Rum Point?

ashnac

ok so I just found an excursion through Carnival where you go to Stingray city (which I have done before and loved and do plan on doing again this trip with my cousin who hasnt been) and it also goes to Rum Point Beach. Says you will be there for about an hour and a half. Is this enough time. Really seems worth it to me just want to make sure. Has anyone done this specific excersion before? It is called Stingray City Sandbar & Rum Point Beach Safari

Thanks

Stingray City Sandbar & Rum Point Beach Safari

4.5 hrs. $60 adult $40 child

It is a carnival excursion.

Snorkel at the world famous Stingray Sandbar and have some fun-in-the-sun at Rum Point Beach.

On this excursion you will:

• Take a short ride along beautiful Seven Mile Beach Road from the pier to your awaiting boat.
  • Sit back and relax for a 30 minute ride to the world famous sandbar.
  • Enter the waist deep water to interact with the stingrays.
  • Board your vessel and head to Rum Point Beach.
  • Enjoy the beach, or take a dip in the crystal clear water.
  • Spend approximately 1 ½ hours at the beach before the journey back to your ship.

Note: Snorkel equipment is included. Complimentary fruit punch, lemonada and water are available on board the vessel

I just copied an pasted what their site says. It looks great but we are in port 7 hours and this will last 4.5 so I want to make sure it is worth it

The only feasible ways to get to Rum Point are either via an excursion (booked through the cruiseship or privately) or by rental car. There have been lots of reviews of the various excursions here on CC, mostly positive.

Do Not miss: Rum Point and Stingray city ..

There are lots of private companies that will do both and you will have more time there but the cost is about $60..

Nativeways is good: http://www.nativewaywatersports.com/tour_details.htm#Rays,%20Reef%20and%20Rum%20Point

Otherwise there R companies that just do snorkel tours for about $45 to Stingray city + reef

http://letsgotravelsomewhere.blogspot.com/2010/02/grand-cayman.html

We did this excursion in 2008. The boat had about 20 people on it. We spent about an hour at Stingray City. Then we went to Rum Point. There were some others there that arrived by private vehicle from local resorts. There is a private dock, chairs, a bar, picnic tables a small restaurant and gift shop. It was clean, beautiful and peaceful except for the thunder, lightning and pounding rain that caused us all to hang out in the too small bar with not enough seating for the 20-30 people needing shelter. I would love to go back though. We took the boat back across the bay, transferred to an air conditioned van that dropped us off at the ship.

I was at rum point this past october and loved it. I really really wanted to go there and glad I did but would I do it again? only if I had a much longer time in port. We did not do an excusion but rather hired someone in advance to take us up their (it was 7 of us in total) and it really was beautiful but my only complaint was that I needed more time.

Bevie

I would not book a ship tour that only allowed me a little more than an hour at Rum Point. There was a private marketing company on the island that had a Jeep caravan type tour. (Try a Google search.) Since we had already done the Sting Ray swim and been to Seven Mile beach we wanted to see the "other" side of the island. We were the only couple and our driver guide was great. We spent about 3 hours at Rum Point which was plenty and arrived back at the downtown location in plenty of time to reboard the ship.

• 4 weeks later...

We were there in June 2009 and went thru Nativeways. We did stingrays, snorkeling and Rum Point. The weather wasn't the best but it did finally clear up and made our visit to Rum Point very nice. It is very beautiful and would love to go there again. Will be GC in Sept. and trying to figure out what to do at that time.

i just tried to book the rays reef and rumpoint excursion with them and they just answered back saying they're completely booked... i'm thinking about booking their stingray sandbar, coral gardens and starfish snorkel excursion... if i get that one, i would like to also go to rumpoint beach. the only problem is i don't know how i would be able to make it from that excursion to rumpoint without any complications. thoughts? also, how much do you think it would cost?

mine and my girlfriend's hearts nearly broke when we got the rejection e-mail from nativeway. we're basically looking for something just as costly and just as fun if possible. so any suggestions would help. thanks a bunch!

The only feasible ways to get to Rum Point are either via an excursion (booked through the cruiseship or privately) or by rental car. There have been lots of reviews of the various excursions here on CC, mostly positive.

i attemtped to book the rays, reef, and rum point excursion with nativeways and they informed me that they're completely booked. my girlfriend and i are looking to do something similar in cost, excitement, and fun. do you have any suggestions? i'm thinking about booking the stingray sandbar, coral gardens, and starfish snorkel excursion with nativeway and then i would like to go to rum point afterwards. the only concern is being able to make it from that excursion to rum point. more suggestions? thanks a bunch!

We are planning on renting a car, jeep or whatever in Grand Caymen. Any advice on what to see?

Four of us rented a car the first week in March and headed for the East end and Rum Point. We rented our car from Avis at the airport and we told the agent where we planned to go and she was very good about making some recommendations and marking out a route for us. It's scenic as you drive along with the ocean on your right. We drove thru Bodden Town and stopped for a few photo op's. We stopped at the blow hole. There is a man there who will want to walk you down to the blow hole and he'll also take your photo if you like. He will leave you to yourselves if that's what you want, but really, he does know where to step to pick your way across the rocks to get fairly close to the blow hole for a nice photo. He's nice and really quite harmless. He has a soda and snack stand across the road and a porta potty that was really clean, and he had sanitary wipes as well. So, we bought some drinks from him to take along on our drive. One word of caution here though; he only will make change in Cayman $'s, so make sure you have small bills. We didn't and we had to make sure to spend our remaining Cayman $'s on filling up the car with gas for the return. ;) From the blow holes, we drove on around the east end to Rum Point. This is a very pretty area with beautiful beaches. We found a parking spot with no problem and a few beach chairs, put on our snorkeling gear and got into the water. There weren't a lot of people in the water that day, as it was fairly cool, but once we got in, it wasn't bad. There is the opportunity at Rum Point to rent various water sport equipment, like jet ski's. My husband and I swam around for a bit and saw some fish, but not a lot. Still, it was very pleasant there. The beach was really nice and they had good facilities. I'd go back there the next time we're in GC. When we departed Rum Point, we took another road back that ran North/South, rather than go all the way back around the way we came. The Botanical Gardens are on this road. I'd have liked to have seen the gardens, as they are supposed to be nice and have many of the blue iguanas here. Well, maybe next time.

i attemtped to book the rays, reef, and rum point excursion with nativeways and they informed me that they're completely booked. my girlfriend and i are looking to do something similar in cost, excitement, and fun. do you have any suggestions? i'm thinking about booking the stingray sandbar, coral gardens, and starfish snorkel excursion with nativeway and then i would like to go to rum point afterwards. the only concern is being able to make it from that excursion to rum point. more suggestions? thanks a bunch!

As I said in my previous message, the only ways to get to Rum Point are either with an excursion that stops there or by rental car. However, it's too far from the port area to do a different excursion and still have time to drive to Rum Point and back. You're either going to have to look for a Rum Point excursion from another operator, skip the excursion or skip Rum Point. Sorry...

Would Rum Point be very crowded with three ships in port?

Probably not. It's pretty far from the port area, so it's not the kind of place cruise ship visitors end up spontaneously. Only the people who planned ahead for an excursion there or rented a car would likely be there.

The crowds at Rum Point are worse on weekends and holidays, though, due to the influx of locals.

Three ships, if they're just normal-sized ones, is a quiet to normal cruise ship day, all things considered. Five or six ships is crowded. Eight or nine is insane. :D

Archived