Do the "Cheerleaders" help or harm NCL?

cruznut1111

"Dangerous" problems on Jade.:rolleyes: Give me a break. We had a great cruise on her little more than a year ago. Talk about overwrought nonsense."

This is a perfect example of what was mentioned above it, and has been exquisitely dealt with by someone else with their 'spot-on' Toyota analogy.

If it had been posted as a windup, it would have been an all-time classic, but sadly I believe the writer was, in fact, serious.

You and mktt clearly have no clue as to what "dangerous" means. And none about sickness on a ship. One of the problems with bashers is that so many--and here are two "exquisite" examples--don't know what they're talking about.

Ok, I am a newbie to CC. I have been on 2 other cruises on another line and will be taking my first NCL cruise in March. I joined CC to get the most out of my vacation, tips on cruising, shore excursions and to meet others on my cruise in my roll call. I have done all of those things and in that respect CC has been a satisfying experience.

It has also provided me with some great entertainment! However, just last night I was relating to DH how personal some of the comments can get on here...not to mention just down right mean spirited. If a person has a negative experience they should share it, without being "Poo Pooed" as an NCL basher.

A wise CC poster advised me to be careful what I read because it could taint my expectations. As an intelligent individual I am capable of dismissing overly negative postings, just as I have come to dismiss those by the "20 postings a day" overly positive group.

Relax people....it's vacation!

Ok, I am a newbie to CC. I have been on 2 other cruises on another line and will be taking my first NCL cruise in March. I joined CC to get the most out of my vacation, tips on cruising, shore excursions and to meet others on my cruise in my roll call. I have done all of those things and in that respect CC has been a satisfying experience.

It has also provided me with some great entertainment! However, just last night I was relating to DH how personal some of the comments can get on here...not to mention just down right mean spirited. If a person has a negative experience they should share it, without being "Poo Pooed" as an NCL basher.

A wise CC poster advised me to be careful what I read because it could taint my expectations. As an intelligent individual I am capable of dismissing overly negative postings, just as I have come to dismiss those by the "20 postings a day" overly positive group.

Relax people....it's vacation!

I share your point of view - to the extent that it is aimed at overly positive AND overly negative. I am a self-professed cheerleader and I am also turned off by the mean-spirited nature of some of the posts, but I see it on both sides. That's why I don't understand the finger pointing at one side or the other.

One thing in defense of the cheerleaders: Much of the helpful information newbies receive about cruising NCL is coming from those of us who love it. The people who have had one bad experience on a cruiseline are not going to have the depth of experience that I have come to count on here on CC. I learn new things all the time that enrich my cruising vacation and I am forever grateful to the veteran regulars who make that possible.

But I, like you, try to keep it all in perspective. It IS vacation. :)

You and mktt clearly have no clue as to what "dangerous" means. And none about sickness on a ship. One of the problems with bashers is that so many--and here are two "exquisite" examples--don't know what they're talking about.

On my second NCL cruise they took three dead bodies off the ship at the first port. Is that dangerous?

Hey sjbdtz

Not once have I mentioned compensation so please stop with that accusation.

I've beaten the same drum since I got home. Having first hand knowledge of how hospitals deal with similar issues, and having a pretty good handle on how assisted living centres deal with outbreaks. I am disappointed at the quality of cleaning on the Jade. I never expected hospital levels of cleaning...but I certainly at the least expected assisted living standards.

At a quick glance, it appears as if they are doing a lot. There are staff visible, they mix the solution to be cloudy so you can see where they wiped (however you can also see all the spots they missed), they staff and control the entrances to places that serve and/or sell food. Looks good, however when you pay attention and watch, they are missing spots, the attention to detail isn't at the level that's required, and the overall plan is barely the bare minimum.

I try to be fair and aknowledge in almost all my posts that the housekeeping staff is over worked and underqualified for the additional work that's been thrown their way.

The fact is...and it's backed up by the literature on the subject (since I've been back I've cited references) that while the level of tidiness might be acceptable, the level of cleanliness is not. That fact is also made worse by the fact that there are no EU standards as of yet and the Jade is not required to meet CDC standards.

Same stuff, pretty much every post...and never once have I asked for compensation.

On my second NCL cruise they took three dead bodies off the ship at the first port. Is that dangerous?

But how did they die? Old age? Accident? Waiting for dinner?

Surely you don't mean they died from Norovirus?

sjbdtz, you have frequently referred to the fact you were on this ship about 4 months ago. You also know that we were also on that cruise in the Black Sea. Unlike you, we were also on the ship earlier this month and even you must agree that makes me better placed than you to assess the scale of the problem and the atmosphere on board.

It was a totally different experience, and ship, than the one you enjoyed....why can't you accept that fact. For the record we enjoyed the cruise, and are already anticipating the Gem later this year, but for others the experience was traumatic....that is a fact, not speculation!

Must say I was pleasantly surprised by the civility of most of the posts (whichever side you supported) to the thread I inadvertently started. I do stand by everything I said, just was a bit surprised last night when the computer snatched and posted my thread mid-thought. Would I have done a bit more editing? Yes, but I can work with what I said.

First I will defend my use of the term "cheerleader." In my observation I would not call every fan or loyalist of NCL a "cheerleader." I am very much a fan/ loyalist - soon to be Platinum - of NCL myself. I love to see the successes, hate when they stumble, but I don't go on attack when others don't see them the same way.

I do get very concerned when fair criticism (or even unfair criticism) gets pile-on blastings. Why didn't I ask about "bashers"? There is consistency between action and purpose for most of them. Could they, with sweet reason be saved as NCL clients? Perhaps.

For the "cheerleader" the message they intend may get lost in the vitriol they spew.

I have absolutely no problem admitting that I am an NCL cheerleader....I do agree that when something negative is said about NCL there are those on the boards that will bash you for saying it.

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree here. I have read many of your posts and they seem to be balanced and thought out. You also don't make harsh personal attacks. So I might call you a big fan or loyalist, but not a "cheerleader."

Most people can read a thread and tell the intention of whoever is posting.

Okay, I really have to say I disagree with the "intuitive intention analysis" after reading all the posts reading into my intention with this thread.:p

"Dangerous" problems on Jade.:rolleyes: Give me a break. We had a great cruise on her little more than a year ago. Talk about overwrought nonsense.

Others have well expressed most of my opinions on this kind of unreasoned, unneccessarily crude posting. (BTW- I have also been on the Jade a bit more than a year ago and wouldn't dream of overriding a more current experience.)

If this thread does stick around a bit (and stays with a relatively civil tone) I'll be happy to come back and address some more of the issues that were addressed.

Please don't attack each other personally. We should be able to have a great, lively debate without being cruel. Most of us do want the same thing - a great cruise experience.

Nap time now. I'll check in again tonight.

I share your point of view - to the extent that it is aimed at overly positive AND overly negative. I am a self-professed cheerleader and I am also turned off by the mean-spirited nature of some of the posts, but I see it on both sides. That's why I don't understand the finger pointing at one side or the other.

One thing in defense of the cheerleaders: Much of the helpful information newbies receive about cruising NCL is coming from those of us who love it. The people who have had one bad experience on a cruiseline are not going to have the depth of experience that I have come to count on here on CC. I learn new things all the time that enrich my cruising vacation and I am forever grateful to the veteran regulars who make that possible.

But I, like you, try to keep it all in perspective. It IS vacation. :)

Perfect....;)

Lovers vs haters... A forum site feeds on drama. This site needs all the extremes and moderates to keep things interesting. If you don't like drama, you wouldn't be reading page 5 of this thread.

LMAO, I'm reading page 5! Don't tell my daughter because I told her I hated all the drama!!!

It seems to me that if a "cheerleader" has in excess of 20,000 posts like someone on the NCL boards, someone has a vested interest in one way or another. 20,000 posts far exceed it being a "hobby". Just my 2 cents....

you are talking about me, I have been posting for years and I do not only post on NCL. I read and post on many boards as this is part of my job. Well, posting isn't, but reading what others are saying is...Why would you say something stupid like that? I notice you were born in 2000 and started posting in 2003, very interesting. Obviously if you started posting in 2003 and have almost no posts, you also have no clue as to what is happening in the cruise business or what is being said on these boards.

Nita

You see this is the part I dont get . I see you favor Carnivore cruise line , My least preferred line . Because of the experience I had on one of their ships I choose to never sail them again (tried twice), they could not pay me to.

Here's the thing , do you know how many times I've been back to the Carny board

here on CC ?? Zero , I'd rather spend my time talking about positive things and helping others than whining about a bad experience that happened years ago.

All Im saying is Let go , its OK ;)

Edit:: OH ya , Sis Boom Bah

I swear you and I think so much alike.

Must say I was pleasantly surprised by the civility of most of the posts (whichever side you supported) to the thread I inadvertently started. I do stand by everything I said, just was a bit surprised last night when the computer snatched and posted my thread mid-thought. Would I have done a bit more editing? Yes, but I can work with what I said.

First I will defend my use of the term "cheerleader." In my observation I would not call every fan or loyalist of NCL a "cheerleader." I am very much a fan/ loyalist - soon to be Platinum - of NCL myself. I love to see the successes, hate when they stumble, but I don't go on attack when others don't see them the same way.

I do get very concerned when fair criticism (or even unfair criticism) gets pile-on blastings. Why didn't I ask about "bashers"? There is consistency between action and purpose for most of them. Could they, with sweet reason be saved as NCL clients? Perhaps.

For the "cheerleader" the message they intend may get lost in the vitriol they spew.

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree here. I have read many of your posts and they seem to be balanced and thought out. You also don't make harsh personal attacks. So I might call you a big fan or loyalist, but not a "cheerleader."

Okay, I really have to say I disagree with the "intuitive intention analysis" after reading all the posts reading into my intention with this thread.:p

Others have well expressed most of my opinions on this kind of unreasoned, unneccessarily crude posting. (BTW- I have also been on the Jade a bit more than a year ago and wouldn't dream of overriding a more current experience.)

If this thread does stick around a bit (and stays with a relatively civil tone) I'll be happy to come back and address some more of the issues that were addressed.

Please don't attack each other personally. We should be able to have a great, lively debate without being cruel. Most of us do want the same thing - a great cruise experience.

Nap time now. I'll check in again tonight.

I have to say I totally agree with you that I was surprised when I got back online today and read the thread how civil most people have been.

Also, I guess my idea of what I mean when I say I am an NCL cheerleader is different. I think of it as encouraging folks to have a great time on their NCL cruise and really that extends to any other cruiseline. I do love the way NCL does cruising, but i'm not totally brand loyal. I would cruise RCCL again in a minute if the itinenary and price were what we were looking for. Would also love to try HAL, Princess, and Costa. I guess maybe I should say I am a cheerleader for cruising period, and it just so happens NCL is the line we choose the most. I think it all comes down to how one defines cheerleading. 8-)

I've been trying to keep up with the posts, even though I have been too sick to post much over the weeks since our last two NCL cruises. (The last one ended 1/24 and the next one is 2/26. We still can't get through a day without coughing, but the rib bruising has cleared.)

I have debated whether to even post of our experiences with smoking neighbors and black mold in our cabins, but why? There are so many "cheerleaders" who will attack any perceived slight of an NCL cruise that those who come to the site for information would probably not find what they need to know anyhow.

I normally try to post for the "readers" not the "writers", but perhaps because of the extended illness the megaposters have really got me down. I wish this site counted quality of posts rather than quantity.

To those of you who have only written one or two posts and been blasted, I sympathize and understand. If I had started my CC postings on the NCL board I would have quit before I got to #3. Even now I hesitate before posting here -- Kind of sad.

To those of you who have been trying to report dangerous problems on the Jade, I know you have received numerous insults from folks who haven't been on the ships recently and won't respect a less than glowing opinion. Let me say, based on my experiences in the past month on other NCL ships, I believe you fully and will be cancelling my 3 weeks coming up on the Jade. (I loved that ship last time aboard!) If I can get current information, I may book a different voyage, if not, I will be forced to look to a more informative board and cruiseline.

To the cheerleaders, yes, you overwhelm all other voices on this board by the sheer quantity of your posts - 5,8,10 a day - but are you good for the cruiseline you love, or do the silent observers quietly move on to other, more courteous, boards? (I know I don't need to identify a "cheerleader", they will quickly and loudly identify themselves.)

If you think that these boards are harsh to people who disagree with them, you should see boards that I've belonged to and since deleted my account. There are music boards that will have members threatening physical harm to those whose opinions don't exactly match those held by the "all-knowing" teenagers and tween-agers. This board is tame! Go ahead flame on. Give me your best shot. Cruising is supposed to be stress reducing. If you're out there looking to plunk those who don't agree with you, you should try a pop music board where the earth shattering topic of the day is which group is better Led Zepplin or AC/DC (Zepplin hands down, but anyway). This board is supposed to be about helping cruisers become better more informed cruisers.

Sure there are the trolls that only post once and see what happens, but then there are new-comers like myself that just because we're new aren't given any credence to our opinions. So do I not get to have a strong opinion because I happen to only have a handful of posts under my belt? I think the true test of whether a rave review or a blasting review written by a "one-post wonder" is a troll is whether the person comes back and responds to people who opine differently.

Let's all try to remember that cruising is vacation. Cruising is fun. Cruising is what we do. There are people that think cruising IS still the "Love Boat" and Bernie Kopell is going to come around the corner with Gavin MacLeod and Ted Lange. (Think about the reference: it'll come to you) We know better though, don't we? Those of us who love it are going to tell you we love it and what we love about it. Those of us that don't can go back to the Princess Boards... no really, Lauren Tewes is waiting for you--or was it Pat Klous? Seriously, if you have a serious gripe, tell the board about it. Don't just say, "The whole cruise sucked." Because it didn't. If you made it to the debark port without sinking, the cruise didn't suck. There was something good in there somewhere.

PS to the guy who found black mold on the Jade, did you tell you're room steward about it? Are you sure it WAS black mold and not merely mold that happened to be black? They treat real black mold like asbestos on land. I wouldn't have stopped until someone did something about it. The captain and the hotel director would've heard from me if the problem wasn't solved. But instead, you come back here and gripe about on a board to people who can't do anything for you. Is that to scare off would be NCL guests? or is that trying to help the public at large? I can't see brooding about something all cruise long, not telling anyone on board that could perhaps solve the issue and then come on here and slam NCL.

The real public service would have been to tell us how the dealt with the problem after being made aware of it. Let the trolls begin to tear me apart.

you are talking about me, I have been posting for years and I do not only post on NCL. I read and post on many boards as this is part of my job. Well, posting isn't, but reading what others are saying is...Why would you say something stupid like that? I notice you were born in 2000 and started posting in 2003, very interesting. Obviously if you started posting in 2003 and have almost no posts, you also have no clue as to what is happening in the cruise business or what is being said on these boards.

Nita

Child prodigy.:D

I don't know that the "cheerleaders" help or hurt NCL but they probably do their fair share of running off newbies (perhaps that is their goal?). I loved my NCL Dawn experience and am excited to be considering the Gem but it isn't because of anything I've read here. If I had no NCL experience and just started reading here, I might likely come away thinking NCL cruisers are snobs and the line isn't for me. Not to single out NCL boardies, I will say that in reading the Carnival board for the last few days, I could get the impression that CCL cruisers party too much for my taste as there is a lot of threads about alcohol, smuggling alcohol, price of alcohol, etc.

Luckily, the vast majority of cruisers don't read or post here at cc.

Reading through this thread, it seems at though some people feel that a person with 1 post who is posting something negative automatically gets attacked and flamed by people who they call "cheerleaders" (in an attempt to disparage their opinions through the negative label).

I really think the people who have issues with these "one post wonders" feel the way that they do because of all of the overwrought drama that these posters usually show.

As an example, there is a thread on this board right now that was started by a person who joined Cruise Critic today and then made their first post.

The post is about a negative experience with NCL's customer service.

The poster is obviously frustrated since they've tried to resolve their issue with no luck.

As of this writing, there have been 6 replies to this person's 1st (negative) post....and 4 of them are from people with 2500+ posts themselves (ie "Cheerleaders").

Notice that nobody is attacking the poster in any way.

Everyone responding is obviously concerned and trying to help.

Nobody called this guy a "one post wonder".

Nobody piled on and attacked.

You will also notice that the poster was NOT a drama queen in their original post. No hysterics about how they were being ripped off, being taken advantage of, etc. They reasonably stated their issue, and asked for advice...and that is exactly what they are getting.

You can read it for yourself right here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1146977

Wow.........I didn't know the number of posts someone has depicts their intelligence level.........learn something new here every day :rolleyes:

If your post count was higher you would have known that. ;)

See...I would have to disagree with you on this point. She did not call anyone "stupid". She simply asked why the person said something that was stupid.

That IS different than calling someone "stupid". Smart people can, and do, say stupid things at times. However, just because someone says something stupid doesn't mean that they are stupid.

One of the sources of conflict on these boards is people that tend to take everything personally.

Just because person A has an opinion that differs from person B doesn't mean that person A is attacking or flaming person B by stating their position.

You're so smart SeaShark....I stand corrected. She didn't say the poster was stupid, just what they were saying was stupid. Huge difference, my bad.

My point was she had a valid point without adding in the "stupid" commnent. Everyone who has been on cruisecritic or other "cruise boards", know she is a TA, so all she had to do was explain that and as part of her job, she monitors these boards.

For all she knows, some of these posters she puts down, could be her clients :D

Wow.........I didn't know the number of posts someone has depicts their intelligence level.........learn something new here every day :rolleyes:

That is NOT what was said.

DH is very intelligent......I won't give his profession, but he has NO clue about what is happening in the cruise business or anything that is said on these boards.

You're making a connection that doesn't equate and not what Nita said.....hey, I must be a Nita cheerleader.:D

You're so smart SeaShark....I stand corrected. She didn't say the poster was stupid, just what they were saying was stupid. Huge difference, my bad.

My point was she had a valid point without adding in the "stupid" commnent. Everyone who has been on cruisecritic or other "cruise boards", know she is a TA, so all she had to do was explain that and as part of her job, she monitors these boards.

For all she knows, some of these posters she puts down, could be her clients :D

Thanks for considering my point....and, BTW, you are correct in that she could have made her point without even calling the statement stupid.

There is room for "giving" on both sides.

Archived