How's the rocking on the Crown ??

mezza

Cruised in Sep-Oct and on the New England it did rock, but we weren't "staggering" around. Gentle roll. And a gentle rock. No one fell or "hurled" while I walked around. A few patches for the land lubbers were spotted

Hi,

My first cruise was on the Crown in May 2007 from New York to the Caribbeans; I was quite nervous about rocking but then disappointed that we did not feel anything at all! I guess it all depends on the sea conditions, weather, winds, etc.. In May 2008, we took the Caribbean Princess and it was a little more rocky but nothing to be worried about.

Enjoy your cruise!

We took the Crown last summer around the British Isles. I had read about the rocking on the Crown, and that coupled with our going through the North Sea, had me worried about the movement. But, we had calm seas, and the Crown had no discernible rocking. In fact, we felt that about 95% of the time you didn't even realize you were on a moving ship. And, our cabin was aft. So, go and don't worry. It is a beautiful ship.

We have been on her twice in the last year, and will be again next month, and no significant problems at all. I think there was a time 2-3 years ago that there was some problems with the controls causing more motion than normal, but we haven't experienced anything unusual on her in the past year.

Mike

The first two days out of Fort Lauderdale at the beginning of November were a bit rough but we were travelling at speed because of a change of itinerary.

We were in an aft cabin and it was more of a rapid "bump, bump, bump, bump" as if you were going over rocks.

It wasn`t anything we couldn`t cope with and I have felt worse on other ships.

I sailed on the Crown in November for the last 2 years. Both weeks there were hurricanes in the Caribbean. There was some rocking, but nothing bad. I think it does depend on the weather. The only thing that I really noticed was in 2008, I had an aft cabin on Riviera and it could get quite jerky. It woke me sometimes. It wasn't bad, though.

Cruise on the Crown last June, not a lot of rocking was felt. We had fairly calm to moderate seas. We also did the Ultimate Ships tour. On the bridge the captain (whose name escapes me) explained he was the captain when the ship listed on a previous cruise. Someone on the tour asked if the problem was fixed. He asked if the person wasn't aboard the ship..then he said the ship wouldn't be sailing if it hadn't been.

I wouldn't worry about rocking!

Laura

PS our dinner partners, a lovely couple, stated that she had been in the cabin (seasick) on previous cruises and was skeptical this cruise. She was happy and at dinner every night!

We took the Crown across the North Atlantic last fall, from Southampton to NYC via Iceland, etc. The weather was cold, rough and lots of heavy sea. It was a nice trip, no objectionable ship roll, and no discomfort, even tho we did miss a few scheduled ports because of the weather. All in all, it was a very enjoyable trip.

There has been a lot of discussion in the past about the rocking movement of the Crown Princess even in calm seas - more than other ships. Can anyone who is currently cruising, care to comment
Not sure where this rumor started but the answer is, "No, the Crown doesn't rock any more than any of it's sister ships."

Only someone on the bridge with training along with access to nautical charts and data would be able to compare one sister ship to another. There are so many variables such as wind direction and speed, wave height, direction and speed, ship's direction and speed, ocean current direction and speed... well, hope you get the picture. The possibility of duplicating any of those exact variables is slim and impossible for the casual observer.

Yes, in certain winds and seas, a ship with a lot of decks will be affected more than a smaller ship but then a smaller ship is probably more prone to be affected by wave height. Even that generality must be tempered by each ship's hull design, draft, and even the paint job.

You're on a ship on an ocean or sea, and it's going to rock; sometimes more than others. It's not the Marriott.

>Pam in CA

>Not sure where this rumor started but the answer is, "No, the Crown doesn't rock any more than any of it's sister ships."

Only someone on the bridge with training along with access to nautical charts and data would be able to compare one sister ship to another. There are so many variables such as wind direction and speed, wave height, direction and speed, ship's direction and speed, ocean current direction and speed... well, hope you get the picture. The possibility of duplicating any of those exact variables is slim and impossible for the casual observer.

Yes, in certain winds and seas, a ship with a lot of decks will be affected more than a smaller ship but then a smaller ship is probably more prone to be affected by wave height. Even that generality must be tempered by each ship's hull design, draft, and even the paint job.

Not heard about paint job?

But you summed it up. Not sure who started that urban legend?

Also, I know from Florida pleasure boating it is possible to get a 'double set' wave condition. Waves created by wind from one direction and storm rollers from a different direction. Can get nasty. Been there, done that.

Since the Crown, Ruby and Emerald Princess are similar hull designs there shouldn't

be much difference between them.

By the way, these ships all have adjustable 'stabilizer wings' that extend about 16 feet or so out from the hull, several fathoms under the waterline, when cruising. It takes unusual sea, wind, current conditions combined with ships speed and heading to render these stabilizers ineffectual.

Bad weather and all bets are off.

But hey, it's a floating object on a liquid...expect some movement!

Personally a little rolling just puts me to sleep. :):):)

There has been a lot of discussion in the past about the rocking movement of the Crown Princess even in calm seas - more than other ships. Can anyone who is currently cruising, care to comment

It all depends on how many "honeymoon couples" are onboard!!!! ;)

I do like some movement to remind me I am on the sea and expect to sway in heavy seas. It appears that the majority of people think the Crown is no different to any other ship. It is unfortunate that some posts still refer to this 'myth', so hopefully this will put it to rest :)

Even that generality must be tempered by each ship's hull design, draft, and even the paint job.

Not heard about paint job?

When a ship goes into dry dock, the hull is scraped and painted with a Teflon paint. By removing barnicles and repainting the ship, it moves through the water better. :) Doesn't matter whether it's a cruise ship or a 10' sailboat.

I do like some movement to remind me I am on the sea and expect to sway in heavy seas.
We like the movement too. I like knowing I'm on a ship and the rocking helps me sleep better. :)

Archived