Can you leave the ship after check in?

zammer217

I don't know the answer to this person's question either. But, imagine the mayhem if just a fraction of the people who check in, wanted to leave the ship to go shopping. In my opinion, "checking in" should be just that! I just cannot imagine the procedures, strain on cruise line employees, and the confusion wondering, who's checked in, and who's ashore shopping. I would have to imagine that the ships rules would state, unless it's a medical or some other emergency, once checked in, it's all-aboard!

We have not sailed Carnival.......but all other cruise lines let you go ashore after checking in.......since you now will have a cruise card to scan when getting off..........just make sure you have time to get back on board on time.

No, you're held captive on the cruise ship until it leaves port and arrives at the next port!!!!! (Just kidding...)

Drop your bags with the porters, and either head off shopping and check in when you get back, or proceed to check in and get your ship sign-and-sail card, and then head off to do your shopping.

Just pay careful attention to when the ship is scheduled to leave port -- ASK the crew..a couple of times..to be sure!...and find out what time is the latest you need to be back to get aboard! This is usually a minimum of 90 minutes before the ship is to leave port. Don't want to be left behind!

Leaving out of San Diego and would like to check in and then leave the ship to do a little shopping. Is this possible?

Yes it is possible. Once you are checked in you can come and go just like at any other port of call. Most ports you would not want to because there is nothing around the ship, but in San Diego since you are right downtown, it is certainly possible.

The better way to do it though is probably as was suggested. Leave your luggage with the porters, go shop and then board the ship. That way you are not going in the opposite direction of most of the traffic.

Edited by zqvol

I don't know the answer to this person's question either. But, imagine the mayhem if just a fraction of the people who check in, wanted to leave the ship to go shopping. In my opinion, "checking in" should be just that! I just cannot imagine the procedures, strain on cruise line employees, and the confusion wondering, who's checked in, and who's ashore shopping. I would have to imagine that the ships rules would state, unless it's a medical or some other emergency, once checked in, it's all-aboard!

No mayhem at all. It is not the days of Gopher and Julie standing there with a pen and paper checking people off. It is all computers. Check in, leave the ship, just swipe your SeaPass when returning. Just don't miss the ship. When standing in line waiting to board (for the first time) you will notice a lot of crew/passengers walking right by and into the ship. Enjoy San Diego.

• 8 years later...
I have never tried going back ashore after checking in on embarkation day, but I have heard of other people who have.

We have done it in San Juan a couple times. All depends when the departure is. If its 9-10pm like in SJ, no problem. If its 4, doesnt make a lot of sense.