Help us choose our next Caribbean cruise destinations

tdeyette

It’s that time again, planning for our next cruise. I think the planning is half the fun!

In 2008 our group of 8 did the 10 day Southern Caribbean medley loop in March on the Emerald and had a wonderful time!

That said, we would like to plan another trip for 2011 (March time frame).

There are two interesting itineraries listed and I would like opinions from folks that have visited the islands listed.

10 day on Emerald Princess:

With stops in

· Antigua, Antigua and Barbuda,

· St. Lucia,

· Barbados,

· St. Kitts, St. Kitts & Nevis,

· St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands

· Princess Cays, Bahamas

Or

14 day on Grand Princess:

With stops in

· Aruba

· Curacao, Netherlands Antilles

· Grenada

· Barbados

· St. Vincent, St. Vincent & the Grenadines

· St. Kitts, St. Kitts & Nevis

· Santo Domingo

· Grand Turk

On one hand, for a little more, the 14 days looks nice, it’s always nice to have a few extra days. But are the ports of call as nice? I’ll be doing some reading on the forum to help make an informed decision but I thought it would be interesting to see what folks who have “been there - done that” feel about these ports of call.

Thanks in advance

Tom

I would do the 14 day. It even has some new ports for me. The extra week is wonderful.

I'm glad to see they swapped Bonaire out for Curacao.

Really?? We loved Curacao. So colorful! Snorkeled there, they walked across the pedestrian swinging bridge and went to the place where they sell the curacao liquors, and then visited a bunch of other stores. Got a few great souvenirs. Beautiful city. What didn't you like?

I'm not a big fan of the Caribbean, but we did want to see some of the places we hadn't been to yet, so I did a lot of comparing of the various cruises a few months ago. To us it looked like the 14 day cruise on the Grand got us the most bang for the buck.

We now have three other couples joining us for the 14 Feb cruise - you should join us for Valentines Day on the Grand!!! :-)

Really?? We loved Curacao. So colorful! Snorkeled there, they walked across the pedestrian swinging bridge and went to the place where they sell the curacao liquors, and then visited a bunch of other stores. Got a few great souvenirs. Beautiful city. What didn't you like?

I read the post as changing from Bonaire TO Curacao. That is the best change, Curacao is beautiful!!

Cheers CANDYAPPLE

I read the post as changing from Bonaire TO Curacao. That is the best change, Curacao is beautiful!!

Cheers CANDYAPPLE

Oh yes, I think you are correct. Thanks for pointing that out. And yes, Curacao is lovely. We got there early and when we woke up and opened the curtain, we were practically docked IN TOWN!! All the colorful buildings were just a gorgeous sight first thing in the morning. We still bring that up many years after that cruise!!!

Excellent input, please keep it up!

GERTZ: Interesting on liking the Grand over Emerald. The cruise we took in 2009 (I originally posted 2008 but that is incorrect and I cannot seem to edit it for some reason) was on the Emerald. This was our first cruise so we don’t have anything to compare to (yet). We liked Emerald, but we were also star struck as this was out first cruise. Was it the size of emerald that turned you off?

I have read that Curacao is beautiful and that does sound like a place we would like to visit. However we did have a chance to snorkel in Bonaire and that was really nice too!

Barbados is on both itineraries so it sounds like a win – win situation.

bjkTX: we are in the initial planning stages now, I would say the Feb is not out of the question. I’m sure we’ll be getting the group together soon to discuss destinations and dates.

Cruising Bev: look forward to hear your impressions of the Grand once you are back from your vacation… enjoy!

Tak8: we also like the beach and snorkeling (as well as island touring).

Looks like the 14 day on the grand is the early favorite so far…..

It’s that time again, planning for our next cruise. I think the planning is half the fun!

In 2008 our group of 8 did the 10 day Southern Caribbean medley loop in March on the Emerald and had a wonderful time!

That said, we would like to plan another trip for 2011 (March time frame).

There are two interesting itineraries listed and I would like opinions from folks that have visited the islands listed.

10 day on Emerald Princess:

With stops in

· Antigua, Antigua and Barbuda,

· St. Lucia,

· Barbados,

· St. Kitts, St. Kitts & Nevis,

· Princess Cays, Bahamas

Or

14 day on Grand Princess:

With stops in

· Aruba

· Curacao, Netherlands Antilles

· Grenada

· Barbados

· St. Vincent, St. Vincent & the Grenadines

· St. Kitts, St. Kitts & Nevis

· Santo Domingo

· Grand Turk

On one hand, for a little more, the 14 days looks nice, it’s always nice to have a few extra days. But are the ports of call as nice? I’ll be doing some reading on the forum to help make an informed decision but I thought it would be interesting to see what folks who have “been there - done that” feel about these ports of call.

Thanks in advance

Tom

Hi!

Just did the 14-day Southern Caribbean tour on the Grand last month. It was great and very port-intensive. We enjoyed most of the islands, particularly Curacao, Barbados, St. Kitts, San Juan (replaced Santo Domingo) and Grand Turk. Could have done without Trinidad and Tobago as well as St. Vincents. While I can't comment on the Emerald, we have cruised on the Grand twice and really do enjoy that ship. My recommendaton would be to go for the longer cruise ---- so worth the extra days! Good luck!

The little lady and I have been to the Caribbean on about 10 or 12 cruises. We have found that each time we go to an island, we find something different to enjoy. We will be taking the 14 day Eastern Caribbeans cruise on March 26th. We still are not "bored" by any of the islands. My advice would be to take the 14 day and enjoy all of the islands. One never knows when the current cruise may be their last.

Archived