Cruisin with kids for the 1st time.

tjwcs

Get a guidebook on your ports...let them read it (or read it to them) and get them involved in where you're going, and what things you might do!

Get the cruise brochure, and let them look at it....the deck plans and pictures are part of the fun!

Cruising is simply a vacation....there's no right or wrong way to do it. Just go and have fun!

Kids, especially the age of your kids, LOVE the kid's programs.....they'll have a blast!

Those are almost exactly the same ages as my kids' first sailing a few months ago (mine were 6 and 10).

It was awesome. As much as I dearly love my kids, I was wary as to how it would go and if I'd enjoy cruising as much with kids as without.

They were GREAT, had a ball, and are hooked. And it honestly was wonderful. The only reason I ever wanted to get off the ship and go home before was to be with the kids...this way I can have them with me (and I'd probably never leave, finances permitting!). The only MAJOR difference was the lack of time I had to get myself ready for dinner, LOL. Other than that, it was awesome and equally as enjoyable as cruising without the kids.

We took DD on her first cruise last November. We involved her in some of the planning and talked lots about the various things to do on the ship as well as the rules well in advance which really helped. With some of the excursions we went on, we showed her some videos we found on youtube to get her use to the idea (particularly helped with the stingrays) Also got DD her own camera to take pictures with (and a few actually turned out well) She loved the kids program and we had talked with her about how she got to go to her own special area on the ship. Not sure if you have cruised or not before, but if so, realize that you may not get to do some of the same things (e.g. staying out dancing in the club till 2am:rolleyes:)The cruise was a great family vacation.

We will be doing our third cruise in five years this April with our two kids. The first one for them, our son was 3 and daughter was 6. This year, they will be 8 and 11 (going on 21, lol!). For us, it is much needed family time and after our first cruise we are hooked! The kids each time have had such a blast with their new friends at kids camp, they couldn't ever wait to go back. That time gave my hubby and I some time to ourselves but we still had plenty of family time too! I don't think we'd get away with trying to go without them!

We have a 9 year old girl and a 5 year old boy that will be cruising with us next summer. Would love to get advice from experienced cruisers with kids.

All suggestions welcome.

Teena:)

They will have a blast. The one big mistake we did when we started cruising w/ our daugher (at 3 yrs old, now 5) is bringing a bunch of toys for the cabin. Well, we were NEVER in the cabin and the toys went unused. She insisted on the kids club night and day and had a blast.

Here's how we worked the kids camp. She always wanted to go to the 9:00 - 12:00 session and then it usually closes until 2:00 - 5:00. Reopens at 6:00pm (if they are doning a dinner w/ the kids) or 7:00 (if dining option is not available) - 10:pm . We have her at the 9:00-12:00 and then the rest of the day is family time. She then is BEGGING to go back at night and that give DH and I plenty of down time to enjoy. After 10:00pm there is a babysitting fee but we alway pick her up by then because not only is our daughter tired but I'm pooped and ready for bed.

The one tip I will give for the 5 yr old is to try and get him to take a late afternoon nap. Our daughter NEVER wanted to eat dinner with us so we would feed her in the buffet area of the ship and then at 7:00 take her to the kids club and pick her up at 10:00 (we always do late dining).

There are also nights that you can sign the kids up for dinner and the counseler take them to dinner. My daughter always has a blast.

Also, go w/ the flow. At home we have a schedule of dinner time, bed time, etc. While on the cruise, we let that go to the wind. She goes to bed around 10:30 and we just have fun w/out watching the clock.

You'll have a great time!!!

We have a 9 year old girl and a 5 year old boy that will be cruising with us next summer. Would love to get advice from experienced cruisers with kids.

All suggestions welcome.

Teena:)

What I like about a cruise is that it allows for adult time, kid time and family time. We have dinner together most nights on the ship, but might take a night ourselves for adult dinner. We usually eat breakfast in the dining room - it is so much nicer being served, and not having to battle trays in lines, and get up and down for refills. We also take advatange of lunch in the dining room, after picking the kids up from camp. Then we often have family time at the pool or putt putt. We always pick family friendly excursions, and I get the kids input.

We also travel with a balcony, so that we can come back to the room around 10, and the kids can go to sleep while we chat and watch the water go by.

Have a great trip.

I'm sure that your kids will have a great time, but it isn't always due to what you may assume they will enjoy. We have been on four cruises with our two DS's and the kids club has never been a huge attraction for them. They will go once or twice and the rest of the time they want to hang out with us. They loved the flowrider, rock climbing wall, ping pong and basket ball on our most recent trip. We also picked up some lego the day before we boarded which they loved playing with while we spent some down time in the cabin. It gave us a chance to spend some time with a book on the balcony. :)

It has taken me a while to realize that since they aren't too keen about summer camps and other organized activities, then it shouldn't surprise me that they aren't too keen about joining in with the kids club while on board.

If your kids are more introverted or bookish, then they may not want to spend much time at the kids club. If they are extroverts and will make your life miserable if they aren't surrounded by a gaggle of friends, then you will probably have a hard time pulling them away!

I wish my kids loved the kids club as much as everyone else's kids do, but they are who they are and this just gives us more time together as a family. :)

Hope this helps,

N.

We are going on our first cruise with our kids and have been given the following advice several times...

1- Bring walkie talkies so you can find each other on the ship. Hubby and you may hold them, or you can give one to the kids if they are off by themselves at kids camp or wondering around the ship. I've heard it's the only way to find each other on the ship

2- Bring lanyards with a plastic holder (you can get them at office supply stores) for around the kids necks to hold their id's, drink passes, room keys, etc- otherwise they lose everything

Archived