Alaska 2011

happylady

We were booked as part of a Cruise Critic "Official" group. So our rep at CruCon just transferred us to another CC group. When we pick our Alaskan cruise, she'll switch us again.

I told my DH that I want to try to catch the fish at Pike's!! :eek:

hey, thanks for the reply! We went to Alaska last year with Princess and it was awesome. Probably wont go back again until after we retire though. Not enough vacation time to really do it right and that flight home from Anchorage and work the next day. ugh!

Bill

We are planning to do Alaska next July. I have a cousin who is getting married in Seattle, so my husband said "Cruise Alaska!" It's something he's always wanted to do, and since we'll be in Seattle anyway, we might as well go!

We are planning to do Alaska next July. I have a cousin who is getting married in Seattle, so my husband said "Cruise Alaska!" It's something he's always wanted to do, and since we'll be in Seattle anyway, we might as well go!

Wow!! My DH has always wanted to cruise Alaska too, but I had to convince him!! The price for the CC group this May was such a steal that he didn't have any second thoughts. Hoping we can get a group going and get a great deal for 2011.

hey, thanks for the reply! We went to Alaska last year with Princess and it was awesome. Probably wont go back again until after we retire though. Not enough vacation time to really do it right and that flight home from Anchorage and work the next day. ugh!

Bill

Hey! We went late August last year on Diamond Princess. WOW!!!! Three Days in Vancouver, 7 Days on Diamond, one Day in Anchorage and as you say a l-o-n-g flight home to Florida from Anchorage. Diamond was great - it's large enough that even in 7 days there were places/events we didn't get to see/do.

We booked the Early Booking Fare when the cruise opened for booking and ended-up at almost exactly half that fare (our Excursions were more than the Cruisefare!). The Princess Reps enthusiastically and cooperatively handled all our Price Drop requests, and voluntarily reduced the Princess Trip Protection premium each time (we used Princess Trip Protection for their included 75% Cancel for Any Reason CREDIT).

We felt Princess was a bit more conservative/elegant and ALL the crew very friendly. Food about the same, but didn't like the cramped food station area in the Buffet (but nicer Buffet seating). For whale-watching in Juneau, in retrospect I'd have done Whale-watching in Vancouver, or, in Juneau I'd sign-up for one of the smaller, independent excursions - too many people crammed in the boat.

ken

Am I the only one that's impatiently waiting for the posting of the Alaska 2011 schedule? :o

How else is interested??:D

Carnival has destroyed their Alaska cruise program. We were lucky enough to cruise on the Spirit last June under the old itineraries. These new itineraries are horrible. Lets hope they go back to the old ways in 2011.

For whale-watching in Juneau, in retrospect I'd have done Whale-watching in Vancouver, or, in Juneau I'd sign-up for one of the smaller, independent excursions - too many people crammed in the boat. ken

Before I had to cancel this years trip, I had made reservation with Adventures in Alaska (Cap'n Jack on the Scania) for the whale watching in Juneau. They take a max of 8 people. The price was great and they were nice as can be. We'll definitely go with them next year. We really liked the idea of a smaller boat.

Carnival has destroyed their Alaska cruise program. We were lucky enough to cruise on the Spirit last June under the old itineraries. These new itineraries are horrible. Lets hope they go back to the old ways in 2011.

I'm curious....I've heard this same opinion from a few people in the this thread and others. :oAs a newbie to the Alaskan itineraries, could you explain why the other schedule was better? Scenery, ports or call, departure days, etc. Thanks

Carnivals itineraries last year were northbound and southbound.

I believe they switched to roundtrip out of Seattle. When leaving from Seattle its not as scenic, you can't get too far north before you have to turn around, and you spend less time in ports.

Plus if you don't have a lot of vacation time Carnival doesn't do you any favors leaving in the middle of the week instead of the weekend.

Bill

Carnivals itineraries last year were northbound and southbound.

I believe they switched to roundtrip out of Seattle. When leaving from Seattle its not as scenic, you can't get too far north before you have to turn around, and you spend less time in ports.

Plus if you don't have a lot of vacation time Carnival doesn't do you any favors leaving in the middle of the week instead of the weekend.

Bill

Ohhhhh, now I understand. I also was wondering ...is there any advantage to a northbound vs. a southbound?

Ohhhhh, now I understand. I also was wondering ...is there any advantage to a northbound vs. a southbound?

Their are advantages and disadvantages.

You get more time in ports and go farther.

The disadvantage to me was the open jaw tickets to fly to Vancouver and another ticket to fly home Anchorage.

If your cruise ends in Anchorage you could extend your vacation and go to Denali.

The air cost me more than the cruise.

We got the cruise for $349pp.

I'm no expert by any means since I only did it once. If Budget Queen would see this she could definitely give you much more insight.

She is on the ports of call board for Alaska.

Bill

Their are advantages and disadvantages.

You get more time in ports and go farther.

The disadvantage to me was the open jaw tickets to fly to Vancouver and another ticket to fly home Anchorage.

If your cruise ends in Anchorage you could extend your vacation and go to Denali.

The air cost me more than the cruise.

We got the cruise for $349pp.

I'm no expert by any means since I only did it once. If Budget Queen would see this she could definitely give you much more insight.

She is on the ports of call board for Alaska.

Bill

The cost of the airfare to Anchorage and Vancouver was a concern, that is why we jumped at the round trip from Seattle. It's really funny about the airfare though....when researching the cost, West Palm Beach to Seattle with a stop in Atlanta was cheaper than just Atlanta to Seattle. Atlanta is closer to where our son attends college and I checking out his options.

No. Meaning Southbound would be Whittier (Anchorage) to Vancouver and Northbound Vancouver to Whittier (Anchorage).

We did 2 Alaska trips in 2004 and 2008 both were northbound in July

and loved the cruises.

However starting in 2009 Carnival started doing Round trips from Washington

and no longer leave out of Vancouver. I don't like this myself as we enjoyed

staying in Anchorage afterwards.

Wow!! My DH has always wanted to cruise Alaska too, but I had to convince him!! The price for the CC group this May was such a steal that he didn't have any second thoughts. Hoping we can get a group going and get a great deal for 2011.

Hi Kathi,

My wife, Susan, and I and many friends have cruised Alaska several times. We are going again on Radiance May 8 for 13 nights out of San Diego.

How about us planning on setting up a CC group for May 2011? Let's keep in touch. My e-mail address is shaffar1@sbcglobal.net

Bob

Hi Kathi,

My wife, Susan, and I and many friends have cruised Alaska several times. We are going again on Radiance May 8 for 13 nights out of San Diego.

How about us planning on setting up a CC group for May 2011? Let's keep in touch. My e-mail address is shaffar1@sbcglobal.net

Bob

Wow!! Just looked over your May 8th cruise and it looks great! It would be worth it just to be able to also visit San Francisco. Plus I couldn't believe the awesome price.

Once Carnival posts for 2011, hopefully we can get a group interested and approach CC.

crusinlarge - I've never really looked at Princess that much. But what I have seen looks really really nice. IMO a very elegant looking decor compared to Carnival.

I have several friends who go to Alaska and always go Princess , they love it .

Happy, there is something that won't wash off all over the bottom of your post , just below your signature :rolleyes::D:D

Happy, there is something that won't wash off all over the bottom of your post , just below your signature :rolleyes::D:D

LOL Ya, well, it's there to stay!! It's what the schools south of it look up to literally and figuratively!! LOL :D;):D

Wow!! Just looked over your May 8th cruise and it looks great! It would be worth it just to be able to also visit San Francisco. Plus I couldn't believe the awesome price.

Once Carnival posts for 2011, hopefully we can get a group interested and approach CC.

We booked this cruise the very day RCCL opened their books for Alaska 2010. We actually got our dead center hump D1 balcony cabins for $1600pp + port and taxes. We thought for 13 nights that was a great price. We were also fortunate to obtain $500 OBCs (stockholders, next cruise certificate, TA benefit, etc.):D. After this, we will never again have the ability to use all these OBCs since RCCL has changed their policy of combining discounts. :(BOO!!

Bob

We booked this cruise the very day RCCL opened their books for Alaska 2010. We actually got our dead center hump D1 balcony cabins for $1600pp + port and taxes. We thought for 13 nights that was a great price. We were also fortunate to obtain $500 OBCs (stockholders, next cruise certificate, TA benefit, etc.):D. After this, we will never again have the ability to use all these OBCs since RCCL has changed their policy of combining discounts. :(BOO!!

Bob

What a great deal!! It sounds like you're going to have a fantastic time...enjoy the OBC.

Bob

Last spring I used my last time to get two OBCs on RCL, no more now. So, you must have had this booked for quite a while as they changed the rules early 2009.

So when is everyone thinking about going to Alaska.

We're thinking about sometime in May. Might go towards the end of the month to celebrate our son's 21st birthday.

We're planning on late June or July 2011 (we teach so can only go in the summer).

Still waiting patiently for the schedule and pricing....

Last spring I used my last time to get two OBCs on RCL, no more now. So, you must have had this booked for quite a while as they changed the rules early 2009.

We booked it in March 09 just before the new rules about combining came out plus we had purchased our Next Cruise on Serenade in May 08. So all in all we had the right timing and got very lucky:D.

We're planning on late June or July 2011 (we teach so can only go in the summer).

Still waiting patiently for the schedule and pricing....

No more waiting!! The 2011 itinerary is posted. :D:D

We'll probably book the May 24 cruise so we can celebrate our son's 21st birthday which is on the 26th.

Archived