cost of airfare to Europe for Sept

takemewithyou

Looking for some advice on prices of airfare to Europe this summer. We need airfare from PHX to VCE and then return FCO to PHX. Prices are running about $1100 on up pp right now. Carriers with lowest prices and best connections are Delta, US Air and Continental.

The question is.....book now to lock in a price or wait to see if prices drop. From what I am reading, prices may only increase as time goes on.

$1100 isn't a bad price. UA has already done a cycle of sales and is coming off the low prices now. I think as the weather gets better, you will see people rushing to finalize their summer plans- so airlines may keep their prices up for a while to take advantage of this.

Edited- I just looked at the choices (using hypothetical dates). Fares may drop a small amount, but considering the various options, and the possibility of getting a less than desirable routing or other complexities (such as very short layovers), I don't see any real good reason to wait.

By the way, BA had the cheapest fares, just under $1100, but several less than desirable conditions.

The rates this year are higher than last as the econmomy and lack of as many flights is driving rates up. Personally I'd bite now. Certainly by the end of March. At least you can pick the most convenient flights and seating before they run out. That's impt to me on those loooong flights.

If you can afford it I'd buy, it looks decent for summer price.

We paid about that much from LAX to Philly and on to VCE and returning thru Barcelona.

We had 11 in our party some waited till later and saw prices go up a couple hundred than down... it all depends on demand, once the cheap seats go you could see it rise or if demand is low a promos.

Looking for some advice on prices of airfare to Europe this summer. We need airfare from PHX to VCE and then return FCO to PHX. Prices are running about $1100 on up pp right now. Carriers with lowest prices and best connections are Delta, US Air and Continental.

The question is.....book now to lock in a price or wait to see if prices drop. From what I am reading, prices may only increase as time goes on.

• 3 weeks later...

Book it! I think anything under $1200 for Europe is a good price. Also as eandj said by booking early you have a better shot a picking the best seats. I booked in December for a June flight on BA and was able to pick exit row seats with lots of leg room :)

There are sites (Faretracker, I think is one) that keep track of fares moving up or down. But I agree fares aren't likely to come down. And you're not traveling from or two the largest gateways that have more competition (e.g., LAX or JFK on one end and Rome or London on the other). Biggest disadvantage of booking early is that most fares are non-refundable/non-changeable, at least not without big fees. Thought of spring for a travel agent? Costs a few dollars, but you're spending thousands total.

p.s. I do see you're flying out of Rome on the return, but overall you're not flying the cheapest routes or those most likely to have sales. And summer is peak travel time. I agree the fares you've found don't look bad, considering the cities and time involved.

Archived