Deciding between Carnival Cruise & Disney World

smuggs

We're trying to decide between doing a Cruise over Halloween on Carnival or going to Disney World (probably late August). Cost is not the deciding factor as we could go to Disney properties on a trade from our timeshare. At the time of the cruise, our kids will be 9,7 & 3. For the cruise we're thinking about the Western Carribean itinerary on the Dream (Belize, Roatan, Cozumel, & Costa Maya). I've been leaning toward the cruise, but the kids are all of the sudden been interested in going to Disney. I was thinking that it would be more manageable to do Disney when our youngest is almost 4 rather than just about to turn 3 and that Camp Carnival would provide some options for my wife and I to have some of our own time that we wouldn't be able to do as easily with Disney. I'd appreciate your insights based on your own experiences.

Thanks!

Disney in late August -- the heat and lines would be unbearably HOT. :eek: To the point of just being miserable for everyone involved.

If you were asking if you should do WDW over Halloween verses Carnival Dream over Halloween -- I would actually probably choose Disney over Halloween.

Disney in October is actually a really fun time to do Disney. Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party is really awesome! :D My kids had a blast last year. We went in September. That's when it starts - September. So we took advantage of the free Disney Dining - which also saved us some bucks.

The one small issue is that its prime hurricane season. So if you are in Disney and a hurricane moves through, you can't move Disney. If you are on the Dream, the Captain can move the ship. ;)

I'd pick the cruise just for the fact that you can have some down time from parenting as the camp will help with your kids. Disney vacations are fun, but you're on parenting duty all the time.

Although your older kids might not like disney too much longer so maybe you should get it in while you have 3 kids in the "Disney park age". Kids love cruising at all ages.

....and that's why i'm in the quandry. i just priced out things on disney's website to go over halloween, and we could definitely do the cruise for less (oh, and by the way, the trip is to also celebrate our 15 year anniversary and my 40th b-day). i think we can wait until next year for disney and be OK with the older kids...plus if we trade off our smugglers notch timeshare (love it up there, btw), we can end up with a 2BR condo on disney property for next to nothing. So, perhaps I'm talking myself into going on the cruise this year and disney next year. only problem will be that we will need to do disney in the summer next year if i do a halloween cruise this year. decisions...decisions...

Remember that at Disney, your 9 yr old becomes an "adult" when they turn 10. Makes a huge difference in price, esp if you do the dining plan. Don't know if that makes a difference in your decision...:p

That said, we're huge Disney fans giving it up this year to take our first cruise. Hope we love it as much as Disney! Enjoy your vacation either way!!

I would do the cruise - given the age of your youngest. 4 is about the earliest that I would try to do Disney.

I agree with other posters - you are really trying to compare apples and oranges here. Disney is an on-the-go-try-to-cram-stuff-in vacation, where cruising is a little more balanced, especially on sea days. Disney also takes far more planning in terms of where to eat (if you don't make reservations for things far in advance, you won't get in - days of walk-up dining are pretty much over). The cruise would be a much "easier" vacation and parents have an opportunity for down time as well.

I do disagree with posters about late August - if you are truly talking late August, say after the 20th or so. FLA schools are back in, along with a lot of other schools. That time, from experience, and guidebooks, is not nearly as bad as June 15-August 15. Of course, if you can do Disney in October - now that is the time to be there.

We went on a cruise on Carnival Fantasy about ten years ago with our four kids when they were roughly your kid's ages. It was okay, but not great. We booked connecting staterooms and therefore also had two bathrooms (don't overlook this). Two rooms or a suite is a must - you definitely need that with you, wife, and 3 kids or you'll be miserable. The kids did the kid's club thing, etc., but were still bored at times. The amount of adult downtime is also somewhat limited by meals, getting them dressed for dinner, getting them up and going in the am (like adults they'll tend to be up later than normal), etc. and you still have to get them to and from the kid's programs. Add that your kids will likely want to be with mom and dad some of the time as well. Don't get me wrong - you'll all have fun - just don't be surprised that cruising with small children isn't as entirely relaxing as it might appear on the surface.

As for costs, make sure you factor in the cost of beverages, soda/juice plans, arcade, etc. onboard. Even kids can run up some impressive charges on a ship and adult drinks, even domestic beer, are downright expensive. Plan on spending 1/2 as much on "charges" and tips as the cruise cost itself. You may get by for a bit less, but that depends upon how much you drink or bring aboard in the way of alcohol, soft drinks, etc. Compare this to going to DW when the dining plan is offered or if you're exchanging for a condo being able to buy a lot of snack foods and drinks at offsite prices.

As for the age of the the youngest child, yeah, they'll be a little less high maintenance at 4 than 3, but it's kind of splitting hairs - you'll still need to be with them at all times in DW, they'll still get tired and cranky, and they still won't be tall enough for the "big" rides, so you and your wife will be splitting watching and riding with the older kids.

FWIW, all my kids (ages 6 through 12 at the time) preferred DW trips over the cruise.

Cruise---the 3 year old is still too young to appreciate Disney and it's wonders! They tire easily, get overloaded with all the "hoopla", melt-down and everyone is miserable!

The perfect age for Disneyworld is around 6 and up....you're never too old, but you CAN be too young!

thanks everyone! we're going to do the cruise this year and then look to do disney next year. we live in NJ, so the kids don't go back to school until the wed after labor-day, so late aug would work. i also found out that the NJ Teacher's Convention is late in 2011, so we could go that week (kids would only miss 2 days of school) and still be home for halloween.

as for when my oldest turns 10, that may be factor in our timing (aug vs. 2nd week of nov 2011)

My opinion, coming from someone who has done Disney for the last 8 years (kids are now 3,8 and 10) and someone who has gone the last 2 weeks of August. We decided to take a Disney break a year ago and cruise with the kids for the first time. We took a 5 night cruise and then did 2 nights at Disney just to get our fix. We did dolphins even in Cozumel. When we returned, kids liked the cruise, but LOVED the Disney part. August is hot, but you can do most of your touring in the am and night and swim during the hottest part of the day. I will vouch for saying that cruising will NOT change how much adult time you get unless you send the kids away every chance you get. We don't vacation this way. If that is how you want to vacation, I say leave the kids at home. I think if you want to cruise, do that first, the kids will appreciate it more that way. Especially if you can do Disney next year. Don't let the heat deter you. The caribbean will be hot in October too. By the way, we just booked the Destiny for October and the kids are excited to go.:D No Disney this time though :(

Hey Smuggs, I'm a Smuggs owner too!

I had the same quandary last year for spring break. I had 2 weeks at OLCC booked and decided to take a Carnival cruise for the second week. I had 3 kids, aged 13, 10 and 3. Honestly, we would have preferred to stay at WDW. The cabin was just too crowded with the 4 of us, and there wasn't enough on the ship to keep us busy. With a 2 bedroom timeshare, there's enough room that you can get away from the others if need be. In one room, or even 2 with kids, you're right on top of each other and so you do need time away from each other.

Personally, I would choose either WDW or a RCCL ship, preferably the Oasis ;) or even a Freedom or Voyager class ship. Not Carnival though.

Obviously you're going to have a fabulous time no matter where you choose to go. :D

For my child, I don't really agree that 3 is too young to appreciate Disney. I first took my son to WDW about 3 months before his third birthday, and we had a fabulous time! My family are all early risers, so that helps - we made up a framework like itinerary of which parks we wanted to go to and went from there. If you are early risers it helps to find out which parks open early on what days. He was somewhat pooped out by lunchtime, so I'd take him back to the room for a nap before heading out to whatever we had planned for the evening.

That being said, my family did the Disney cruise this past summer (son was 4 1/2 for that one), and again we all had a fabulous time. The kids loved going to the kids club, and we enjoyed some adults only time. I'm cruising again this summer, just my son and myself and I can't wait, but I'm sure we'll be back at Disney again next year!!

The funny thing is that he actually remembers both trips and actively talks about them. Does he remember EVERY detail? No. But he asks when we're going back to see Doofy, and the cute doggy in the house ride (the rabid dog in the Hanted Mansion ride :eek:), but he's also been talking nonstop about going on a big boat again - although I keep reminding him Mickey won't be there this time.

Whichever you choose, I hope you and your family have as great of a time as we did!

thanks everyone! we're going to do the cruise this year and then look to do disney next year. we live in NJ, so the kids don't go back to school until the wed after labor-day, so late aug would work. i also found out that the NJ Teacher's Convention is late in 2011, so we could go that week (kids would only miss 2 days of school) and still be home for halloween.

as for when my oldest turns 10, that may be factor in our timing (aug vs. 2nd week of nov 2011)

Just a note from a former NJ resident (I escaped;)), DW can get mobbed during NJEA conference time - WD's biggest single state market is NJ.

boulders - great to see another smuggs owner here! we usually go week 6 - great conditions and no crowds. we're also going for our second summer week in July. As wintershare owners, we have lots of RCI points to burn. when do you usually go?

you might ask...why don't we just use our points to go to a carribean resort rather than a cruise?....well, I like the idea of some variety in locations and some of the fun & learning experiences that the kids will also get while on excursions. while we do want some of our own time, we do expect to spend good quality time with our kids. i'm sure we can get a couple nights for us to go to shows, etc and other nights where we all hang out as a family while on the cruise.

Smuggs, I own a Familyshare. Lots of points to burn too. We're off to WDW a few times this year. ;) We usually head to Smuggs early July/ before Xmas/Labor Day.

The RCCL ships give me a Smuggs-like experience at sea. Too many things to do and not enough time to do them. :D

I've done disney in late August, since we don't start school until labor day and it was VERY crowded and hot. My kids enjoy cruising and Disney. A cruise is so much more relaxing and the Dream is fun. The younger kids will love the waterworks area. My 2 and 4yr old loved going there and they begged for camp carnival everyday. There are also 3 other slides for the older kids. It has a nice 18hold golf course. We would drop off the kids at 7 p.m. and have finish desert and have some nice adult time and go to the shows alone. Have a great trip!

I have to start off by saying I love Disney! Our favorite family vacation was to WDW for 9 days...we went end of June and it was very hot! Like...5th level of hades type of hot! August would be the same- but having said that if you plan your day right you would be fine. We made sure we were up early and at the park by rope drop (park opening). Left around lunch time- went back to our room for lunch, naps and swimming. Then showers and freshening up- to head back to parks for evening. It rains almost every day in summertime...but usually only for a short while. It really is a non-stop trip though- we needed a vacation when we got back from the vacation!:) But my kids (6 and 2-about to turn 3 at the time) loved it and always talk about it.

We're trying a cruise this summer because we want something more laid back and relaxing- while still offering fun stuff to do...so it really depends on what type of family you have. Some families may feel it is boring on a cruise- while obviously others love it and will not spend a vacation any other way...

Either way, you will all have a fantastic time, for sure!!! Would the kids be OK to miss a week of school...probably at their ages it would be fine. So better to cruise in October now- because once they get in middle and high school it becomes more difficult to miss a whole week of school...just another thing to consider, right? ;)

Cruise---the 3 year old is still too young to appreciate Disney and it's wonders! They tire easily, get overloaded with all the "hoopla", melt-down and everyone is miserable!

The perfect age for Disneyworld is around 6 and up....you're never too old, but you CAN be too young!

How many times have you been with a child under 6? I have been 6 times with a child under 6. In fact 2 children under 6 and we have had the most "magical" times. After age 5 they know that things are not real and you loose a bit of the magic IMO. Under 6 they think the princesses are real, that Cinderella lives in the castle. It is just amazing. And if you don't go, go, go nonstop they will NOT have metldowns. We have had some very relaxing vacations at WDW. We go to the parks at opening time until about 1:00 and then nap and swim. We don't return until about 6:00 to enjoy the evening parades and fireworks. You can't see it all if you stay 2 weeks so don't try. Make a list of what's important to each of you and just do those things first.

The summer is HOT though. We decided not to go to WDW this summer and wait until January to go again. We are going to disneyland one day before this cruise though. We just LOVE it too much!

Disney can be cheap in October. They usually have some sort of deal running. You have 5 so I suggest Port Orleans Riverside. The price is in the middle and it is a beautiful resort. You can get the room with trundle beds.

If you want a compromise how about 4 days at disney at a 3 day cruise to relax?

yep - missing school is something to consider....but we will ALWAYS take them out for our annual ski trip in Feburary right before president's week (it's only 4 days that they miss rather than 5). this makes for great family time, great skiing, and learning opportunities that are just as important as the few days of school that they will miss.

Ok...I would say look at the factor of whether you will plan on cruising in the future...or plan on doing multiple disney trips.

We went to Disney last year in Jan...which I might say was the best time to go. Not crowded and not hot...we went for 9 days and LOVED it! Our son was 1 1/2 at the time...so we said we will go again once he is probabl 5...so he can ride the small rollercoasters. Even at 1 1/2 he was able to ride A LOT of rides..which is the great thing about Disney..even your youngest will have plenty to do. :)

If you plan on cruising often..then I say go to Disney in Oct. We plan on going to disney every few years until he is old enough to where he doesn't want to go.

My kids love both!! We have sailed Carnival near halloween and they have a great trick or treating treasure hunt that ends in a costume party in one of the disco's. My kids also love Disney, the chracters, roller coasters, fun. It depends on what you are looking to do. A cruise is nice because everything is right there and you dont have to alter your plans if one child gets tired. If your 3 yr old is tired, one you can go back to the cabin with her while the rest of the family still enjoys the activities. At a park, your stuck until everyone is ready to leave. Also August is one of the hotest months in Fl, very very humid. Is there any other time you can go?

Archived