Jellyfish in June

Barb Nahoumi

Hi

We plan to be in Bermuda in early June. From what I have read, Jellyfish may be around at that time.

Would anybody have an idea of which beaches are least likely to have these stinging pests?

I love to watch them in aquariums, but don't want them near me when I'm swimming.

Thanks,

Barb

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for sending these links. As one poster said-----see one on the beach, I stay out of the water. ME TOO!!!

I grew up on the ocean, north shore of Massachusetts, and have been stung on numerous occassions. OUCH!!!

It is true that Portuguese Men of War have no propulsion of their own. They, like 'By the wind sailors," depend on wind currents. However, conventional jellyfish can move through the ocean by opening & closing their bells.

One day while walking along a beach on Nantucket, DH & I spotted some Men of War washed up by the tide. We never knew that Men of War came this far north, but they must ride the gulf stream.

I have been every been to bermuda over 10 times and I have never seen one at the beach we go to including last summer. I just think it is hit or miss like most say but mostly misses. i guess I have been lucky not to have seen any..

• 1 month later...

We were at Horseshoe Bay in early June last year and the beach was covered with Men of War. That's when I was told that they could still sting even though they had been on the beach for a while. Dangerous creatures! We went to Clearwater Beach the next day & there weren't any to be seen. Just depends on the currents!

We saw these "man of wars" once in our 3 trips to Bermuda. This was in early June many, many years ago. They were washed up on one of the beaches and I can't remember which one it was.

I returned to Bermuda a couple of years ago w/family. I just couldn't bring myself to go in the water (even though there were none to be seen).

The rest of my family had no problems going in the water and they were all fine. :)

http://www.bermuda-attractions.com

The above website is very informative. The following was a response to my question regarding swimming safety and the Man of War. I also read that vinegar or rubbing alcohol is an antidote to use if stung. Brrrrrrrrr

"Portuguese man of war are sometimes visible in Bermuda waters or near the shore mostly during spring and early summer. However, you don't see tons of them, but occasionally.

Due to storms or strong winds, they get swept towards the shore. Otherwise, these marine creatures would generally like to be in the mid sea where they can hunt for the fishes.

I would advise you to stay far away from these if you happen to spot one. Their stings can be very painful and the venom quite poisonous."

Having said that, I would also like to say that Bermuda beaches are generally very safe. Only in rare occasions will you find visitors having spotted or complaining about such man of the war.

http://www.bermuda-attractions.com

I've lived in Bermuda my whole live and never once have I come close to being stung by a man o war. They are really easy to see because their float sticks up above the water and their dark purple tentacles show up clearly against the white sand in shallow water.

Been stung by plenty of moon jellies though. They are nearly completely clear and hard to see, but the sting is nothing to worry about.

It is very important to note that man o wars are NOT jellyfish and there fore require different treatment. If you use vinegar on a MOW sting it will make it worse! Meat tenderizer is what you use on a MOW sting. If you forgot to bring it, urine works well too. You can use anyone's but I prefer to use my own, I don't know why, it's just how I am.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My family had the pleasure of visiting Horseshoe Bay last Thursday (6/3). We did see 2 Portugese Man o War jellyfish during our visit. While swimming, I noticed what appeared to be a blue bottle floating on the surface a few hundred feet out. Before I could become concerned, the lifeguard was paddling by on his surfboard with a hand net and scooped it up. I spoke with him afterward and he stated they usually see them before they become an issue and get them out.

Also, since they essentially driven by wind and current they tend to end up on one side of the beach. While facing the water, the wind and current was going from right to left. This made the right side of the beach safer.

All in all a fabulous time!!!!

Archived