How to arrange for separate beds

karlsselindh

We've found in oceanview that the cabin seems much more roomy if the beds are separated. (We can sleep together in our king all the time at home.) In an upcoming cruise we booked oceanview GTY, so at the time of booking we couldn't specify bed configuration. Now that we've been assigned a cabin, is there a way to arrange for separate beds in advance, so we don't have to pester the steward to change things on embarkation day?

Now that we've been assigned a cabin, is there a way to arrange for separate beds in advance, so we don't have to pester the steward to change things on embarkation day?
It should be possible for your TA or HAL PCC to add that to your records now. However, sometimes it makes no difference when you get there. If the bed is made up as a queen when we check in, we sleep in it that way the first night and ask the steward to split it the next day. So far they always have.

It should be possible for your TA or HAL PCC to add that to your records now. However, sometimes it makes no difference when you get there. If the bed is made up as a queen when we check in, we sleep in it that way the first night and ask the steward to split it the next day. So far they always have.

I have found this to be true. It doesn't matter what you ask for in advance. The beds are made up in the same arrangement that they were in for the previous passengers. The reason is stewards have probably learned from experience that if they follow the advance instructions, there will be times when the new passenger for whatever reason decides they want it the other way. So they wait until told by the passenger. This way they only have to rearrange one time (or not at all).

As was said, it is not a problem, and it will be done before bedtime.

The only caveat to beware....there are a few odd cabins that only allow the beds to be arranged one way.

I travel with my dad on HAL and we have the same last name.

We have always asked for the beds to be split. When I have walked into the cabin they always have it in Queen configuration. When the cabin Stewards comes to introduce themselves, we ask them to change to two doubles. They usually wait til dinner time because they are delivering luggage to people.

You can ask for it ahead of time. If it is not configured they are really good about fixiting it.

Gail

I have the steward make up the beds as twins.

Then I place the beds one on each side of the cabin parallel to the long walls.

You have a straight shot to the balcony no walking around the beds.

I put them back the last morning.

What do you do about the night stands and reading lights?

The only caveat to beware....there are a few odd cabins that only allow the beds to be arranged one way.

That could prove to be difficult situation when non-romantic couples travel together.:eek: I wonder if HAL would provide boodle boards for the bed?

I hope boodle board is the right name. I am refering to a board down the middle of a family bed to separate the sexes.

I hope boodle board is the right name. I am refering to a board down the middle of a family bed to separate the sexes.

Bundling board. Puritan couples used it while courting. Since there were no movie houses or bowling alleys, they did the best they could. ;)

I think the beds that can't be rearranged are set up as two singles. That's how they are on the Prinsendam, and that's how the beds were on the old-style liners.

Night stands usually fit at the foot and one bed would have a reading lamp
At the foot? We've never had them that way. Depending on the ship and cabin, either one or two of the nightstands have gone between the split beds instead of on the outsides. That is, it was either bed/stand/bed/stand or bed/stand/stand/bed.

At the foot? We've never had them that way. Depending on the ship and cabin, either one or two of the nightstands have gone between the split beds instead of on the outsides. That is, it was either bed/stand/bed/stand or bed/stand/stand/bed.
Never mind 10ormore - I just re-read and saw that you're doing your own unusual arrangement. :o

That could prove to be difficult situation when non-romantic couples travel together.:eek: I wonder if HAL would provide boodle boards for the bed?

Or you could do as Clark Gable did in "It Happenned One Night" (with a rope and a blanket).:D

Bundling board. Puritan couples used it while courting. Since there were no movie houses or bowling alleys, they did the best they could. ;)

I think the beds that can't be rearranged are set up as two singles. That's how they are on the Prinsendam, and that's how the beds were on the old-style liners.

Thank you Ruth for the correct name..

Hank

Archived