Earthquake near Santiago Chile -- Princess Sailings and Passengers

mmyorkston

http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/03/05/1513492/star-princess-to-leave-chile.html

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/pa/pa_4737.html

Princess Lines encouraged passengers to enter a danger zone where aftershocks were certain even though after shocks can be deadly just as the original quakes.

Princess Lines encouraged passengers to disregard the State Department's

Travel Alert as well as those of other countries and put themselves in danger.

Princess Lines encouraged passengers to get flights that didn't exist to get to a departure March 2nd that didn't leave then.

Now Princess is classing those that didn't buy into the coercion voluntary no shows and washing its hands of them.

Contact your State Department, pol, and the media!

I'm very disappointed in Princess' responses to the CC questions. Not so much the content of the answers, but the tone in which they were delivered. Was this actually a Princess spokesperson? If so, they need to look at who they have representing the company.

The more that is coming out and the more I'm hearing about how Princess has handled this, the lower my opinion of that company is getting.

/sigh.

I'm very disappointed in Princess' responses to the CC questions. Not so much the content of the answers, but the tone in which they were delivered. Was this actually a Princess spokesperson? If so, they need to look at who they have representing the company.

The more that is coming out and the more I'm hearing about how Princess has handled this, the lower my opinion of that company is getting.

/sigh.

Not only was she a Princess spokesperson, she is the Vice-president in charge of sales and marketing.

To us, that explains a lot about the image they are presenting to all of their customers.

I purchase travel insurance for my cruises from an independent company through insuremytrip.com. I would certainly expect to be covered in a situation like this. You can bet I will check.

For those of you who have problems collecting from insurance, Princess or otherwise, I would file a complaint with your State Insurance Department. Most of the plans are backed by licensed insurance companies. While the terms of the contract will usually govern the outcome, at the very least, it will make your Insurance Department aware of abuses that should be corrected.

Rich

I purchase travel insurance for my cruises from an independent company through insuremytrip.com. I would certainly expect to be covered in a situation like this. You can bet I will check.

For those of you who have problems collecting from insurance, Princess or otherwise, I would file a complaint with your State Insurance Department. Most of the plans are backed by licensed insurance companies. While the terms of the contract will usually govern the outcome, at the very least, it will make your Insurance Department aware of abuses that should be corrected.

Rich

You may be surprised how many times in the small print an act of God is not included. It's going to be very interesting when people start filing insurance claims for this, I really hope there's no issues.

By any reasonable definition this cruise was cancelled and people should receive a refund, not get charged cancellation penalties. There are no flights and if you don't get there its called a "Voluntary cancellation". Princess' greed and lack of ethics in this dire situation is unbelievable.

I am booked to take a cruise from Santiago on the 14th. With the situation is in flux I called my travel insurance plan to inquire about my options. I got alarming news:

They will cover any losses if I don’t go or try to make alternative arrangements to go. But if I go, it is at my own risk, if I am hurt or injured or die due to the situation in this region (earthquake, aftershocks, Tsunami ..) then I am not covered under my travel plan.

I am booked to take a cruise from Santiago on the 14th. With the situation is in flux I called my travel insurance plan to inquire about my options. I got alarming news:

They will cover any losses if I don’t go or try to make alternative arrangements to go. But if I go, it is at my own risk, if I am hurt or injured or die due to the situation in this region (earthquake, aftershocks, Tsunami ..) then I am not covered under my travel plan.

Thanks discover12. This sheds much light on Princess's stance and some of the misinformation provided here earlier.

The danger is apparent to your insurance carrier if not Princess and Co.

The dismissive attitude of the Princess VP in the Q&A told me everything I needed to know about this company's attitude towards their customers.

I'm so sorry for everyone who had their vacation plans thrown into chaos by a horrific natural disaster. I'm even sorrier that their cruise line didn't step up to the plate when they had the opportunity, and botched their response to it all along the way.

My DW cruised with Princess to Alaska last year and we're booked on one of this company's sister lines for two cruises this year. I'll have to think long and hard before booking them again.

Does anyone know why this is considered a "voluntary" cancelation? I have the platinum insurance and it sounds like I won't get a refund even WITH insurance. Anyone have any FACTS to share? Elizabeth
Involuntary would have been if Princess cancelled the cruise. Voluntary means you cancelled - regardless of how valid your reason was.

I am afraid what I have to tell you is only going to hurt more - but different insurance policies cover different things and Princess's policy may not have been the best choice for your situation. What most people do not realize is that trip protection is for specific, defined reasons only. Anything outside of that is not covered. Within the Princess branded policy, they often promote the 'any reason' coverage, which is what you are now covered by, BUT it is a cruise credit, not a refund. The Princess policy is specifically designed according to what Princess wanted to provide in the way of coverage. It has quirks in it, like only covering flights purchased through Princess.

Other third party policies do cover cancellation and trip interruption for a natural disaster at your destination (which includes ports). For us, we have found that the third party policies give us better coverage, often at better prices. Unfortunately, many many pax only discover these differences after having been denied a claim under one policy. It is much like putting in the stop light after someone has been run over....there is nothing I can offer you that is going to make this better.

My Travel Insurance Company told me if there is a government warning for travel to this region I am advised not to go. If I go, I am responsible for all the risks (no coverage if something happen due to the reasons of the warning). This doesn't sound to me as voluntary cancellation.

I've heard that Princess reads CC.

So I need to say this: Princess......Please admit you made mistakes on Feb. 27.

I feel bad for the people of Chile but also for all of you cruisers who have been affected by this.

My sincere hope is the people in the region effected by the earthquake and the after-shocks fully recover from this disaster.

However, my sincere speculation is Princess will never fully recover from the Public Relations Nightmare/Disaster they created by going ahead with this originally scheduled March 2 cruise.

Will think long and hard about purchasing FCC's on-board during our upcoming cruises.

My Travel Insurance Company told me if there is a government warning for travel to this region I am advised not to go. If I go, I am responsible for all the risks (no coverage if something happen due to the reasons of the warning). This doesn't sound to me as voluntary cancellation.
Trust me, I understand why. But in this case, voluntary only refers to whether you cancel or the trip provider cancels. Not how reasonable or prudent or impossible it is. Not that I agree with the choice of terminology - they would be better off calling it 'passenger cancellation' and 'provider cancellation'.

eta- I meant to include this in my earlier post, but waited too long to add it. I too am mystified as to Princess' failure to communicate with pax and TA's. In the past decades, time and time again, companies in the midst of crises have found timely communication, even if it was to say "Check with us in 5 hours at this number and we will tell you what we do and do not know then" has been the only way to operate. Failing to do so causes mistrust and looks arrogant and/or poorly run. Why on earth did Princess rely only on CNN news reports for airport status for two days??? They have people on the ground there, they should have emergency communications established with all port agents in advance. FCOL, if Skype reports were on news outlets within hours, Princess should have had similar communications established with their local reps. To delay making decisions and then to claim they did not have any information only proves they were asleep at the wheel. It is just more of the 'no worries' response mentality you find onboard when you have to register a problem with the purser's desk. Stupid, stupid, stupid Princess.

I've heard that Princess reads CC.

So I need to say this: Princess......Please admit you made mistakes on Feb. 27.

I feel bad for the people of Chile but also for all of you cruisers who have been affected by this.

If you read the stories, you'll see that they say, in hindsight, that mistakes were made.

"If you read the stories, you'll see that they say, in hindsight, that mistakes were made."

What has now become abundantly clear to all but a few, is that the Princess Line continues to compound on those mistakes they've admitted to in hindsight!

However, the information provided about Princess and its various insurance coverages has been a very worthwhile expose in addition to the evidence of their total disregard for the health, safety, and well being of their March 2 passengers.

This attitude is not applicable only to those passengers, but is indicative of a systemic problem.

"Air Canada reported on Thursday the resumption of scheduled services to Santiago, Chile, now that Arturo Merino Benitez has been reopened to commercial operations following the closure of the airport when an earthquake hit the country on 27 February.

The five times weekly service, operating every day except Mondays and Wednesdays, from Toronto to Santiago via Buenos Aires, Argentina, was resumed on Thursday."

http://www.tradingmarkets.com/news/stock-alert/aidif_air-canada-resumes-santiago-flights-826264.html

"Air Canada reported on Thursday the resumption of scheduled services to Santiago, Chile, now that Arturo Merino Benitez has been reopened to commercial operations following the closure of the airport when an earthquake hit the country on 27 February.

The five times weekly service, operating every day except Mondays and Wednesdays, from Toronto to Santiago via Buenos Aires, Argentina, was resumed on Thursday."

http://www.tradingmarkets.com/news/stock-alert/aidif_air-canada-resumes-santiago-flights-826264.html

I think someone posted on this thread earlier in the week that they were able to get out of Toronto on Air Canada. Hope they made it.

True, Princess has admitted mistakes were made. The amazing part to me is that they only discovered these response errors in hindsight. THIS is how well their Emergency Response Team was prepared? From a company headquartered near a major earthquake fault in CA and knowing that it was an 8.8 quake?

Did they learn nothing from how other companies have handled crisis management? Nothing from 9/11? Heck, the Tylenol scare was in 1982 and most corporations changed their PR approach to be as forthcoming as possible after that. What on earth was Princess thinking?

Profit & Loss

Okay, from what we've read, Princess is keeping the money from March 2 passengers that "voluntarily" couldn't make it at some point in the voyage.

If it was fully booked, 1800 didn't make it, if the 700+who did which was quoted is right.

The 400+ that stayed on are being charged 50 to 75 a day until they leave for the staterooms the missing March 2 passengers were charged for.

1200 passengers to feed and look after.

Chilean Disaster:

Chilean people 0

March 2 passengers 0

Princess Line wins.

How good it must feel to benefit from the misery of others!

Involuntary would have been if Princess cancelled the cruise. Voluntary means you cancelled - regardless of how valid your reason was.

I am afraid what I have to tell you is only going to hurt more - but different insurance policies cover different things and Princess's policy may not have been the best choice for your situation. What most people do not realize is that trip protection is for specific, defined reasons only. Anything outside of that is not covered. Within the Princess branded policy, they often promote the 'any reason' coverage, which is what you are now covered by, BUT it is a cruise credit, not a refund. The Princess policy is specifically designed according to what Princess wanted to provide in the way of coverage. It has quirks in it, like only covering flights purchased through Princess.

Other third party policies do cover cancellation and trip interruption for a natural disaster at your destination (which includes ports). For us, we have found that the third party policies give us better coverage, often at better prices. Unfortunately, many many pax only discover these differences after having been denied a claim under one policy. It is much like putting in the stop light after someone has been run over....there is nothing I can offer you that is going to make this better.

That was my experience a few years ago. We had to disembark QM2 on the third day of a Canada/New England cruise and fly completely across the country back home due to a medical emergency.

The word from our insurance company? You should have know the medical emergency would happen. How the heck could we possibly have known that!

In the end: lost the price of the cruise and the $2000 it cost to fly from Halifax to Vancouver.

Now I look at insurance policies with a fine tooth comb, and you know what? It's remarkable the number of situations they won't pay out for. I feel sick to my stomach for the people on this 3/2 voyage - by Princess stating the voyage is still on, the legalese kicks in, and it looks like passengers chose not to go.

By going into an area with a travel advisory, as Princess would like you to, you potentially void your insurance by visiting a region with known risks.

No win.

Archived