Sapphire Princess Review - Valentine's Cruise 2010

Princess Patches

Just got off the Sapphire from Mexico a couple of days ago. We sailed previously on the Sapphire in Alaska in 2004. Our Mexico trip was delightful. We sailed as a family of five with two balcony cabins and one inside cabin on Caribe deck. Two of us are elites and so we were called to board at about 11:20 and were on the ship by 11:30 a.m. It was a very smooth boarding.

We had first seating traditional dining in the Vivaldi Dining Room. I guess there were too many requests for first seating to accommodate everyone in the International Dining room. We really enjoyed Vivaldi. It was smaller and quieter, which was nice. After the first seating Vivaldi became anytime dining. The food was excellent in the dining room. I thought it superior to the Horizon court food and so we only ate in Horizon court on one occasion.

We had an elite mini bar set up in our cabins and when I changed out the standard selection for diet cokes and bottled waters I was given 32 sodas and waters. I did not remember getting this many drinks before and asked if that was the correct number. They assured me it was. When my mother asked to trade her mini bar set up the next day she was also given 32 sodas and was assured this was the correct number. As I recall on our last cruise we only got about 20 sodas.

The entertainment was very good. We particularly enjoyed Paul Burton in the Crooner's lounge and the Piano Man show. They also went out of their way with lots of games to play during the day.

The ports of call were enjoyable. We did the Coastal Drive tour with Princess in Puerto Vallarta. It included a city tour and a drive south of the city to the beach where they filmed Night of the Iguana. Our guide spoke excellent English. We used private tour companies in Mazatlan and Cabo San Lucas. The highlight in Mazatlan was a walking tour of the historic old town and seeing the cliff divers. It rained intermittently in Mazatlan, but the rain cooled off the temperature and felt good.

Cabo was the best of the ports. The weather was perfect - clear and warm. The bay is spectacular. We took a whale watching tour with Cabo Escape and it was a thrill. We saw more than a dozen whales, including one that leaped out of the water and flipped over on its back right in front of us. I have lived decades on the Pacific Coast and never seen a whale leap completely out of the water. Great tour and cost $40 dollars less per person than the same tour with Princess. I had not been to Cabo for 10 years and I was shocked to see the amount of building going on. The port looked completely different and everything is brand new.

The Sapphire was in terrific shape. It did not look any worse for wear since I last sailed on her in 2004. Disembarkation was a breeze. We did the walk off service and got off at 7:45 a.m. The smoothest disembarkation ever.

Yes, I got 32 cans of soda and bottles of water for 7 days. I don't remember getting this many before. My mother got the same switch out in the cabin next door to mine the following day. Not sure if it was an error or not. The food/beverage people assured us it was not and we were not charged for anything.

On Valentine's Day the atrium was all decorated in a Valentine's theme and they did some Valentine's games (newlywed game and love themed trivia). Valentine's was formal night so a lot of people were dressed up in red. We got heart shaped chocolates and a love poem on our pillows.

Hi Princess patches:

I agree, it was the smoothest of embarkations and disembarations.

The Sapphire is such a wonderful ship.

Sounds like a great time in Cabo watching the whales. We were lucky

enough to see some whales after departing Cabo, but not with

the splenor nor grandeur that you saw them.

I thought Paul Burton's show in the Princess theatre on the last evening

was a hoot! I loved his flair for entertaining. He kind of reminded me

of Liberace at times. LOL

Now I'm kind of regretful that we're not going on the Sapphire this July.

It was between Alaska and Hawaii [land trip]

Just got off the Sapphire from Mexico a couple of days ago. We sailed previously on the Sapphire in Alaska in 2004. Our Mexico trip was delightful. We sailed as a family of five with two balcony cabins and one inside cabin on Caribe deck. Two of us are elites and so we were called to board at about 11:20 and were on the ship by 11:30 a.m. It was a very smooth boarding.

We had first seating traditional dining in the Vivaldi Dining Room. I guess there were too many requests for first seating to accommodate everyone in the International Dining room. We really enjoyed Vivaldi. It was smaller and quieter, which was nice. After the first seating Vivaldi became anytime dining. The food was excellent in the dining room. I thought it superior to the Horizon court food and so we only ate in Horizon court on one occasion.

We had an elite mini bar set up in our cabins and when I changed out the standard selection for diet cokes and bottled waters I was given 32 sodas and waters. I did not remember getting this many drinks before and asked if that was the correct number. They assured me it was. When my mother asked to trade her mini bar set up the next day she was also given 32 sodas and was assured this was the correct number. As I recall on our last cruise we only got about 20 sodas.

The entertainment was very good. We particularly enjoyed Paul Burton in the Crooner's lounge and the Piano Man show. They also went out of their way with lots of games to play during the day.

The ports of call were enjoyable. We did the Coastal Drive tour with Princess in Puerto Vallarta. It included a city tour and a drive south of the city to the beach where they filmed Night of the Iguana. Our guide spoke excellent English. We used private tour companies in Mazatlan and Cabo San Lucas. The highlight in Mazatlan was a walking tour of the historic old town and seeing the cliff divers. It rained intermittently in Mazatlan, but the rain cooled off the temperature and felt good.

Cabo was the best of the ports. The weather was perfect - clear and warm. The bay is spectacular. We took a whale watching tour with Cabo Escape and it was a thrill. We saw more than a dozen whales, including one that leaped out of the water and flipped over on its back right in front of us. I have lived decades on the Pacific Coast and never seen a whale leap completely out of the water. Great tour and cost $40 dollars less per person than the same tour with Princess. I had not been to Cabo for 10 years and I was shocked to see the amount of building going on. The port looked completely different and everything is brand new.

The Sapphire was in terrific shape. It did not look any worse for wear since I last sailed on her in 2004. Disembarkation was a breeze. We did the walk off service and got off at 7:45 a.m. The smoothest disembarkation ever.

Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts on your recent Sapphire cruise.....:):):)

Bob

The Sapphire is one of my most favorite cruise ships.

In the Vivaldi Dining Room is the BEST Osso Boccu(sp.) that I have ever tasted and that includes our visit to Paris, last year.

I don't think they've changed the atrium area like they did on the Golden Princess (Piazza) but the Sapphire still shines.

I'm always so happy to hear when somone else enjoys her!

Hi

When and how did you find out that you had to go to the Vivaldi Dining room?

Not to answer for the OP, but I had the same thing happen to me when we sailed on the Sapphire last year. We found out about 2 weeks ahead of time. It just showed up on our cruise personalizer that we were confirmed for first seating traditional. I think it might have been an issue if we were looking for 2nd seating traditional. We also were put into the Vivaldi, and we loved it.

Bailey and Bella,

I was told I would have first seating traditional shortly after I booked when my first paperwork came through from Princess. However, I learned I would be in the Vivaldi Dining Room on the day of embarkation. Your dining room name and table number are printed on the bottom left of your cruise card.

I loved the Vivaldi and was very glad we were assigned there. It is quieter and more intimate than the International Dining Room and the pastas were fantastic. The Sapphire is a wonderful ship.

Archived