Does HAL Mariner program recognize Home lines cruises?

Infi

I know this may be a shot in the dark, as probably 85% of people on Cruise Critic have never even heard of Home lines, but I figured it's worth a try. HAL bought out Home lines in late 1980s, acquiring some of their ships (old Westerdam) in the process. Now, Princess has a similar situation with Sitmar, and in my experience, they've recognized cruises taken on Sitmar as part of their Captain's Circle. So, I'm wondering if HAL does the same.

Has anyone had any experience with HAL recognizing their Home lines cruises for Mariner status?

I took a cruise on the Home Lines back in 1986. It was a great cruise. I have often wondered the same thing. I have proof. I just came accross the passenger list and my name appears on it. I was surprised that I had saved that stuff.

Good luck and let us know if you find out anything.

Terri

Some of my fondest memories are from Home Lines cruises. They were my 1st, 2nd and 3rd cruises all out of NY to Bermuda and Nassau (1978) and Bermuda (1981 and 1984) . How elegant, how exciting - 2 poor kids without two pennies to rub together could experience that kind of life! I was lucky enough to have a mother-in-law who insisted that her son and I get away once in awhile without the kids. Whenever my husband complains that he wants to do something besides cruise, I tell him blame your mother, she got me hooked.

The Italian crew were so debonnair, the flowing gowns and tuxedos made people watching so enjoyable! Who knew from verandas and suites - our dark closet of a room was heaven! The single cots with "visitation privileges." Thank you for bringing Home Lines back to my mind - I am reminiscing right now and what a pleasure!

It is my understanding that HAL recognizes cruises for Mariner credits/benefits only on journeys aboard Holland America ships.

I think you are right on this. With all these lines that are under the Carnival Corp umbrella, Carnival does not cross count cruises under the different cruise lines, ie. Princess, Holland, Seabourn, etc....they all stand on their own.

I took my first cruise on a Cunard ship in the 90's and then Carnival bought them and there's no record of that cruise.

I joined the Cunard World Club when I booked the QE2 for its Jan, 2008 Winter Crossing. After querying Cunard, they told me that if I could provide a photo taken on a previous Cunard cruise, they might give me credit for it.

I found a couple of photo's taken on the old Cunard Countess on a San Juan 7 day cruise back in 1978, showing us at a table with our waiter, and another around the pool.

They did give me credit for that cruise.:)

i tried and no luck i had sailed home lines with about 25 cruises and hal would not honor them but i stayed with holland america anyway so what they tell me i have i always add another 25 cruises to it anyway i know what i paid and sailed but no luck wioth them picking up those days

Thanks everyone for your replies. I enjoyed seeing how many people recognized Home lines, it made me smile. Now those were the "good old days".

Yes, I am well aware that Carnival corp does not recognize cruises from other lines under their umbrella. That is nothing new. However, this is different in that this cruise line completely disappeared after HAL bought them; they became part of HAL. Like I said, Princess has a similar situation and they recognize cruises from a line they bought out. IMHO, it's worth a try.

Does anyone have an email for the Mariner Society? Or, maybe I would be better off calling?

Does anyone have an email for the Mariner Society? Or, maybe I would be better off calling?
In the upper right-hand corner of the HAL HOME PAGE click Contact Us. You may the choose the Email Us tab, which brings up a form. One of the Topics to choose from on that form is Mariner Society. Or, you can call them at

MARINER SOCIETY

(Questions regarding your Mariner status)

Phone: 1-800-547-9139

Well, just to give an update, not sure if it will be useful to anyone else but I'll post it anyway. Emailed HAL, received canned response about not being able to combine past cruises from any cruiselines under the World's Leading Cruiselines umbrella. Well, I knew that, but that's not what I asked about. Good job answering the actual question. :rolleyes: I sure hope HAL's onboard service is better than their customer service, because I'm pretty unimpressed with all of my experiences with them so far. Not a good sign before a cruise. :(

Well, just to give an update, not sure if it will be useful to anyone else but I'll post it anyway. Emailed HAL, received canned response about not being able to combine past cruises from any cruiselines under the World's Leading Cruiselines umbrella. Well, I knew that, but that's not what I asked about. Good job answering the actual question. :rolleyes: I sure hope HAL's onboard service is better than their customer service, because I'm pretty unimpressed with all of my experiences with them so far. Not a good sign before a cruise. :(

Yes, it is very frustrating when they respond with a 'canned' response that seems like they don't hear what you asked. Perhaps the csr's don't have the authority to actually write their own asnwer to a question due to corporate liability paranoia, but must instead try to select from a menu of standard responses that they feel most closely matches the subject?

Archived