At what point are you out of the US

chadci

No...at a speed of 12 knots per hour you would travel 12 nautical miles in an hour.

I think it is .... "at a speed of 12 knots you would travel 12 nautical mils in an hour." If I remember correctly, knot is a speed, not a distance.

However, there might be a problem if, God forbid, you should board the ship while still docked at the US port of embarkation and injure yourself before the ship even leaves. I'm not sure your US health insurance would cover you. I saw this happen once on a HAL ship when a woman tripped and fell down the stairs on her way to the buffet BEFORE Sailaway. She had a badly sprained ankle, which was treated in the ship's clinic, which does NOT accept any health insurance card. The cost was billed to their ship card, and they had to make a claim through their Trip Insurance policy. Speaking of Trip Insurance (mandatory when leaving the US, IMO), if you don't already have it, it would make a great wedding gift! So would Passports, if you don't have them, either. Congratulations, and have a wonderful wedding and cruise!

I think it is .... "at a speed of 12 knots you would travel 12 nautical mils in an hour." If I remember correctly, knot is a speed, not a distance.

yes Knot is a measure of speed but it is measuring something. 1 Knot = 1 nautical mile per hour

2 knots = 2 nautical miles and etc

Definition

1 international knot = 1 nautical mile per hour = 1.852 kilometres per hour exactly. This is based on the internationally agreed length of the nautical mile, as adopted by the US in 1954 (which previously used the US nautical mile of 1853.248 m)[2], the UK in 1970 (which previously used the UK or Admiralty nautical mile of 1853.184 m) and other countries. This is the definition used in most, if not all, modern circumstances. Knot is sometimes used for the nautical mile itself, but this is incorrect.

The speed of a vessel relative to the fluid in which it travels is usually measured in knots. This may be referred to as 'boat speed', 'vessel speed' and, for aircraft, 'air speed'. The speeds of relevant fluids, such as tidal streams, river currents and wind speeds, are also usually specified in knots. Knots are then also used to describe the actual speed of a vessel over the ground (SOG) and for its rate of progress toward a distant point

However, there might be a problem if, God forbid, you should board the ship while still docked at the US port of embarkation and injure yourself before the ship even leaves. I'm not sure your US health insurance would cover you. I saw this happen once on a HAL ship when a woman tripped and fell down the stairs on her way to the buffet BEFORE Sailaway. She had a badly sprained ankle, which was treated in the ship's clinic, which does NOT accept any health insurance card. The cost was billed to their ship card, and they had to make a claim through their Trip Insurance policy. Speaking of Trip Insurance (mandatory when leaving the US, IMO), if you don't already have it, it would make a great wedding gift! So would Passports, if you don't have them, either. Congratulations, and have a wonderful wedding and cruise!

Thanks!

We have insurance on the cruise ( not sure it covers the flights) and she got her passport last fall. We should be good to go. My biggest concern is the fact that she loses EVERYTHING. I was teasing her this morning when she left her purse at McDonalds that she would forget something somewhere and run off to get it and the ship and I would sailaway into the sunset ;)

Thanks!

We have insurance on the cruise ( not sure it covers the flights) and she got her passport last fall. We should be good to go. My biggest concern is the fact that she loses EVERYTHING. I was teasing her this morning when she left her purse at McDonalds that she would forget something somewhere and run off to get it and the ship and I would sailaway into the sunset ;)

Ha ha! Make copies of EVERYTHING! (Including trip insurance policy and purse) Keep originals in your cabin safe, and leave copies with family/friends. Take copies on shore along with ship's daily newsletter. Gonna be a challenge to make color copies of both sides of that Gucci purse, though! So....now you have piqued our interest! What date, ship, and itinerary?? If you're on Carnival, another great wedding gift idea would be Fun Dollars - pre paid ship credit. Take it, man! You guys sound like a really fun couple, and I'm sure you'll have a great time!

In the Gulf of Mexico, Florida claims 9 nautical miles as their State Waters. U.S. Customs waters extend to 12 Nautical miles.

6 Minute Rule - Speed traveled in knots divded by 10 equals distance traveled in 6 minutes.

ex...at 20 knots, you will travel 2 nautical miles in 6 minutes.

Archived