Please help me understand benefit of TA vs Online TA vs direct booking w/cruiseline!

wheredowegonext

I hope I can get some clarification/insight. I've spent hours & hours reading posts and have learned a lot here (thank you all so much!), but I still have TA-related questions... DH & I tried cruising by taking a last-minute 4-day RT to Bahamas in January and we loved it! (Not the Bahamas so much:(, but cruising itself:).)

We've decided to do Western Med in 2011. I met with a local TA and came away asking "what can she do that I can't do myself?" (BTW, I am comfortable planning trips online & love doing the research and planning.)

I asked about price drops; she said yes, before final pmt. She told me that she cannot book at a price lower than the cruise's advertised price. I asked about booking flights, she said I could probably do that myself since we collect miles and are loyal to a particular airline. I asked about tours (letting her know we have a preference for non-ship tours) and she said I can do that myself too. She never mentioned OBC, etc. When I said I'd seen a current cruise (of the type we're looking at) offered with $200-$300 OBC on a web travel site if booked w/a specific credit card, she never said she could do something similar.

Another fact (and please excuse me if I'm going on too long...) is that she cruises at least 12 times a year! In fact she'd just returned from a 2-wk Caribbean B2B on the Oasis. She was very nice, professional, etc., but afterwards I wondered: how can she be on top of things if she's away 12-16 weeks a year? Is she using her commissions to cruise herself rather than offering OBC's or whatever to her clients? This is a 3-person office in a small town and I liked the idea of giving my buisiness to a local company. BUT -- I want the lowest possible price for myself, and always look for good deals! Should I look for another TA, maybe a bigger company, or just go ahead and troll the web sites looking for a good deal? Or book early with the cruise line so I can get the cabin we want, then if/when I see a better deal online transfer the booking to an online TA, or to this local TA? Any help/insight/suggestions will be gratefully appreciated!!

If you are quite comfortable booking everything yourself -- it sounds like you are -- then you don't need a TA. Many folks have never used a TA; others use them on occasion: for example, for my next vacation the air flights were challenging..into one foreign country, out from another, etc...so I used an agent. I'm glad I did, as the flights have been changed 3 times already, since I booked! But otherwise, I've booked all our past cruises directly through the cruise line, and bought my own air.

Sometimes some agents offer on board credits..but usually it's no more than $50 - $100..hardly worth the inconvenience, if you feel confident about booking yourself. Sometimes they'll throw in a bottle of wine.

I usually recommend a TA to someone very new to cruising, and/or very new to vacationing, who have lots of pretty basic questions that they're asking. But you sound quite capable of handling this yourself!

The travel agent you talked to in your home town is giving you good advice. She’s sharing with you things you can do to keep your cost down. Suggesting that you book your own flights if you want to use your miles for a “free ticket” is standard practice. The airlines only allow the holder of the frequent flyer account to book free flights. As a travel agent we can work with you to purchase tickets and then use miles to upgrade the flights. But there is a fee for this service. If you trip involves overseas travel she may have access to discounted air fare or plane tickets that you don’t have to purchase until after you make final payment for your cruise. She should be able to match or beat rates you find on line for pre & post cruise hotels.

Booking independent shore excursions can be done by a travel agent, but they are usually tours in non-English speaking countries with an English speaking guide with a non-English speaking driver in a private car. This is not something used by people on a budget. If you are looking for a snorkeling trip to “Sting Ray City” you would find more economical recommendations here on the Cruise Critic Ports of Call Boards.

So why use a travel agent?

· They can help you find the right cruise line and ship for your travel style and budget.

· Using just the cruise line web sites and/or brochures will give you a slanted picture to make you want to buy. An experienced travel agent will be able to point out potential problems.

· They won’t charge more than booking directly with the cruise line. If cruise line A won’t undercut the travel agents price for fear that travel agents would stop selling cruise line A and start selling cruise line B.

· Cruise lines vet the agencies that sell their product. The luxury cruise lines don’t even allow you to book on line or directly with them.

· In addition to matching the cruise lines price, a travel agent may have space available in their block of group space that the cruise lines doesn’t have available to the general public.

· Depending on the cruise line and the specific voyage chosen travel agents may give on board credit, lower group fares, priority on table assignments, cabin upgrades and gifts of wine, photos, premium dining, pre-paid gratuities, etc.

· If the agency belongs to a consortium – American Express, Virtuoso, AAA, etc. they may give additional on board credit or complementary shore excursions.

· If the agency is having a “cruise night” they may offer even more on board credit.

· Using certain credit cards can also give you on board credit.

· If something goes wrong you are on your own to rebook flights, get yourself to the ship, find a hotel, etc..

I wouldn’t worry about the agent you taking 12 cruises a year. Ask how things are handled when she isn’t in the office. Many cruises are 3 nights or less, so chances are she isn’t gone a lot during normal Monday through Friday hours. As a travel agent who is required to travel 5 weeks a year myself to keep up to date on the changes in hotels & cruise lines my clients can reach me online 24/7 and our office has a staff that can be reach by phone 24/7.

Aunty Pat

Barefoot Windjammer - Phantom ‘81

K&D German Rhine Line ‘84

NCL - Norway ’85, Pride of America ’05, Southward ’87, Star ’97 & ‘05, Starward ’92, Sun ’02 & Windward ’93

RCC - Song of America ‘89

American Hawaiian - Independence ‘98

HAL - Volendam ’99, Noordam ’06, Oosterdam ’07 & ‘09, Statendam ’02 & ‘08, Prinsendam ’03 & ’06, & Zuiderdam ’04, ’06 & ’07, Westerdam ‘09

Carnival - Spirit ‘05

Celebrity – Summit ‘05

Cruise West - Yorktown Clipper ‘06

Princess - Golden Princess ‘07

A & K - East Queen ‘07

Cunard - QM2 ’08

Crystal – Serenity ‘09

Pending Cruises:

Oceania – Insignia, June 17, 2010

This topic is somewhat delicate on CC as many have strong feelings and there are also quite a few TAs who post on these boards (many do not identify themselves as TAs). So, having booked more than 50 cruises over many years with all kinds of TAs here is my take on the subject. We no longer have any loyalty to TAs because, to a great degree, they have simply become "order takers." Having spent more than 2 years of our life on cruise ships we have discovered that most "so-called" cruise experts at local TAs do not really have anymore knowledge than somebody who reads these boards. So, the question is what to do? Personally, we have built our own list of on-line TAs (currently 6 different agencies) and when we decide to book a cruise we price out the cruise with each TA (only takes a few minutes on-line). We also check the cruise line's website for direct bookings, but we have never (and I mean never) found any cruise line that will match the prices of some TAs. My recommendation is to simply shop around on several reputable on-line TAs for the best deal (you need to factor in things like pre-paid gratuities, on-board credits, etc) and than book with whoever has the beat deal. My only warning is to check the policy of any TA regarding cancellation since some agencies do charge cancellation fees and others do not. Only book a cruise using a major credit card (this gives you some protection). After booking a cruise make sure you get the cruise lines booking number within a few days. Than go to the cruise line site, log-on (you can register with most major cruise lines) and make sure that your booking does exist and that the details are all correct. As to those who think this is all a waste of time we are aware of one man who saved nearly $10,000 by shopping around (it was a very expensive cruise) and we ourselves have saved thousands of dollars by using this simply method. Many cruise lines really do try to control the TA pricing these days, but there are still variations due to special incentives, group rates, promotions, etc.

Hank

This topic is somewhat delicate on CC as many have strong feelings and there are also quite a few TAs who post on these boards (many do not identify themselves as TAs). So, having booked more than 50 cruises over many years with all kinds of TAs here is my take on the subject. We no longer have any loyalty to TAs because, to a great degree, they have simply become "order takers." Having spent more than 2 years of our life on cruise ships we have discovered that most "so-called" cruise experts at local TAs do not really have anymore knowledge than somebody who reads these boards. So, the question is what to do? Personally, we have built our own list of on-line TAs (currently 6 different agencies) and when we decide to book a cruise we price out the cruise with each TA (only takes a few minutes on-line). We also check the cruise line's website for direct bookings, but we have never (and I mean never) found any cruise line that will match the prices of some TAs. My recommendation is to simply shop around on several reputable on-line TAs for the best deal (you need to factor in things like pre-paid gratuities, on-board credits, etc) and than book with whoever has the beat deal. My only warning is to check the policy of any TA regarding cancellation since some agencies do charge cancellation fees and others do not. Only book a cruise using a major credit card (this gives you some protection). After booking a cruise make sure you get the cruise lines booking number within a few days. Than go to the cruise line site, log-on (you can register with most major cruise lines) and make sure that your booking does exist and that the details are all correct. As to those who think this is all a waste of time we are aware of one man who saved nearly $10,000 by shopping around (it was a very expensive cruise) and we ourselves have saved thousands of dollars by using this simply method. Many cruise lines really do try to control the TA pricing these days, but there are still variations due to special incentives, group rates, promotions, etc.

Hank

This is great advise and my experience also. Since you do not mind doing the research shop around. Even tho I have a friend that is a ta she never can beat the price I find on the on line agencys. Just be sure that the price you are looking at includes port charges and taxes as you do your comparisions. Happy Hunting!

Several good points above on benefits of using a local TA. An additional point to consider is your local TA pays taxes in your community and spends thier earnings in your community. This is all good for you and your family/neigbours. At some future point you may have a complex travel itinerary or large group that needs a TA expertise. If you don't support a local TA when you can, they will not be there later when you need them.

A TA may be able to suggest a similar cruise to what you are planning on another line or another date at a saving due to specials they are aware of.

Several good points above on benefits of using a local TA. An additional point to consider is your local TA pays taxes in your community and spends thier earnings in your community. This is all good for you and your family/neigbours. At some future point you may have a complex travel itinerary or large group that needs a TA expertise. If you don't support a local TA when you can, they will not be there later when you need them.

A TA may be able to suggest a similar cruise to what you are planning on another line or another date at a saving due to specials they are aware of.

Seems to make good sense and is very much community supportive, but.... there have some posts on here of small local travel agencies going under leaving those that have booked thru them with some risk. I'm not suggesting everyone bail on the local brick and mortars, but some additional thought needs to go into the decision.

We have been fortunate to use a TA that is local to us for over 23 years. We can call her anytime -- stop in and see her anything.

Should we ever lose her -- we would then book with the cruise line directly.

I have read too many horror stories about on-lines agencies so -- JMO -- we would stay away from them.

I have used a couple of online agencies and was always a bit nervous but tracked their progress with my reservation fairly closely. If it were not for incentive (OBC, paid gratuities, etc) then I would book directly with the cruiseline because I prefer control and have yet run into an issue where I've felt I've needed a TA. If I had a small, local place that I thought would give me good service at no direct cost I suppose I might consider them.

Archived