Bathing Suit?

cmelendez6604

I can't help you with where to find a suit..but I can reccomend bringing 2 suits with you rather than one. Something I learned after my first cruise..unless you have a balony, your one suit wont dry out from day to day. Nothing worse then putting on a wet suit!

Good luck in your search..

Shawn

In your mid-20's, you SHOULD be into small suits!!! You're probably in the best shape of your life!

If you have a swimsuit store (not a dept. store) that ONLY sells swimwear, check it out! You really need to try on suits.....not all suits fit the same...you HAVE to see it on your body!

Land's End is for older women...they are "frumpy" suits.

Go out and look...try them on! You're 20 something...anything will look great!

cb - I swear, do you just make this stuff up as you go along?

Someone earlier mentioned Newport News online. They have the same thing as Spiegel online. Their Shape Fx fits me well - and true to size. I have this one on order (Shape Fx tankini with convertable straps), and have ordered 4 other suits last year, 3 of them the Shape Fx, and one not, and kept all four; 2 one-shouldered 1-pieces, 1 corset style 1-piece, and a bright pink 2-piece. They have fantastic styles and have fit me well. I've paid $29.99-$49.99. Search online for promo codes. I found one for this order and got 25% off!

S1029059_SFX10_045?$216x270$

In your mid-20's, you SHOULD be into small suits!!! You're probably in the best shape of your life!

If you have a swimsuit store (not a dept. store) that ONLY sells swimwear, check it out! You really need to try on suits.....not all suits fit the same...you HAVE to see it on your body!

Land's End is for older women...they are "frumpy" suits.

Go out and look...try them on! You're 20 something...anything will look great!

I beg to differ about Lands End. I've bought their one and two-piece suits for many years since my early 30's (definitely not an older woman). I'm tallish and very long-waisted and on the thin side, and their "long" sizing fits me perfectly, especially a one-piece. Their suits are well made and last a long time. You can also order tops and bottoms in different sizes. I never had anything on top to "hang out", but was always able to find a great fit. I'm now in my 60's, and still wear their tankinis and one pieces, and absolutely do not feel "frumpy"!

I love Coco Reef, sold at Macy's and Dillard's and other online stores. They are sold in separates and by bra sizes and they have many different styles of 2 piece combinations. I like to wear halter bra tops and mini skirt bottoms which start just above the belly button. I wear size L bottom and 34D tops and they look really cute.

P.S. they even make plus sizes

I have to disagree with the statement about cheap bathing suits. I have two suits from Wal*Mart. One is nearly 7 years old, the other about 5 years old. They're nothing fancy, just the Catalina brand sold there, but they've held up through quite a few vacations and beach trips with no ill effects, no fabric pilling, nothing. I think I paid $10 or less for each one. When I see bathing suits sold for $40, $50, even over $100, I just have to roll my eyes. For less than a yard--in most cases, much less than half a yard--of fabric, they want to charge that much? Insane.

I won't shop at Wal*Mart any more for various reasons, but I do wish it was easier to find inexpensive bathing suits. I cover mine up with surf shirts and board shorts anyway, so why should I spend any kind of good money for one?

Have you worn them in chlorinated water?

The last cheap suit I purchased was from Stein Mart, I don't remember what I paid, probably around $15. It lasted less than a summer.

During summer months I'm in the pool a lot at work (sounds lovely, right :rolleyes:). I work with special needs kids and we do water therapy. Cheap suits definitely do not hold up to chlorine, sun and heat. I rinse them in cool water and hang them out of the sun to dry, but it's still hot. Lands' End suits I have purchased in the past last up to 3 swim seasons.

My idea of value is something that lasts, so your inexpensive suits have been of value to you. I haven't had the same luck with cheap suits, the suit fades quickly and the elastic is dead within a couple months. There is no way I'm going to be in our school pool (the office people can see us as well as anyone else who passes by) in an elastically challenged swim suits. Especially lifting students back into wheelchairs, you need all the coverage you can get ;)

I've even had Target brand suits get crunchy after a few wearings. Weird.

I have to disagree with the statement about cheap bathing suits. I have two suits from Wal*Mart. One is nearly 7 years old, the other about 5 years old. They're nothing fancy, just the Catalina brand sold there, but they've held up through quite a few vacations and beach trips with no ill effects, no fabric pilling, nothing. I think I paid $10 or less for each one. When I see bathing suits sold for $40, $50, even over $100, I just have to roll my eyes.

I guess I could roll my eyes at $10 suits...but I don't.:) If the cheaper ones work for you fine....we all have our own reasons for how much we choose to spend on a swimsuit, be it $40 and up.;)

For less than a yard--in most cases, much less than half a yard--of fabric, they want to charge that much? Insane.

I guess that would be nice if the price of clothing was based on the amount of fabric used, but it's not.;)

I won't shop at Wal*Mart any more for various reasons, but I do wish it was easier to find inexpensive bathing suits.

TJ Maxx, Ross, Marshalls, eBay.:)

I guess that would be nice if the price of clothing was based on the amount of fabric used, but it's not.;)

It's NOT???? I had no idea. I thought that was why comforters are so expensive and pillowcases are so cheap. ;)

I'm hoping to find some good deals at Ross and the other overstock places in a couple of months.

It's NOT???? I had no idea. I thought that was why comforters are so expensive and pillowcases are so cheap. ;)

I'm hoping to find some good deals at Ross and the other overstock places in a couple of months.

Hey, pillow cases might not be as expensive as comforters but they're usually the same price as a sheet.:D

Ross is my friend.:)

I got one a couple of weeks ago at Sam's Club. It is a Caribbean Joe shaper swimsuit. I got it for $30. It is much more expensive online. The only problem is that you can't try them on at Sam's Club. I believe that had some Ann Taylor swimsuits too.

I got a size bigger in the shaper swimsuit that I normally wear. It does make your waist look better. :D

I am also a fan of Victoria's Secret bathing suits, mainly because they come mix and match and they have UNDERWIRE suits available in REAL BRA SIZES!

Depending on your build, "small", "medium", and "large" tops just don't cut it. What if you have a small rib cage with a little more oomph? Or, conversely, what if you're a bit thicker in build but not quite as well endowed? Having a bra size top lets you get something that really fits. A 34D or a 40A isn't really going to fall into an S/M/L sizing category.

They have some that are quite scandalous and some that are a bit more demure (while still sexy and not frumpy at all!) I am in my 20s as well--- don't want to look like grandma, want good support for the girls, but don't want to look like a bimbo either. The last 6 or 7 suits I've bought- one from Land's End, one from Target, and the rest VS- they are winners hands down.

Land's End has a new line, Canvas, that is more for 20-30 age group:

http://canvas.landsend.com/ix/canvas/Canvas/Women/Swim/index.html?catNumbers=2198~2199~2210&store=le&tab=17&cm_re=CV-_-Tab-_-WM-_-F-_-021110

I just got a really cute maillot at TJ Maxx today. They had a lot of different styles, both 1 and 2 pieces. Mine is a cross-back Speedo with soft cup bra and a pretty turquoise/brown/gold print. It cost $16.99. Can't beat that!

I also am challenged in the suit section. like the cute suites at target but they just don't fit the 'girls' well. I finally went to a swim suit store and tried on everything. you have to be in a very good place mentally for this exercise. after finding a suite I liked that fit well, I went online and found the brand at a decent price and knowing the fit I could pick out the print I liked. So the shopping excursion was a scouting trip for the size and cut. I liked swimsystems suites, they come in Bra sizes! which is a godsend if you are a D cup;)

everything but water--they are available in high-end mall stores but you can also purchase from the internet. Always the latest, lots of choices and excellent quality and with designers brand--definitely not frumpy. Victoria's Secret look nice but they don't hold up. You will pay for the quality as the items are very pricey but if you will be using your suit for more than just the cruise, you can buy items that will last through seasons of chlorine and seawater.

I thought the cute little string bikinis were particularly frumpalicious, didn't you? :rolleyes:

I wish I was young enough to wear stodgy suits like those again. ;)

I never wore them, even when I was younger I was not comfortable in a bikini, in my 20s or in my 50s.

I found a cute but kinda plain black swimdress on ebay. Its listed pretty cheap,and I didnt bid much,like ten bucks. I may go up in my bid,but probably not by much. Its simple and in my size,and if it does not fit, I can give it to a friend that it probably will. I know Ive not tried it on,but still, I cant spend 50 bucks on a swim suit I wont wear much in the summer. I dont have a pool,or anything. Ill wear it on the cruise and some planned camping trips though.

I guess if you know how a particular brand fits you,then ebay might be the place to look.:)

I did look at the lands End overstock page. They really do have some cute stuff over there,for any age, IMO.

I never wore them, even when I was younger I was not comfortable in a bikini, in my 20s or in my 50s.

I very much feel ya!I only wore a 2 piece when I was 17 and 18. then at 19 I had a baby,and my hips and tummy have never been the same. So a one piece it is for ole Sarah.

Hey Everyone,

Just wondering where you buy your bathing suit? I am in my mid 20's and not into the itsy bitsy teenie weenie little bikini thing anymore..lol....So I'm trying to find a cute bathing suit and am having no such luck!!! I don't want it ALL to hang out :eek: but I don't want an all plain one piece either!!

Where do you shop? Any pictures would also be appreciated!!! :D

try Venus swimwear. You can look them up online. They have really cute stuff and different choices in the bottom styles, some skimpier and also some with more coverage.Also, their enhancer bra styles top fit great and give support and cleavage without having it all hang out.They sell tops and bottoms in different sizes and also check out the sale and clearance section of the website.

Just a quick reminder story ( I had posted this mid-last year) . At an AI resort in Cancun, I leaned over to wash my hands in the bathroom. I heard this popping sound and suddenly felt the cool breeze on the "girls". The plastic hook-thing on the back of my bikini top had choosen to break at that moment. Thank goodness I was in the bathroom! Anyway, I removed the pollero (sp?) wrap around my waist and tied it around my chest. Thankfully, I quickly found my husband, since I didn't have the room key, and scooted to the room to change swim suits. If your suit has a plastic hook on the back, you can easily change it out for a metal hook. You should be able to find these in the fabric department of WalMart or any local craft type store. This small project might just save you a major embarrasment! I told this story to a good friend of mine, and she stated the same thing had happened to her on the first wearing of her suit. Guess they just don't make plastic like they used to!

Just a quick reminder story ( I had posted this mid-last year) . At an AI resort in Cancun, I leaned over to wash my hands in the bathroom. I heard this popping sound and suddenly felt the cool breeze on the "girls". The plastic hook-thing on the back of my bikini top had choosen to break at that moment. Thank goodness I was in the bathroom! Anyway, I removed the pollero (sp?) wrap around my waist and tied it around my chest. Thankfully, I quickly found my husband, since I didn't have the room key, and scooted to the room to change swim suits. If your suit has a plastic hook on the back, you can easily change it out for a metal hook. You should be able to find these in the fabric department of WalMart or any local craft type store. This small project might just save you a major embarrasment! I told this story to a good friend of mine, and she stated the same thing had happened to her on the first wearing of her suit. Guess they just don't make plastic like they used to!

I was sitting on a deck chair in my when my plastic clip gave way. Surprise! Luckily my husband was nearby and I covered up with his t-shirt. As it was the only bathing suit I had on the trip, I got a needle and thread from my sewing kit and sewed the ends of my top together so that I could still wear it. It was a bit tricky to get it on like that, but I managed and didn't have to shell out for a new suit on the spot.

ALL of my Victoria's Secret bikini tops have METAL clips! I won't buy suits with plastic ones again.

Archived