not flying?

luv2gonow

I do not purchase from the cruiseline. It is definately more expensive.

the only scenario where the Cruiseline's insurance is less expensive (still the same not great coverage) is when you're above age 70 or so, as the cruiseline Policy doesn not factor age as do the 3rd party policies. As you approach upper 70's, I've seen the 3rd party policies approach several times the cost of the cruiseline insurance. ken

Is that how much it cost???? 50 -100???? Total cost of cruise is just under 4000 including tax and tips for 2 adults and 1 child.

thanks

You won't include taxes and tips in the amount needed to calculate the cost of the insurance- since if you don't go on the cruise it will be refunded to you.

We are driving to port of Baltimore for our cruise- since we live about 10 minutes away. But we still bought the insurance...you just never know. I feel that with 2 kids (3 and 7)- what would happen if one of them got sick right before the cruise? Can't go when your 3 year has chicken pox... and without insurance we would be SOL for the cost of the cruise.

For a family with kids, I think the insurance is needed, but this is just my personal opinion (and it was under $100 for our policy- I just picked the one with lower missed flight reimbursments since we won't need it anyway...)

Take care,

Diana:)

Originally Posted by luv2gonow

Is that how much it cost???? 50 -100???? Total cost of cruise is just under 4000 including tax and tips for 2 adults and 1 child.

thanks

for a $4000 Cruisefare (as stated earlier you don't include "Govt Fees and Taxes" and pr-paid tips) decent insurance is probably going to be more than $50-$100!!! If you have kid(s) look at TravelInsured and TravelEx Policies that insure kids free with insured adult. If you're member of USAA, look at their TravelInsured Policies which are reduced in price for members. ken

I purchase Carnival insurance immediately with my PVP, even though we are covered for medical with our health insurance. There are so many things that can happen that others have already mentioned. Two cruises ago, my husband's DM passed away the day that we were to leave for our pre-cruise hotel stay. The reps. at Berkely Care were very helpful and efficient while quickly working through this claim.

I guess I'm in the minority. For us, it just doesn't make sense. We are in our 30's, kids are grown, we're healthy and we have a 20 minute car ride to the embarkation port. We never spend more than $1200 total for the cruise, so even if I had to cancel and lose the entire $1200, the money I've saved over the last 10 cruises more than pays for it. So the only thing left for me to worry about is a catastrophic illness or injury abroad. And that's something I just don't worry too much about. The odds of having to be airlifted out of Belize are astronomical. That's a safe bet I think. And like I said previously, if you are that seriously ill or injured that you have to be flown home, are you really gonna be worried about paying for it? I'll find a way. And if I don't make it, I've got plenty of life insurance, and covers me anywhere I die. I can count on one hand the number of medical emergencies we have had on ten cruises. And many of those were people in their 70' and 80's. Even if there's several we don't know about, it's just not a big risk.

Just before leaving the port at Cozumel on the Triumph 2 weeks ago, a man was put into an ambulance. A gentleman watching from his balcony below me, said that the wife had their luggage with her. I certainly hope that they had insurance coverage and that he recovered.

It's a nickname given to me by my DD. At horseshows, if she called Mom, 10 people answered. And there was another Mom with my name, so it was her 12 year old choice for me. At least I am smart enough to cover my a** and buy insurance.

I don't begrudge you your choice. I would never say someone who buys insurance is stupid. I just thought it was funny to be called stupid by an airhead. I mean, that is kinda funny, isn't it? Certainly we all take risks. I just have less risk than someone who is very old, and/or infirm, and/or flies from a nothern climate in the winter, etc. My circumstances (young, healthy adults, travelling without kids, live in Tampa, cab ride to the port if my car spontaneously combusts, etc) negate many of the things people buy insurance for. Several people have posted things about accidents happenning before the cruise. In that case, your regular health insurance would cover your care and all you'd be out is the cost of the cruise. In my case, that's OK, because I've saved enough by not buying insurance to cover it if I had to eat it once. Everybody's different. That doesn't make them unintelligent, airhead.

There is no predicting when something unforseen may happen.. apendisitis, broken limb, stroke, heart attack,accident. Life is fragile. The last thing I want to have to worry about is the cost of an evacuation or being stuck in a third world country and their medical facilities. I have been on two cruises now that there has been evacuations on. Insuremytrip.com is a wonderful site with many plans.. very affordable. I would be less worried about flight delay... anybody can cover that if they had to, but an evacuation and an emergency hospital stay would really hurt the average family.

Call me a thrillseeker or dumb, but I never buy insurance even if I am flying. Eventually my luck will run out and I'll pay a big penalty, but we take one or two "big" trips a year, and so far I've never needed it, which over 20 years has more than paid for the one that will go south eventually.

Our medical insurance covers us overseas, so that's not an issue.

Fingers crossed for our next trip in May.

Read this.. http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/money/insurance/travel-insurance-5-07/overview/0507_travel_ov.htm Oh, and while I was googling, I also found 500 links on why travel insurance is so important, all of them also offerred to sell me travel insurance.. Go figure.. Consumer reports. Expert. Independant. Nonprofit.

It sounds like you are looking to commiserate here, right?:) That's not a bad thing...but...it doesn't change anything....so yes, get the insurance and get the passport and call your medical insurance carrier and ask them about what happens if you are out of the country. People do trips like you are planning to do everyday...so please stop for a moment...and.. ...do what you need to do and enjoy your trip.........You do want to go, right?

Yeah....guess i'm just *itchin...

OK......i think it will buy it

Question......for the posters that buy insurance....do you buy insurance with all of your vacations....or just cruises???

thanks

K.

another question. the policy im looking at regards a lot of the luggage things and evac things as secondary insurance. i dont have any personal insurance at all (im not a homeowner so no homeowners ins, no health ins, no renters ins.) so would the travel ins cover it right away or would there be any issues? the main reason i want the travel ins this time is for baggage claims, and travel issues.

We never bought the insurance until a 14-year-old member of our group broke his leg playing basketball on the ship, and needed to be treated on-board in the infirmary for 36 hours, then flown home from Grand Cayman.

I can get a medical-only policy for the two of us for less than $50. I don't bother with the trip cancellation insurance. We're unlikely to cancel, and after 10 cruises of not buying it I figure we're self-insured against losing our cruise fare if we have to cancel at the last minute.

Fave site for buying insurance: squaremouth dot com -- similar to insuremytrip but a little cheaper.

Have fun on your cruise. Hope you never need your insurance.

Mary Ellen

p.s. Edited to add: in response to the OP's question, we never fly commercially to the cruise. We usually take DH's Cessna 182, or drive. But we still buy the insurance.

I have seen a couple of my friends families destroyed by a catastrophic illness or accident. I mean losing their homes, posessions...everything. Their way of life is altered forever. This is even with health insurance. For example, patient had copd, required transplant, he lived but his life is now spent trying to figure out how to make it financially.

I use Travelguard, the basic coverage based on cost of trip, covers everything I might need....evac, medical, luggage, trip interrupt, cancellation. TA friend has used it numerous times and said they are great.

so what should you include in the trip cost? just cruise fare and airfare?

It does not have to be exact. They have brackets with a price range. Just be sure it is money you actually spend...ie frequent flier tickets or hotel purchased with points, you can not recoup.

I don't insure trips unless it involves leaving the country. My health insurance covers me here. I get the trip ins. for the medical, but it is so inexpensive and covers much more. A good investment for peace of mind. My TA friend is currently in Hawaii with a group, minus one member snow in in DC. Bet she is glad her 4000.00 trip was covered!

Read this.. http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/money/insurance/travel-insurance-5-07/overview/0507_travel_ov.htm Oh, and while I was googling, I also found 500 links on why travel insurance is so important, all of them also offerred to sell me travel insurance.. Go figure.. Consumer reports. Expert. Independant. Nonprofit.

You might want to consider one category of policies, emergency medical assistance, if your health is precarious, you’re traveling overseas, and your insurance is unlikely to cover you.

This is from your link. I think a cruise would be considered overseas.

I just thought it was funny to be called stupid by an airhead. I mean, that is kinda funny, isn't it?

Yes, I get a lot of grief over the nickname but there it is.:D I did not mean to call you stupid, but I guess in my ...uh...middle age I am not willing to risk losing everything I have worked so hard for. Unlikely...yes...but possible. Worth 40. or 50. dollars for sure.

Archived