Yet another Victoria question....

MizDaisy

We'll be cruising to Alaska, with a stop in Victoria, this summer.

We currently have a ship tour booked to go to Craigdarroch Castle, but it seems silly to pay such a high cost if we could go there on our own.

Can we go by taxi, and what is the entrance fee? Or is it open only to cruise tours?

Thanks in advance!

We currently have a ship tour booked to go to Craigdarroch Castle, but it seems silly to pay such a high cost if we could go there on our own.

Can we go by taxi, and what is the entrance fee? Or is it open only to cruise tours?

Thanks in advance!

http://www.craigdarrachcastle.com

Entry fee $13.75. Taxi ride 3 miles, maybe $20. Also accessable by city bus and Grey Line tours.

P.S. The Royal British Columbia Museum is a better venue if it is open while you are there. There are reviews if you 'google ' the castle.

I agree with the other poster - go to the museum unless you really really need to see a mini-castle. The museum will exceed your expectations - it is a wonderful place. Otherwise, just wander around Victoria. Unless you really need/want to go to the Butchart's Gardens (worht a visit) then you do not need to spend a lot to see Victoria - it is purposfully designed to be a walking city, with most of the interesting parts very close to the inner harbour area. If you want to explore, then rent a car for your time here and just explore.

Thanks in advance!

I'd also agree that you're better off visiting the Royal BC Museum. To get to downtown, skip the ships shuttles, it's a nice 20 min walk, or a $2.25 local bus (which stops right outside the cruise terminal).

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=100934763039761071004.0004665d7f3e28f06866d&ll=48.420458,-123.368182&spn=0.022586,0.066047&z=15

What kind of things do you like to do? I can probably suggest something, having lived in Victoria for 25 years

Scottbee,

Since you offered your help, can I ask you this - what do you think about the zip lining at this company?

http://www.adrenalinezip.com/

The web site says you can be picked up downtown. Can the office be walked to from the pier? Thank you for all the info you have given about Victoria. I printed your map and made notes of your suggestions, like it taking 20 min. to walk downtown. We would much rather walk than take the bus. Thanks for your help.

I'd also agree that you're better off visiting the Royal BC Museum. To get to downtown, skip the ships shuttles, it's a nice 20 min walk, or a $2.25 local bus (which stops right outside the cruise terminal).

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=100934763039761071004.0004665d7f3e28f06866d&ll=48.420458,-123.368182&spn=0.022586,0.066047&z=15

What kind of things do you like to do? I can probably suggest something, having lived in Victoria for 25 years

I haven't done a lot of research on what's available, but I do know that we really don't care to go to the gardens. It's my husband and I, and our 16 year old son. The "men" are interested in history, architecture, boating....I follow along and have a good time as long as they are....and look for the gift shops! ;)

Scottbee,

Since you offered your help, can I ask you this - what do you think about the zip lining at this company?

The web site says you can be picked up downtown. Can the office be walked to from the pier? Thank you for all the info you have given about Victoria. I printed your map and made notes of your suggestions, like it taking 20 min. to walk downtown. We would much rather walk than take the bus. Thanks for your help.

I don't know anything about the company itself, but it's a good location for that sort of thing, about 20 miles west of downtown. Their downtown pickup location is located right in the inner harbour, so easy to get to (two blocks from the Museum).

http://www.adrenalinezip.com/location.htm#pickup

Scottbee,

I have had a few friends that just did this and loved this company :)

I haven't done a lot of research on what's available, but I do know that we really don't care to go to the gardens. It's my husband and I, and our 16 year old son. The "men" are interested in history, architecture, boating....I follow along and have a good time as long as they are....and look for the gift shops! ;)

Your husband and son should love the Museum (and you will, too). It's a very "user-friendly" museum, not just the kind with a "don't touch" feel to it. There's also an IMAX theatre attached to the Museum and you can either do just the Museum admission or add on seeing a 45 minute film.

Granted I have not been back to the Castle in years. I live in Victoria so no rush but every time I've gone I've found it fascinating. The living rooms are wonderful, the servant quarters are interesting, the history of the building is interesting, the walk up to the top turret is terrifying (for those of us who are height phobic) The attic party room is fun. Or at least all of this was true the last time I went and the whole building is in a constant state of renovations. It was a hospital and a college for a number of years so lots of wear and tear to repair. If you have time see the castle and the museum.

(although the last time I was in the museum I could not see it all in the time allotted)

I've been told here that the castle & the museum will stay open later than they usually do, when they know there's a ship in port...but, will they only be open for the ships' tours, or will they let "walk-ins" go too? Any way of finding out? I sent an e-mail to the castle, but haven't gotten a reply.

Archived